Storage question (1 Viewer)

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We have had our vans in a COSSOA gold site for about 10 years now and today we received a letter saying that it had changed hands. In order to continue using the site we have been told that we have to provide two of the following, current utility bill or a passport or photo driving licence plus a copy of the insurance for the van. Is this industry standard or are they having a laugh?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Don't know, arse covering exercise? Confirmation of address?

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We have used a couple of Cassoa sites including the gold one our van is parked on now. So far, never been asked for any form of ID. Maybe an email to Cassoa will clarify whether this is reasonable or not?

Paul

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
This is an extract from the Link Removedguide for site owners.. you can download the pdf Link Removed

Records
Accurate records should be kept of all plot holders which should be updated
as and when necessary. All details provided should, wherever possible,
be verified either by driving license or passport. In particular, if someone
is seeking storage for an old caravan for a short period, ask for some
documentary evidence of address such as a utility bill.

Insurance Details

The plot holder’s insurance documents should be examined prior to the storage
contract(s) being exchanged. It would be wise to check that the insurance
is valid for the term of the storage contract(s), and applies to the caravan or
motorhome being stored. Where applicable, make sure that the CRiS reference
number on the caravan matches that on the insurance documents.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
our storage yard is cassoa gold too, never been asked for anything apart from bank details, pay monthly.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I doubt they are doing it for fun, probably as much hassle for them to log the results as for you to send them :)

As Jim says, rules and regs, new owners, maybe new to the scheme want to be seen to be good

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Sound like perhaps the new owners are doing things properly, the old owners and other long term site owners probably weren't/aren't.

Ours lives on a Cassoa site and I don't remember providing anything like that to them either.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
As above, cassoa gold pay yearly by bank xfer and never been asked for anything else!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Doesn't seem unreasonable if the new owners are keen to do it by the book.

In return you might ask to see the small print in their contract - we once got stung by a storage site who insisted on us paying a year's rental up front. When we left they kept three months' worth of payments as compensation for 'loss of earnings'. Miserable gits ran a farm and a campsite so they weren't short of a few bob. Problem was there was no small print to refer to.

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Hi Neil,
We have our RV stored on a Cossa gold site in Sheffield and have to show 2 types of id plus a copy of our insurance every year. This is so they have proof that the vehicle is insured and that you do actually live at the address you have given. This is requested by the owners from advice given to them by the police as any incident on the site can then be traced.

Mick

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 A Class P/Line
Exp
We had to show driving licence and a utility bill when we booked our space in the cassoa storage yard and insurance details.

Liz

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I ran a storage site back in the 70s. I kept records of the name, address, vehicle reg. Make , model of the caravan/boat or motorhome, chassis numbers and phone number of the clients. This was before Data Protection came into force. Every van had to be insured as a condition of storage. (It is not possible to insure property that does not belong to you, so I couldn't offer any cover while in storage).

My clients were logged in and out of the site, even if they didn't bring in or remove anything.

The Police did come from time to time and asked to inspect my records when they were looking for stolen caravans.

I was not CaSSOA registered it wasn't in existence then and this was before CRiS reference number were brought in.

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
We have to provide insurance details and car reg if you are leaving on site

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I think it's a reasonable request and would be happy to provide the information asked for as long as the information was used in accordance with the DPA. :)

If I had a storage site I would want to be sure who had brought what onto my property. I would not want a stolen van stored there for sure!

OP
OP
TheTwoOfUs
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Thanks for your replies.
It looks as though they are tightening up their security which is a good thing but from my point of view, I am not happy to give copies of passports etc to anyone, especially a company that doesn't even have the names of the directors on their letterheads. The CaSSOA recommendations are that they have sight of the documents, not keep copies. I will probably have to comply but I shall be making my misgivings known.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Sorry I didn't realise they wanted to keep copies. Not so sure about that....... but as an employer I had to keep a copy of certain pages from employees' passports. I was never happy about that and kept the copies in the safe :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back