Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I had mine about twenty miles from home in a cassoa gold site undercover, but the cost was rapidly approaching £1000 pa. That was partly the reason for buying a cottage in the New Forest with enough room for storage.

The down side is I fear for a tree falling on it during high winds like last Sunday/Monday.

Whilst my van was undercover, it is my belief that the constant stop start is what put pay to the engine battery this year, plus undercover doesn't allow the solar to put anything back into the batteries.

They would move it in and out of the barn-like buildings to allow other vans to emerge.

Each time I went to pick up the van it was in a different barn to where I left it which is why I was desperate to move it, I also suspect that some of the scratches were caused by other users.

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Still only a year after many years camping
We've had to move ours from a cassoa site (@ £520pa for 20' van + 12' trailer) to a non-registered site with equal level of security for just £286pa.:Smile:

When we told our insurance (Comfort), they refused to insure us, and it cost an extra £150 to insure with Safeguard.:Angry:

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
We pay £25 a month for a non-cassoa but secure facility. It's a 20 minute drive but the owners are very friendly and allow 24 access. Despite having a waiting list they are keeping our space without charge until we get the new van in March.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I know people can not help it but i think if i was as concerned as some Funsters are about the security of there motorhomes i would not bother owning one. Its only a vehicle, unlike members of your family it is insured and replaceable . I know that after getting my van written off it was upsetting but hey we were alive and van was replaced via insurance pay out. RELAX it will extend your lifespan. BUSBY:roflmto::roflmto:

Peter_n_Margaret

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
Funster No
MH
"C" class 4WD DIY
Exp
About 20 years
Batteries when in storage

Whilst my van was undercover, it is my belief that the constant stop start is what put pay to the engine battery this year, plus undercover doesn't allow the solar to put anything back into the batteries.
Our MH in Oz is kept in a shed when we are away (up to 18 months).
I replaced a couple of sheets of iron on the roof with polycarbonate. That allows the solar panels to get enough light to keep the batteries topped up.

In any case, the self draining of AGM batteries is much lower than wet cell lead acids and they will easily last 6 months without damage, longer in cold conditions.

Cheers,
Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back