Storage question

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by TheTwoOfUs, Jan 13, 2016.

1. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

We have had our vans in a COSSOA gold site for about 10 years now and today we received a letter saying that it had changed hands. In order to continue using the site we have been told that we have to provide two of the following, current utility bill or a passport or photo driving licence plus a copy of the insurance for the van. Is this industry standard or are they having a laugh?

2. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Don't know, arse covering exercise? Confirmation of address?

3. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

We have used a couple of Cassoa sites including the gold one our van is parked on now. So far, never been asked for any form of ID. Maybe an email to Cassoa will clarify whether this is reasonable or not?

Paul

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

This is an extract from the CaSSOA guide for site owners.. you can download the pdf http://www.cassoa.co.uk/im-a-storage-site-owner/cassoa-guide-to-secure-caravan-storage-2/

Records
    Accurate records should be kept of all plot holders which should be updated
    as and when necessary. All details provided should, wherever possible,
    be verified either by driving license or passport. In particular, if someone
    is seeking storage for an old caravan for a short period, ask for some
    documentary evidence of address such as a utility bill.

Insurance Details

The plot holder’s insurance documents should be examined prior to the storage
    contract(s) being exchanged. It would be wise to check that the insurance
    is valid for the term of the storage contract(s), and applies to the caravan or
    motorhome being stored. Where applicable, make sure that the CRiS reference
    number on the caravan matches that on the insurance documents.

• Like Like x 4
  5. ianandkath

ianandkath Funster

our storage yard is cassoa gold too, never been asked for anything apart from bank details, pay monthly.

6. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I doubt they are doing it for fun, probably as much hassle for them to log the results as for you to send them :)

As Jim says, rules and regs, new owners, maybe new to the scheme want to be seen to be good

• Like Like x 1
  7. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Sound like perhaps the new owners are doing things properly, the old owners and other long term site owners probably weren't/aren't.

Ours lives on a Cassoa site and I don't remember providing anything like that to them either.

8. campa cola

campa cola Funster

As above, cassoa gold pay yearly by bank xfer and never been asked for anything else!

9. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Doesn't seem unreasonable if the new owners are keen to do it by the book.

In return you might ask to see the small print in their contract - we once got stung by a storage site who insisted on us paying a year's rental up front. When we left they kept three months' worth of payments as compensation for 'loss of earnings'. Miserable gits ran a farm and a campsite so they weren't short of a few bob. Problem was there was no small print to refer to.

• Like Like x 1
  10. runrig

runrig Funster Life Member

Hi Neil,
    We have our RV stored on a Cossa gold site in Sheffield and have to show 2 types of id plus a copy of our insurance every year. This is so they have proof that the vehicle is insured and that you do actually live at the address you have given. This is requested by the owners from advice given to them by the police as any incident on the site can then be traced.

Mick

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hyacinth 1

Hyacinth 1 Funster Life Member

We had to show driving licence and a utility bill when we booked our space in the cassoa storage yard and insurance details.

Liz

12. Charlie

Charlie Funster

If the new owners are a wee bit pedantic I would take that as a positive sign.... Better than those who dont care !

13. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

I ran a storage site back in the 70s. I kept records of the name, address, vehicle reg. Make , model of the caravan/boat or motorhome, chassis numbers and phone number of the clients. This was before Data Protection came into force. Every van had to be insured as a condition of storage. (It is not possible to insure property that does not belong to you, so I couldn't offer any cover while in storage).

My clients were logged in and out of the site, even if they didn't bring in or remove anything.

The Police did come from time to time and asked to inspect my records when they were looking for stolen caravans.

I was not CaSSOA registered it wasn't in existence then and this was before CRiS reference number were brought in.

14. musson

musson Funster

We have to provide insurance details and car reg if you are leaving on site

15. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I think it's a reasonable request and would be happy to provide the information asked for as long as the information was used in accordance with the DPA. :)

If I had a storage site I would want to be sure who had brought what onto my property. I would not want a stolen van stored there for sure!

16. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

Thanks for your replies.
    It looks as though they are tightening up their security which is a good thing but from my point of view, I am not happy to give copies of passports etc to anyone, especially a company that doesn't even have the names of the directors on their letterheads. The CaSSOA recommendations are that they have sight of the documents, not keep copies. I will probably have to comply but I shall be making my misgivings known.

17. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Sorry I didn't realise they wanted to keep copies. Not so sure about that....... but as an employer I had to keep a copy of certain pages from employees' passports. I was never happy about that and kept the copies in the safe :)