Storing generator and spare fuel in the van?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by martin1485, Apr 14, 2015.

1. martin1485

martin1485 Funster

Has anyone found a way of storing these in the van without having a strong petrol smell invading the habitation area? I have tried double bagging etc but still get the smell of fuel vapour. We have a van conversion so do not have the benefit of a separate garage area.

2. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

Hi,Martin we have a small genny that fits in a large toolbox from B and Q its just the right size to fit through the doors we keep it in the shower, make sure lids are on tight on both the genny and fuel container and wipe down with soapy cloth dry off well very little smell after doing this .

• Like Like x 1
  3. sallylillian

sallylillian Funster Life Member

There is an alternative which was recomended to us for our Yamaha generator, for the life of me I cannot remember but will look late when at my store. It does not smell like petrol.

• Like Like x 1
  4. icantremember

icantremember Funster

LPG conversion! .... No petrol to carry.(y)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Zains Pops

Zains Pops Funster

How often do you use it? I bought a Honda unit, had the same issue, it now sits at home in the garage waiting for the next major power cut. The van is lighter, smell free and as we never used it we never miss it!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ranger

Ranger Funster

We put ours in a large vacuum bag like you would use for clothes etc but DONT under any circumstances use a vacuum to remove the air as in doing so would pull the fumes though the sparking cleaner motor and I don't want to think what could happen then! A friend made an air tight wooden box for his.

• Like Like x 1
  7. voyagerstan

voyagerstan Read Only Funster

Dump the the noisey smelly antisocial thing and get some solar fit and forget . :cooler: STAN

• Like Like x 3
  8. sallylillian

sallylillian Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  9. andy63

andy63 Funster

Hi Martin. Got a panel van conversion.. went for external storage and likewise with spare fuel... The generator is chained to metalwork and usually covered when travelling. The shelf is on slides which allows the door to open ..pictures attached I hope...
    Ta andy 20150414_121224.jpg 20150414_121300.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. rickwiggans

rickwiggans Funster

Serious question, not arguing with your view, but how do the solar aficionados (we also use solar by the way, as well as a generator in some circumstances) get on in the depths of winter, short days, low sun, and panels covered in snow?

• Like Like x 2
  11. maz

maz Funster

In winter in the UK we are only on EHU. From mid-April to October, solar generally keeps up with our usage no problem. However, the genny is our 'comfort blanket' in that after a few days of heavy rain (think P'boro Show 2012) we can still charge the batteries. Solar and generators are not mutually exclusive. :wink:

Re storage: the generator is stored in the underbed locker in its own carry bag. Petrol is stored in a metal petrol can - no smell at all. Previously used a plastic petrol can and that did smell.

12. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Sold Honda 10i after fitting B2B, by far the best thing we have done to date. I think we used the gene 3 times in 3 years.

• Like Like x 3