Stopovers like "France Passion" or other 1 night stay's

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by mbarnby, Nov 4, 2009.

1. mbarnby

mbarnby Read Only Funster

Dear all,

We are planning a trip to south UK next year in our camper and are wondering if there are places to stay overnight like the "France Passion" in france or like the German "Stellpletze"
    Or are the only possibility normal camping sites.

:) Michael B

2. SteveandSue

SteveandSue Funster

Stopovers

If you look in the Bord Atlas for Europe there are some places in the UK and Scotland listed but not many.
    There are places you can "Wild" camp but not many we use the Camping Clubs CL and CS sites that only take 5 vans
    If you look in the sites for the Caravan Club and Camping and Caravan club you can look at them there.
    Sure there will be a few more answers along soon :thumb:

3. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Agree with Vera one of the best courses is to make use of the CL's and CS's, there is also quite a lot of information on the forums about car parks where you can park safely overnight, a couple that comes to mind are Roudee Car Park on the River at Chester and also the Park and Ride at Canterbury. Welcome to the adventures of motorhomeing.:Smile:

4. meanders

meanders Funster - Life Member Life Member

If you are coming to Suffolk there is a place in Bury St Edmunds that you can stop overnight. There are 5 designated spaces in Rams Meadow car park which is in Cotton Lane about 2 mins walk from town,parking is free from 6pm to 8am during the day normal parking charges apply I think it is £1.40 for 4hrs.
    Hope that helps

5. mbarnby

Are these Camping Clubs and Camping sites with full or limited services and are they expensive.

Also are the station to empty toilet and dirty water and fill up with water again, like the German and French "Verzorgungs station" in different places.

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi

To be honest, and I hate to say this, the UK is the most unfriendly and expensive country in Europe for motorhomes, there is no network of aires or places to dump and get fresh water .. Yes, there are overnight parking places, car parks, etc but generally with no facilities ..

To use CLs or CS sites ( 5 van farm type sites ) you need to join either club, these range in price from about £6 - £12 , they are the nearest thing we have to aires.. all have dumping and fresh water and many have electric hook up.. commercial sites are expensive.

Those are the reasons why 10s of thousands of Brit motohomers head for France and Germany every year..

If you want to go wild camping then the best is in Scotland where it is still possible to enjoy a motorhome as it should be enjoyed ..

jim

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
    • Like Like x 1
  7. mbarnby

My Daughter have ordered me to south UK next summer, so I assume I wont have a chance to avoid it :BigGrin:
    But I think we have same kind of problem in DK as the camping unions are quit strong and wont to avoid the free life of motorhoming. Though the DACF are fighting hard to get this accepted more and it goes forward.

8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi Michael

if you tell us the general location we may be able to give some better advice ..

jim

9. SteveandSue

SteveandSue Funster

Camping Clubs

Hi Michael, The Camping Clubs charge you £38 approx to join for one year we are a member of both we use the CS sites the most which are the Caravan Club sites and usually pay about £8 per night with electric hookup and some have a WC but no showers. We also book our ferries through their site and always save money,and this year we have our Motorhome Insurance with them. But for a short holiday I don,t know what your savings would be you are probably better trawling through all the Forums for reccomended places to stay. Good luck and hope you enjoy your holidays in the UK :thumb:

10. dadsmad

dadsmad Read Only Funster

brit stops

what about brit stops

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mr Colpot

Mr Colpot Funster

Definitely recommend Britstops - also there are a a few Campsites in ACSI as well.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Viennese

Viennese Funster

There is also a wildcamping group who claim over 5000 possible spots in their listing. I don't bother as I like the facilities on campsites!

Catherine

13. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Try 5van.co uk. helpful website list's a few small reasonable places to spend the night .
    Terry:sin:(I.o.W.)

14. BritStops

BritStops Trader BritStop Owner

What about Brit Stops indeed! :Laughing:

Don't forget the extra special, super-enhanced copy of the guide which is still available at the MHFun Comic Relief Auction: http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/comic-relief-2013/62089-lot-10-copy-brit-stops-2013-a.html

If you get this one, Michael, you'll also be able to relax in your own Union Jack shirt, which comes as part of the package! :Cool: :thumb:

Of course you are welcome to bring your own shirts, and simply buy your copy here: www.britstops.com

Steve :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  15. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

How true. This response to a motorhome owner asking about visiting the UK is a sad picture of our tourist strategy. Maybe someone from the Tourist Board would care to comment.

Wyn

16. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

"Brit stops" are like France passion although not as many but growing.
    Just google britstops.

• Like Like x 1
  17. adriacoral

adriacoral Read Only Funster

there is now something called britstops!! its like france passion £24 for a years membership and a book giving overnight stops for free all over the uk. google it.:Smile:

• Like Like x 1