Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
What is it with some motorhomers (over on the other side) that they say they avoid stopping in Calais, drive straight out and on to somewhere safe?:RollEyes:
We have been stopping overnight in Calais since our first trip in 2005 and make a point of it going and returning.
Yes, Calais has it's seedy side (just like Dover) but there are great parts too, like the beach that you look on to if you are parked up at the aire. Restaurants, Frites vans, interesting walks in the town, old town and new town, places of historical interest - yes, we built the forts.
We have never encountered trouble and the aire is regularly patrolled by the police. Nowadays you rarely see any migrants loitering.
And there is never a shortage of Brit registered vans staying overnight! We’ll be there tomorrow night!:thumb:

We have stayed overnight at Cite Europe too. Perfectly safe with the gendarmerie next to the carpark. You do see the occasional migrant looking around but if you are sensible - securing your bikes properly and not leaving things of value in sight - you should have no worries at all.

I think there is a bit of scare mongering going on
Mike and Annie:Smile::Cool:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
What is it with some motorhomers (over on the other side) that they say they avoid stopping in Calais, drive straight out and on to somewhere safe?:RollEyes:
We have been stopping overnight in Calais since our first trip in 2005 and make a point of it going and returning.
Yes, Calais has it's seedy side (just like Dover) but there are great parts too, like the beach that you look on to if you are parked up at the aire. Restaurants, Frites vans, interesting walks in the town, old town and new town, places of historical interest - yes, we built the forts.
We have never encountered trouble and the aire is regularly patrolled by the police. Nowadays you rarely see any migrants loitering.
And there is never a shortage of Brit registered vans staying overnight! We’ll be there tomorrow night!:thumb:

We have stayed overnight at Cite Europe too. Perfectly safe with the gendarmerie next to the carpark. You do see the occasional migrant looking around but if you are sensible - securing your bikes properly and not leaving things of value in sight - you should have no worries at all.

I think there is a bit of scare mongering going on
Mike and Annie:Smile::Cool:

yes it is scaremongering and normally by people who have never even been or tried it

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We stopped there last October overnight waiting for morning ferry never felt nervous just check every thing locked up before going out for a meal and checked again when got back I was sat on harbour wall at 11 pm having a beer with a couple of Dutch lads

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We're off to Calais for the first time on the aire on Monday after 3 days on the ASCI site at Blankenburg, great little town with plenty going on and a good beach, if a little windy today. 15 minutes on the train to Bruges at €4 each. :thumb:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Agreed.

We've used both the Port and Bassin Ouest aires without any bother on numerous occasions.

I had some misgivings about the Cite Europe parking a few years ago before the authorities cleared out the 'Swamp' migrant camp, but I've not seen any dodgy characters round there on the last few visits.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
More info please ?:Eeek:

Ok you asked Ian,

There I was out in the town of Calais getting wasted on fine pear cider with the lovely Nikki.

Came home a little wasted and boy once I started farting the whole van smelt like a gas, it was difficult to breath, I kept asking Nikki "have you farted?" No she kept saying, "I'm a lady I'm lady ?" However, my eyes were watering, the smell was terrible, I can only assume that we were gassed, however, nothing was taken other than my AFrame, but that's probably because they are legal in France :winky:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Has anyone considered that scaremongering is a means to ensure that the scaremongerer
can get a parking spot there :ROFLMAO:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We once parked on the last motorway aire before Calais , and we didn't get gassed, bit put out really :Eeek: aren't we good enough

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We've have stayed on the seafront aire many times and always enjoyed watching the ferries, although it can be a bit noisy. No trouble at all apart from one row once between two motorhomers (which did not effect us, we just heard it), of course they had to be British :RollEyes:

We always have frites and have also enjoyed a few lovely meals at the restaurants there with family.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back