storage damage (1 Viewer)

Apr 28, 2008
rayleigh, essex.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry but this is not a motorhome problem, my daughter has a touring caravan and stores it at someones house we know and it is kept in there garden.
Well she went to check on it and found that one side of the van has numerous dents, the van next to hers has similar damage, it would appear that as both vans are damaged in the same areas that the damage has occurred whilst in storage.
She showed the damage to the owner of the house and his reply was that she must have had the damage when she returned it the last time she used it.
As it is not a licensed storage i dont know if her insurance would cover the damage.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Does she pay to store it there and does she have a written contract with them.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
More importantly do her insurance company know it's kept there?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I'm not optimistic. Our MH is in storage in a fenced secure compound on a purpose-built site with contracts and everything, but when someone bashed a couple of caravans whilst driving through it all they apparently did was apologise for the inconvenience.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Might well be the other person backing in or out, perhaps they had my wife watching them do it., like she did for me.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I had an Elddis motorhome some years back which I used to keep up my drive when I noticed a series of dings all along the back panel at the same height I couldn't figure this out until one day when I was in and the binmen had been, an old neighbour had been putting the wheely bin back and didn't stop pushing until he had hit the rear of the van :eek:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Even while in storage the van should be covered under its own insurance. A storage site owner cannot insure the vans in storage as they don't own them. They can only obtain public liability insurance. CoSSAO sites require the van is insured.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If making an insurance claim, if they haven't told the insurance company where it is stored they may not pay out, if they have, no problem. If not probably best to say something like, it happened when they were parked for a couple of hours or something similar.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Sorry but if it's a "gentleman's" agreement between your daughter and the other chap then she does not have a leg to stand on and the insurance company will not pay out if the address where the caravan is registered is different to the where it is stored. As @Yorick as stated "burn their house down", but make sure no one is in first;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back