Free Member
Apr 11, 2016
West midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer544
Exp
Just started
on an overnight ferry!!!..Has anyone done this?We are taking our dogs Plymouth-Roskoff overnight and would really like to stay with them for the crossing.Whats to stop you staying in your motorhome and having a kip?.What do you guys think.On another thread someone mentioned this is ok on the italy-greece crossing,is this all about health and safety?

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I don't think anyone is allowed to say on the car deck during a crossing. Probably health & safety but also security. If anyone was allowed it would present a security risk of break ins and thefts.

Deleted User
Definitely not allowed on any UK ferries, some Italy - Greece ferries allow it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Thats because they want you up on the poop deck SPENDING!! (y)

We always have a cunning plan, kettle on board, victuals and wine for repast in self service area and even occasionally take microwaveable stuff (microwaves provided for kiddies bottles!)

Not brekkie's though.......free(almost) courtesy of BF Club Voyage.

Can't do without a cabin though, too old for all them reclining 'lounge' seats:)

Deleted User
Thats because they want you up on the poop deck SPENDING!! (y)

We always have a cunning plan, kettle on board, victuals and wine for repast in self service area and even occasionally take microwaveable stuff (microwaves provided for kiddies bottles!)

Not brekkie's though.......free(almost) courtesy of BF Club Voyage.

Can't do without a cabin though, too old for all them reclining 'lounge' seats:)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Don't stay in the van, I could write pages outlining why this is not a good idea. I used to work on ferries and unauthorised person were a nightmare scenario. It's not just your health and safety or security but for everyone else on the ferry. When they eventually salvaged the Herald of Free Enterprise several bodies were found in the cabs of lorries.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
on an overnight ferry!!!..Has anyone done this?We are taking our dogs Plymouth-Roskoff overnight and would really like to stay with them for the crossing.Whats to stop you staying in your motorhome and having a kip?.What do you guys think.On another thread someone mentioned this is ok on the italy-greece crossing,is this all about health and safety?
Anek/Superfast (Italy to Greece) allow Camping on Board staying in your own van (and it's great!), however I think this would only be offered on ferries which have open decks. Not sure about the ferry you are travelling on but if it's a closed deck then I think due to H & S it would not be possible even if the ferry companies allowed it, which they don't. I wouldn't risk it if I were you - book a pet cabin if you can, otherwise take the Chunnel. I have seen the dog kennels on some of these ferries and I wouldn't put a tortoise in them let alone a dog!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Tunnels what you want(y)(y):)

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Ataying on the car decks is definitely not allowed. The car decks are normally secured shut and in the event of an accident you can't get to any life boats etc etc.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Trying to get a pet friendly cabin is nearly impossible as they book up so quickly.
Best is tunnel. 40 min in van with your pet. Gas has to be turned off, so prepare a flask if you want a cuppa.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Trying to get a pet friendly cabin is nearly impossible as they book up so quickly.
Best is tunnel. 40 min in van with your pet. Gas has to be turned off, so prepare a flask if you want a cuppa.
Or a 12v kettle.. although you have to start heating the water before you get on the train to have it made when you get off.

We usually make the bed up and have a cold snack on the train and feed and water the dogs. Sometimes a short kip but it's hardly worth it really.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
We always stop in van with dog on short ferries. I just sailed from LAnzarote to Cadiz and sneaked into my camper after each dog walk.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back