Storing generator and spare fuel in the van? (1 Viewer)

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
Has anyone found a way of storing these in the van without having a strong petrol smell invading the habitation area? I have tried double bagging etc but still get the smell of fuel vapour. We have a van conversion so do not have the benefit of a separate garage area.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi,Martin we have a small genny that fits in a large toolbox from B and Q its just the right size to fit through the doors we keep it in the shower, make sure lids are on tight on both the genny and fuel container and wipe down with soapy cloth dry off well very little smell after doing this .

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
There is an alternative which was recomended to us for our Yamaha generator, for the life of me I cannot remember but will look late when at my store. It does not smell like petrol.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
How often do you use it? I bought a Honda unit, had the same issue, it now sits at home in the garage waiting for the next major power cut. The van is lighter, smell free and as we never used it we never miss it!

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
We put ours in a large vacuum bag like you would use for clothes etc but DONT under any circumstances use a vacuum to remove the air as in doing so would pull the fumes though the sparking cleaner motor and I don't want to think what could happen then! A friend made an air tight wooden box for his.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi Martin. Got a panel van conversion.. went for external storage and likewise with spare fuel... The generator is chained to metalwork and usually covered when travelling. The shelf is on slides which allows the door to open ..pictures attached I hope...
Ta andy
20150414_121224.jpg
20150414_121300.jpg

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Dump the the noisey smelly antisocial thing and get some solar fit and forget
Serious question, not arguing with your view, but how do the solar aficionados (we also use solar by the way, as well as a generator in some circumstances) get on in the depths of winter, short days, low sun, and panels covered in snow?

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
In winter in the UK we are only on EHU. From mid-April to October, solar generally keeps up with our usage no problem. However, the genny is our 'comfort blanket' in that after a few days of heavy rain (think P'boro Show 2012) we can still charge the batteries. Solar and generators are not mutually exclusive. :wink:

Re storage: the generator is stored in the underbed locker in its own carry bag. Petrol is stored in a metal petrol can - no smell at all. Previously used a plastic petrol can and that did smell.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back