Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Just to set the scene.....
I'm fortunate (or at least I was) to park my 'van very close to home. It's parked at the rear of local shops and flats in a gated car park which should be for the owners of said flats and retail outlets only. If I stand on tippy toes, I can see the van from a bedroom window. The owner of these properties lets me park FOC. Win-win eh? I can start her up, play motorhomes and blow sunshine up the exhaust pipe, or stick the van temporarily on my front drive whilst I load up.

However, over the past year a diner-style caff has opened up, which has meant that a lot of customers think it's ok to park in the compound. Added to this, the flats have changed hands and a few miscreants have moved in. Assorted mattresses, fridges, 3-piece suites and all sorts of junk now litter the car park and adjacent green space.

Parking has become such a problem, that to ensure I can travel, I have to get the van out on a quiet weekend ahead of going anywhere! If this is not enough, there's now a car parked across my bows with a flat battery that belongs to the brother of a resident.

" You've had your freebie, time to move on" thinks I.

Soooo today, I start looking for storage.

Location 1: Full up; we'll take your number, but it's dead man's shoes here!

Location 2: Closed down due to constant arguments between Caravanners and Motorhomers.

Location 3: The owner won't take anything; caravan or moho with a value of more than £10,000 because of Travellers. He'd had an incident where a team of five Itinerant's tried to steal an expensive caravan. He said that they have 'scouts' on the look-out for decent vans and MH's, but aren't interested in old or low value ones - hence the ban on anything over £10k

The owner of location 3 then tells me that my name (James) is a good biblical name and asks if I read the Bible :eek: He embarks onto a long saga about how he found Jesus and how Dinosaurs were created by the Lord too. Evidently, creation of the world 6 million years BC is rubbish. It is the devil's way of deceiving us!

By this time, I had lost the will to live and came home. Storage became a distant aspiration!

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Location 3: The owner won't take anything; caravan or moho with a value of more than £10,000 because of Travellers. He'd had an incident where a team of five Itinerant's tried to steal an expensive caravan. He said that they have 'scouts' on the look-out for decent vans and MH's, but aren't interested in old or low value ones - hence the ban on anything over £10k

Wow...

I've not heard of this one before...

I can believe it though!

So, what will you do??

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Wow...

I can believe it though!

So, what will you do??

Well, after I had a cuppa and resigned myself to being a sinner and not getting salvation, I could do little else than widen the geographical net.
Found another place that is one of those 'Gold Standard' places. (A) It was expensive at £510p/a. Nice place though. (B) it was 28 miles away.
Finally, on a whim, I phoned a stables where my granddaughter rides. I've seen an MH there and there's a small CL next to the place. Turns out they have a storage facility that I've never seen. £250 for 6 months or £400p/a. Touch!
The drawback is that it's near Southend and 25 miles away :(.
Everything's a compromise eh?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
No chance of moving house...?

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Just to set the scene.....
I'm fortunate (or at least I was) to park my 'van very close to home. It's parked at the rear of local shops and flats in a gated car park which should be for the owners of said flats and retail outlets only. If I stand on tippy toes, I can see the van from a bedroom window. The owner of these properties lets me park FOC. Win-win eh? I can start her up, play motorhomes and blow sunshine up the exhaust pipe, or stick the van temporarily on my front drive whilst I load up.

However, over the past year a diner-style caff has opened up, which has meant that a lot of customers think it's ok to park in the compound. Added to this, the flats have changed hands and a few miscreants have moved in. Assorted mattresses, fridges, 3-piece suites and all sorts of junk now litter the car park and adjacent green space.

Parking has become such a problem, that to ensure I can travel, I have to get the van out on a quiet weekend ahead of going anywhere! If this is not enough, there's now a car parked across my bows with a flat battery that belongs to the brother of a resident.

" You've had your freebie, time to move on" thinks I.

Soooo today, I start looking for storage.

Location 1: Full up; we'll take your number, but it's dead man's shoes here!

Location 2: Closed down due to constant arguments between Caravanners and Motorhomers.

The owner of location 3 then tells me that my name (James) is a good biblical name and asks if I read the Bible :eek: He embarks onto a long saga about how he found Jesus and how Dinosaurs were created by the Lord too. Evidently, creation of the world 6 million years BC is rubbish. It is the devil's way of deceiving us!

By this time, I had lost the will to live and came home. Storage became a distant aspiration!
I've said a prayer for you wingman ;)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Ahem!

Feb 21, 2016
Tonbridge
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
£510 pa expensive?????
I have just moved my motorhome from a site that has just put their prices up to £960 pa

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
£510 pa expensive?????
I have just moved my motorhome from a site that has just put their prices up to £960 pa

BLIMEY!!! I thought that the £510 were Southern prices too. Obviously, Kent is pricey. Praps I'm out of touch! The one I looked at was a CaSSOA site. Loos and ban wash facilities etc. Shame it was too far away from me.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Remember and check with your insurer first, they need to approve where it is stored. If you are still looking for a CaSSOA site try the search function on there website. Insurer more likely to be happy with a CaSSOA site.

http://www.cassoa.co.uk/find-a-cassoa-site/

Deleted User
Wow! I was upset at £360 /annum. Double gate, camera's, hard standing, no pooling water and Gold standard insurance accreditation. Not trying to make you feel sick just had no idea, thought I was paying over the odds. Lots of choice in our area, guess supply and demand impacts on every transaction.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
£510 pa expensive?????
Wow..... I pay about £520 for internal storage on a Cassoa gold site !!!! I would pay more for internal storage if I had to as I have no desire to leave my Moho outside in a bad Scottish winter :(. 2009/10 springs to mind, sub zero temps for two months, feet of frozen ice and snow building up on vehicles left standing :(:(

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Well, after I had a cuppa and resigned myself to being a sinner and not getting salvation, I could do little else than widen the geographical net.
Found another place that is one of those 'Gold Standard' places. (A) It was expensive at £510p/a. Nice place though. (B) it was 28 miles away.
Finally, on a whim, I phoned a stables where my granddaughter rides. I've seen an MH there and there's a small CL next to the place. Turns out they have a storage facility that I've never seen. £250 for 6 months or £400p/a. Touch!

Hi wingman, I think we've spoken before ? about cb's, a mate of mine along the road parks his caravan somewhere in Upminster or Hornchurch ??, I'll ask him where it is and get back to you,(y)

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
And I was chested off when our Cassoa site went up from £365 to £440pa.

What on earth could Motorhomers and caravaners ago about the would lead to the site closing????????

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014

@wingman we've used Stondon Storage at Stondon Massey, not far from you, had no problems there and wasn't too expensive as I recall.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Wow...

I can believe it though!

So, what will you do??
My friend has caravans parked on the Farm, and he has cameras and IR sensors all over the place. However the countryside Criminal Fraternity, come over the fields with four wheel drives and they tries a couple of time to get a nice HOBBY four wheel caravan. They were seen and he went out only to get driven at, in their getaway. They meant it too.
You are not allowed to shot the wheels or radiator out ,as that is criminal damage with a firearm, and the Plod take the side of the victims of the damage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back