Stopover Gretna/Carlisle (1 Viewer)

Mar 26, 2012
Belfast
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
Looks like we are heading to Silverstone from Belfast in mid June to compete at MG Live but wondered if anyone can advise.
Getting off the ferry at Cairnryan around 10pm on the Thursday night and plan to get a couple of hours driving in before stopping but wondered if anyone knew somewhere around Gretna we could stop for the night. I know there is a good campsite there but don't think we would be too welcome at midnight!
Thought maybe the overflow carpark at the outlet village, 7 metre Motorhome and double decker trailer so need a bit of space, might do. Has anybody overnighted there and do they object?
Thanks

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
There is a large carpark on left as you enter Carlisle on old A6 from Gretna,I believe motorhomes are allowed to overnight there

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Metal Bridge Inn.
2017_04_09_14.11.46.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Dunfries,back up to the river wall,by the "Weir" near town centre,just over the bridge,right at the lights. There will be a Ner' do well along in a minute,he is a Funster? His father kept a pub along there and regularly got lorry drivers drunk,who had only called in for a SMALL Pint...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Its the way i tell 'em:whistle:
Tea Bag
PS. NO lorries there now,we all lost our............................Licences:censored:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Gretna Services has a decent caravan parking area. In my experience it's pretty quiet.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi.
Dunfries,back up to the river wall,by the "Weir" near town centre,just over the bridge,right at the lights. There will be a Ner' do well along in a minute,he is a Funster? His father kept a pub along there and regularly got lorry drivers drunk,who had only called in for a SMALL Pint...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Its the way i tell 'em:whistle:
Tea Bag
PS. NO lorries there now,we all lost our............................Licences:censored:

I'm assuming you mean me although I don't understand the Ner Do Well comment as I can only take it as derogatory although I'm sure you mean it another way and the lack of sleep from nightshift if affecting me.

To the original Op if you want to do 2 hours From the ferry you will be closer to Dumfries than Gretna I would imagine. If you fancy stopping here then as Tea Bag says you can park along by the river next to the caul, or if you drive along to the end you'll come to the dock park which would be a better place. It'd directly across the river from Halfords.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
I'm assuming you mean me although I don't understand the Ner Do Well comment as I can only take it as derogatory although I'm sure you mean it another way and the lack of sleep from nightshift if affecting me.

To the original Op if you want to do 2 hours From the ferry you will be closer to Dumfries than Gretna I would imagine. If you fancy stopping here then as Tea Bag says you can park along by the river next to the caul, or if you drive along to the end you'll come to the dock park which would be a better place. It'd directly across the river from Halfords.
Hi.
YES!!! I DO mean it the other way (y),BUT. Now i know where i stand in the pecking order with YOU! You sold me a Duff Budgie,when i mentioned i used to park up there in the lorry,you told me that was now the mo/ho parking space,so,on the way back from Cairnryan late,in we pulled and settled down for the night. Little did i know there was a Posher/better place to lay our heads,SHAME on you.
Tea Bag aka Irate Portugal!!
PS. I Sir, am also suffering,but hiding it well,from to much............"Sunshine!!"

OP
OP
BryanM
Mar 26, 2012
Belfast
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks for all your help. Would prefer to get as far as the M6 before stopping so either the Metal Bridge Inn or the car park on the A6 would look good.
Is there a slip road off the M6 to the Inn or do you come out of Gretna a different road?

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Continue past the Outlet Village and just past the Gretna Chase hotel there is a road to the right. This is the 'old' road to Carlisle which will take you to the Metal Bridge Inn. You cannot miss the Inn which is on the right with the new road across the barrier on your left. It will only be a couple of miles from when you turn off onto the 'old' road. Charlie.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back