Stop Fracking Petition (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I'm told that in France, they have a good system as regards building power stations. If you live somewhere that from your house you can see a power station, then you get your electricity for free. (Obviously gas sites are much harder to spot, apart from the terminals on the coast). Seems that the French don't get as many objections to power stations being built as we do.

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Frack away , let's find out wether or not we should be concerned. It's the only way to know really.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Ground water can be contaminated by the gases and toxic chemicals used in the fracking process.
As far as I am aware, the only chemical used in the UK is a lubricant - the same one used to lubricate contact lenses in your eyes.

You may have evidence to the contrary, of course.

And waste from the fracking process is commonly mishandled.
Is there any reliable evidence that waste has been or will be mishandled in the UK?

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
I knew this would be a controversial subject ;)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
.... and I knew as soon as cars running on water were mentioned, what the comeback would be.... I'm not even going to bother arguing but years ago I had a book smuggled to me to read from America and it isn't just water powered cars that are kept under wrap.... I gave the book back but it was scarey stuff .............. as I say not going into any more ... other than if you honestly believe that drugs are not out there that it pays the Governments to keep quiet about because there is no money in it for them then you are mistaken...... My last post on here as you won't all be here for me to say I told you so but just because they think they have found a solution it should NOT stop them looking for a better one .. but they will.

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
Governments have put off the hard decisions for our future energy requirements. Decisions have to be made and if we frack we frack. What I can't stand is the 'rent a protestor' who come along, camps, breaks the law, stops ordinary people from doing their job. Where do they get their money to be able to be full time anachists? Bet my taxes are contributing

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not sure where to post this so apologies if its in the wrong section but im sure its in everybodys interest to take note &/or sign.

http://action.sumofus.org/a/national-parks-fracking/?sub=fb

Britain’s treasured national parks could become drilling sites in a recent move by the government to open them up to fracking by big oil and gas companies. It’s part of a wider government plan inviting companies to apply for licenses to drill for oil and gas all across the UK -- and about half the country is up for grabs.

The current process to get a licence to drill in the UK is long and relatively robust, but Minister for Energy Matthew Hancock wants to speed up the process so companies can start drilling with six months of making an application.

And we all know what that means: cut corners and bad decisions.Unfortunately, once our national parks have been desecrated by fracking, there’s no coming back.

Tell the government to immediately remove national parks from the list of areas open to fracking operations.

Fracking is an especially destructive form of oil and gas drilling -- it uses a technique of breaking up rock to get to oil supplies, and there are serious environmental concerns. Ground water can be contaminated by the gases and toxic chemicals used in the fracking process. And waste from the fracking process is commonly mishandled.

The big losers of the fracking process are us: our health is at risk, while the big oil companies take the profits.

The government is defending its decision by saying that people living in or around national parks will be protected by tougher rules for fracking. But at the same time, it has removed the ability for millions of homeowners to stop companies from drilling directly under their properties.

An outright ban would protect our national parks and areas of outstanding natural beauty in Britain.

The government is touting the potential temporary benefits of a new oil or gas discovery. But is the potential permanent loss of our natural beauty really worth it?

Send your message to the government: protect our national parks from fracking by big oil.
Is there somewhere we can sign if we are for fracking to counteract the ones that are against

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Over history every area of our country (and, indeed, our world) has been exploited for the benefits which their geographic properties can provide for society as a whole. In terms of energy, certain areas benefited in the past by not having deposits of coal so exploited those that did. Perhaps, now, it is the turn of some of those areas to repay that benefit by releasing their shale gas for the benefit of all of us.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Oh dear. More bollox being spouted by the beardy weirdies.

Lots of false claims and doom and gloom.

Don't let a few tree huggers scare us.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Who are you calling a beardy weirdie for having a different opionion to yours, Yorick? And as for false claims we were told we were making false claims in the seventies and a majority of those came to pass .... we asked THEN for something to be done to stop the world running out of energy, food, green areas, etc and were called doom and gloom merchants .... We even stated the decades that these things would start to finally be acknowledged by governments because they could no longer be avoided.. . . . As for tree hugging, I have never done that, but it might be more pleasurable than some men I suspect.. it won't be sexist or insist that my opinions are bollocks or that I am a weirdo.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Movan. It wasn't personal.

I will never believe anything without proof.

All them making noises against fracking drag up the same scare stories everytime. No proof of anything.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
Who are you calling a beardy weirdie for having a different opionion to yours, Yorick? And as for false claims we were told we were making false claims in the seventies and a majority of those came to pass .... we asked THEN for something to be done to stop the world running out of energy, food, green areas, etc and were called doom and gloom merchants .... We even stated the decades that these things would start to finally be acknowledged by governments because they could no longer be avoided.. . . . As for tree hugging, I have never done that, but it might be more pleasurable than some men I suspect.. it won't be sexist or insist that my opinions are bollocks or that I am a weirdo.

Problem is Movan, that since the 70s, the World has NOT run out of fuel, food or anything else (apart from maybe good music) and the World population has gone up by a vast amount since then. So maybe the engineers and scientists (and possibly one or two politicians) did something right back then.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Problem is Movan, that since the 70s, the World has NOT run out of fuel, food or anything else (apart from maybe good music) and the World population has gone up by a vast amount since then. So maybe the engineers and scientists (and possibly one or two politicians) did something right back then.
If the world isn't running out of food how come thousands of children die every day in the developing world because of lack of food and clean water?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Re Geordies answer: It would be nice to think so, but the warnings given were for the mid 2000s onwards... We can but wait.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
Re Geordies answer: It would be nice to think so, but the warnings given were for the mid 2000s onwards... We can but wait.

Do you not think the world should recognise that human over-population is the REAL danger to food and fuel supplies and will be the main reason behind most wars in the future ?

And maybe, to answer Robert Clark, we should see more adverts on tv to fund contraceptives for the developing world instead of the "staving child" ones that are fast losing their impact.

Reactions: GJH

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Definitely agree with you there. I often find myself trying to think of an answer. Can you imagine what would happen if any Government in the Western world tried to dictate that people should only have a maximum number of two children? How can they get round that? And should they try and dictate to a Third World then we would be dictators.... but in the meantime there are starving people and the world is a cruel place.

Slightly less deep, I get so angry on talk shows when someone says 'We have seven children and twenty one grandchildren,# and the audience applauds ....... who the heck in the future world is going to maintain those children. Yes, something needs to be done and not just in the developing worlds.

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
If the world isn't running out of food how come thousands of children die every day in the developing world because of lack of food and clean water?

I think you will find that in a lot of the situations it is because all the money & resources go to corrupt officials & organised crime! :mad:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Look back in history when there were periods of over-population (for the time). The population was reduced by wars, disease, natural disasters or a combination of those factors. So it will continue because nature looks after itself.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
As Wordsworth put it in his poem (and quoted in the Archers this week over the proposed new road).
The world is too much with us; late and soon,

Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers;—

Little we see in Nature that is ours;

We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!

This Sea that bares her bosom to the moon;

The winds that will be howling at all hours,

And are up-gathered now like sleeping flowers;

For this, for everything, we are out of tune;

It moves us not. Great God! I’d rather be

A Pagan suckled in a creed outworn;

So might I, standing on this pleasant lea,

Have glimpses that would make me less forlorn;

Have sight of Proteus rising from the sea;

Or hear old Triton blow his wreathèd horn.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back