storage damage

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by chasthedagger, Jan 13, 2016.

1. chasthedagger

chasthedagger Funster

Sorry but this is not a motorhome problem, my daughter has a touring caravan and stores it at someones house we know and it is kept in there garden.
    Well she went to check on it and found that one side of the van has numerous dents, the van next to hers has similar damage, it would appear that as both vans are damaged in the same areas that the damage has occurred whilst in storage.
    She showed the damage to the owner of the house and his reply was that she must have had the damage when she returned it the last time she used it.
    As it is not a licensed storage i dont know if her insurance would cover the damage.

2. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Does she pay to store it there and does she have a written contract with them.

3. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

More importantly do her insurance company know it's kept there?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Burn their house down.

• Like Like x 2
  5. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

I'm not optimistic. Our MH is in storage in a fenced secure compound on a purpose-built site with contracts and everything, but when someone bashed a couple of caravans whilst driving through it all they apparently did was apologise for the inconvenience.

6. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Might well be the other person backing in or out, perhaps they had my wife watching them do it., like she did for me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

I had an Elddis motorhome some years back which I used to keep up my drive when I noticed a series of dings all along the back panel at the same height I couldn't figure this out until one day when I was in and the binmen had been, an old neighbour had been putting the wheely bin back and didn't stop pushing until he had hit the rear of the van :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  8. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

Even while in storage the van should be covered under its own insurance. A storage site owner cannot insure the vans in storage as they don't own them. They can only obtain public liability insurance. CoSSAO sites require the van is insured.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

If making an insurance claim, if they haven't told the insurance company where it is stored they may not pay out, if they have, no problem. If not probably best to say something like, it happened when they were parked for a couple of hours or something similar.

10. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Sorry but if it's a "gentleman's" agreement between your daughter and the other chap then she does not have a leg to stand on and the insurance company will not pay out if the address where the caravan is registered is different to the where it is stored. As @Yorick as stated "burn their house down", but make sure no one is in first;)

• Like Like x 1