Stopovers like "France Passion" or other 1 night stay's (1 Viewer)

mbarnby

Free Member
Oct 25, 2009
Funster No
Dear all,

We are planning a trip to south UK next year in our camper and are wondering if there are places to stay overnight like the "France Passion" in france or like the German "Stellpletze"
Or are the only possibility normal camping sites.

:) Michael B

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Stopovers

If you look in the Bord Atlas for Europe there are some places in the UK and Scotland listed but not many.
There are places you can "Wild" camp but not many we use the Camping Clubs CL and CS sites that only take 5 vans
If you look in the sites for the Caravan Club and Camping and Caravan club you can look at them there.
Sure there will be a few more answers along soon :thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Agree with Vera one of the best courses is to make use of the CL's and CS's, there is also quite a lot of information on the forums about car parks where you can park safely overnight, a couple that comes to mind are Roudee Car Park on the River at Chester and also the Park and Ride at Canterbury. Welcome to the adventures of motorhomeing.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
If you are coming to Suffolk there is a place in Bury St Edmunds that you can stop overnight. There are 5 designated spaces in Rams Meadow car park which is in Cotton Lane about 2 mins walk from town,parking is free from 6pm to 8am during the day normal parking charges apply I think it is £1.40 for 4hrs.
Hope that helps

OP
OP
M

mbarnby

Free Member
Oct 25, 2009
Funster No
Are these Camping Clubs and Camping sites with full or limited services and are they expensive.

Also are the station to empty toilet and dirty water and fill up with water again, like the German and French "Verzorgungs station" in different places.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi

To be honest, and I hate to say this, the UK is the most unfriendly and expensive country in Europe for motorhomes, there is no network of aires or places to dump and get fresh water .. Yes, there are overnight parking places, car parks, etc but generally with no facilities ..

To use CLs or CS sites ( 5 van farm type sites ) you need to join either club, these range in price from about £6 - £12 , they are the nearest thing we have to aires.. all have dumping and fresh water and many have electric hook up.. commercial sites are expensive.

Those are the reasons why 10s of thousands of Brit motohomers head for France and Germany every year..

If you want to go wild camping then the best is in Scotland where it is still possible to enjoy a motorhome as it should be enjoyed ..

jim

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mbarnby

Free Member
Oct 25, 2009
Funster No
My Daughter have ordered me to south UK next summer, so I assume I wont have a chance to avoid it ::bigsmile:
But I think we have same kind of problem in DK as the camping unions are quit strong and wont to avoid the free life of motorhoming. Though the DACF are fighting hard to get this accepted more and it goes forward.

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Camping Clubs

Are these Camping Clubs and Camping sites with full or limited services and are they expensive.

Also are the station to empty toilet and dirty water and fill up with water again, like the German and French "Verzorgungs station" in different places.

Hi Michael, The Camping Clubs charge you £38 approx to join for one year we are a member of both we use the CS sites the most which are the Caravan Club sites and usually pay about £8 per night with electric hookup and some have a WC but no showers. We also book our ferries through their site and always save money,and this year we have our Motorhome Insurance with them. But for a short holiday I don,t know what your savings would be you are probably better trawling through all the Forums for reccomended places to stay. Good luck and hope you enjoy your holidays in the UK :thumb:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
There is also a wildcamping group who claim over 5000 possible spots in their listing. I don't bother as I like the facilities on campsites!

Catherine

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Try 5van.co uk. helpful website list's a few small reasonable places to spend the night .
Terry:sin:(I.o.W.)

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
what about brit stops

What about Brit Stops indeed! :roflmto:

Don't forget the extra special, super-enhanced copy of the guide which is still available at the MHFun Comic Relief Auction: Broken Link Removed

If you get this one, Michael, you'll also be able to relax in your own Union Jack shirt, which comes as part of the package! :Cool: :thumb:

Of course you are welcome to bring your own shirts, and simply buy your copy here: www.britstops.com

Steve :Smile:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hi

To be honest, and I hate to say this, the UK is the most unfriendly and expensive country in Europe for motorhomes, there is no network of aires or places to dump and get fresh water .. Yes, there are overnight parking places, car parks, etc but generally with no facilities ..

To use CLs or CS sites ( 5 van farm type sites ) you need to join either club, these range in price from about £6 - £12 , they are the nearest thing we have to aires.. all have dumping and fresh water and many have electric hook up.. commercial sites are expensive.

Those are the reasons why 10s of thousands of Brit motohomers head for France and Germany every year..

If you want to go wild camping then the best is in Scotland where it is still possible to enjoy a motorhome as it should be enjoyed ..

jim

How true. This response to a motorhome owner asking about visiting the UK is a sad picture of our tourist strategy. Maybe someone from the Tourist Board would care to comment.

Wyn

adriacoral

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
there is now something called britstops!! its like france passion £24 for a years membership and a book giving overnight stops for free all over the uk. google it.:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back