Stop Fracking Petition

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by RS_rob, Aug 2, 2014.

1. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

Not sure where to post this so apologies if its in the wrong section but im sure its in everybodys interest to take note &/or sign.

http://action.sumofus.org/a/national-parks-fracking/?sub=fb

Britain’s treasured national parks could become drilling sites in a recent move by the government to open them up to fracking by big oil and gas companies. It’s part of a wider government plan inviting companies to apply for licenses to drill for oil and gas all across the UK -- and about half the country is up for grabs.

The current process to get a licence to drill in the UK is long and relatively robust, but Minister for Energy Matthew Hancock wants to speed up the process so companies can start drilling with six months of making an application.

And we all know what that means: cut corners and bad decisions.Unfortunately, once our national parks have been desecrated by fracking, there’s no coming back.

Tell the government to immediately remove national parks from the list of areas open to fracking operations.

Fracking is an especially destructive form of oil and gas drilling -- it uses a technique of breaking up rock to get to oil supplies, and there are serious environmental concerns. Ground water can be contaminated by the gases and toxic chemicals used in the fracking process. And waste from the fracking process is commonly mishandled.

The big losers of the fracking process are us: our health is at risk, while the big oil companies take the profits.

The government is defending its decision by saying that people living in or around national parks will be protected by tougher rules for fracking. But at the same time, it has removed the ability for millions of homeowners to stop companies from drilling directly under their properties.

An outright ban would protect our national parks and areas of outstanding natural beauty in Britain.

The government is touting the potential temporary benefits of a new oil or gas discovery. But is the potential permanent loss of our natural beauty really worth it?

Send your message to the government: protect our national parks from fracking by big oil.

• Like Like x 2
  2. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Thanks Rob for posting this. I have already done my bit trying to support you on this but feel like been banging our heads against a brick wall.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

Cheers Joy

• Like Like x 1
  4. rangitira

rangitira Funster

When the lights go out rob, sincerely hope you will keep warm from your Wind Turbines, burning them maybe?

• Like Like x 6
  5. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

I'm neither for or against fracking, nor am I against wind turbines, solar parks , generating waste from rubbish or nuclear power. What I am against is the NIMBY (not in my back yard) mentality that's holding this country back from meeting it's future energy needs. Maybe when the lights start going out people will realise that we need put our personal views to one side and do what is right for our children and our grandchildren

• Like Like x 8
  6. movan

Or we could move to Cornwall where they have stopped some fracking I believe, I wonder why if it is so harmless? :whistle:
    Thinking of our children's future and the future of the world may need to be looked at from another angle, surely? Yes, the lights would start to go out if we don't do something .. so do we rob Peter to pay Paul and destroy the world anyway by not thinking of the damage fracking is doing.

7. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

There is an alternate power source out there its just that its being hidden from us as oil is the power of greed.
    Im no eco warrior but im defo against fracking.

Tesla was on the right track & so was Edward Leedskalnin

• Like Like x 3
  8. Robert Clark

Like I said I am neither for or against fracking nor will I make a decision until I've seen how it works in the UK which is geologically very different than how it works in the US.
    The awkward truth with all energy generation us that there is an environmental impact somewhere. Somebody has to pay the price . Years ago I used to live near a Nuclear power station. There were protestors who came from afar and there were locals who appreciated the many high quality high paid jobs that the industry created. I don't think there is a single solution to our future energy needs however fracking may be a valuable part of it, in the right place and with the proper safeguards.

• Like Like x 2
  9. movan

Hate to admit it, but I am a doom and gloomer anyway on the future of this world, unless something drastic is done. In another fifty years there will not be enough food, housing, etc etc ..... Pass me the gun:(:( I think Nature will need to take over if we are to be saved at all, and if it doesn't then ...... ...... ... .. .

10. busby

busby Funster

Who can you believe...Previous Governments encouraged us to buy DIESEL vehicles but now they tell us they pollute more than petrol..Electric cars sound good but is the power station that produces electricity GREEN as they say. Dont believe any of them because the world is still flat, must be or we would fall off..BUSBY:LOL:

• Like Like x 1
  11. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Fracking can be perfectly safe if done properly. Mistakes have been made in this country, fracking where there was a fault line, but lessons have been learned and if properly supervised, unlike I suspect what happened in the US, no one need worry. This is not to say the drillers should be given carte blanche. Let them start and keep a close ear to the ground, literally in a sense, and check they are aware of what is happening down there.

Of course I am "safe" here in the south west as there is nothing down here the frackers want to exploit (at the moment) but other companies are going to open a tungsten mine 5 miles from my home soon and I don't have a problem with that.
    Personally I'm all for renewables but realistically that isn't a solution in the near term.

As for "desecrating national parks" having been brought up near the Lake District I never felt the old lead mines and workings were a desecration. Snowdons got a huge hole in it where they took away the slate I think. But of course they don't count as it happened in the past!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    • Like Like x 5
  12. Robert Clark

How about this - solar roads ?

• Like Like x 2
  13. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

I dont even have to watch that ive seen it posted many times (y)

14. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

My vote goes for whatever home-grown energy source stops us having to treat Middle Eastern dictators like the sun shines out of their arses, and means the EU can stand up to Putin and tell him where to stick his gas.

If we have to frack, let's frack. If nuclear would stop us having to bum-lick the likes of Gadaffi then let's split atoms. Better still, let's find ways of using less. Fusion power can't come soon enough.

• Like Like x 7
  15. movan

16. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Don't think it's even started down here, we have the wrong sub strata, we don't have shail ,we have solid granite! , I can honestly say there is no licences here in Cornwall ,on offer, to drill for gas, (fracking). In the past the powers to be have spent a few million drilling for "hot rocks" Geothermal energy! Nothing! So !come to Cornwall by all means! We aint got Fracking, we aint got Geothermal!

But hey! Ladies! us Cornishmen (just a little correction here US! Cornish Kiwis too) we'll keep ee warm me'ansome!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Like Like x 3
  17. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Ordinary man has been under threat since he first stood on earth and still is - but we are still here

(y)(y)

• Like Like x 1
  18. movan

On my way, Rangi. :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

There are options out there for power sources, and i know that as a fact. my grandfather invented a way of powering a car using water many years ago. no sooner had he patented the idea than the powers that be at the time put pressure on him to sell the patent to the petrol companies. since then, it been buried away and denied with action taken against anyone else that tries to re-invent it

• Like Like x 1
  20. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

I say let the franking begin and let the tree huggers frezz there will be so many environmental concessions to for fill by both the drilling contractor and the oil gas company's that you would hardly know they were there I know I have had to put op with the bullsit for years
    we need the gas and as soon as possible

• Like Like x 5