Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Are you sure about that? I thought the French were in the sensible camp like us and allowed barefoot driving. I know they recently banned driving in high heels.
Where it is not illegal the Gendarmes appear to be getting 'fine happy'
Recently a woman driving in Toulouse was fined 90€ for driving in flip-flops. As for driving barefoot I must admit I could be wrong but with the Gendarmes being fine happy I'd be reluctant to take the chance

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Where it is not illegal the Gendarmes appear to be getting 'fine happy'
Recently a woman driving in Toulouse was fined 90€ for driving in flip-flops. As for driving barefoot I must admit I could be wrong but with the Gendarmes being fine happy I'd be reluctant to take the chance

Driving in flip flops or high heels is dangerous and rightly outlawed in plenty of places. I'd say driving in barefeet can be safer than many types of legal shoes, such as big boots, wellies, etc. I remember a couple of years ago getting in my running landrover after hitching a trailer, took off across the yard, went to cover the brake at the gate but a shoelace on my heavy walking boots was locked in the door and my right foot couldn't reach the brake. It took a second for my brain to stop tugging at it and brake with my left foot instead :oops:

Kenlowe

Free Member
Aug 21, 2016
Puttershoek, The Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Burstner Marano T680
Exp
I'm a newbie
Strict rules are applied with us - Ho Ho! A big mat for sitting outside, cooking, etc. under the awning and two pairs of shoes. One pair for swanning about away from home and one pair for the mat and inside the home. Simple. From the drivers seat, it's shoes off to venture into the living area. A fine is in place if the rules are not kept, which is added to the wine kitty.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Strict rules are applied with us - Ho Ho! A big mat for sitting outside, cooking, etc. under the awning and two pairs of shoes. One pair for swanning about away from home and one pair for the mat and inside the home. Simple. From the drivers seat, it's shoes off to venture into the living area. A fine is in place if the rules are not kept, which is added to the wine kitty.

too many rules.. can't be arsed with all that fuss ..o_O

besides.. how do you train two dogs to wear slippers indoors ? :LOL:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I drive in my slippers change shose before driving
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
If my wife cam up with smithing like that I think she wild be blurred in one of my wilding spots
Bill

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
We keep our carpets clean by wrapping thoroughly in clingfilm.
When it gets too gritty, simply unpeel and bin, then reapply new clingfilm.

Honest.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We keep our carpets clean by wrapping thoroughly in clingfilm.
When it gets too gritty, simply unpeel and bin, then reapply new clingfilm.

Honest.
I've got to ask WHY???? ... I wouldn't want to walk around on cling film! First thing I do is remove the stupid light coloured originals and put in my own 'dirt grabber' ones cut to fit in a more suitable colour.

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
I've got a couple of the cab step mats from a show if you take out the screws in the step well put the mate in place drive the screws back it holds them in place (y)

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
I've got to ask WHY???? ... I wouldn't want to walk around on cling film! First thing I do is remove the stupid light coloured originals and put in my own 'dirt grabber' ones cut to fit in a more suitable colour.

has to be a wind up.. surely

You got me. Should have put a wind up smilie on it!!!

We took our carpets out and put lino down.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I have always driven our motorhomes barefoot, its not illegal in the UK. But it is in Spain so I always have a pair of boat shoes very close by was I believe sandals and flip flops are illegal to drive in too.
Flip flops are illegal in France too .

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
We don't stop the carpets getting dirty. We just clean them when they do. Shoes on, shoes off two wet dirty labs we try to keep out the dinette end and jump straight on their beds.
That's the dogs on the bed not us on the dog beds:rolleyes:

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We lifted the carpets in our first van because they were dangerous. Slipped around all over the place, cheap chausson carpets! In the hymer the carpets are much better quality and decided to keep some of them down. In the living area we have non slip mats that can be shaken or brushed. In the bedroom and cab kept the carpets. I love the carpets but dont want to have to lift odd shaped items to shake or sweep.

We take our shoes off as well,but we do that at home so are used to it.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
We've got the best of both worlds: carpets to use right now and brand new ones for later on (in case we sell or if we think the existing ones need replacing) coz the MH came with a brand new set of carpets in addition to the ones already down :D We've kept the carpets in the cab and lounge but we have lino in the kitchen area - I don't think I want carpet there...lino is much easier to clean spillages off.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I have always driven the Motorhome bare foot, and have a pair of Crocs in the well to get out at fuel stops etc. I have noticed that most HGV drivers in Europe wear clogs which they slip off when entering the cab. In fact most truck stops in Spain sell nice clogs quite reasonable so I find it strange that it is illegal in Spain. Flip flops I can understand not bare feet, that's what we were born with. If I am not barefoot then I am probably in sandals so I am doubly stuffed.
Steve

I don't think it is illegal,,,,BUSBY,,

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
The Beauty Terrorist bought large rugs for our van to go over the new carpets.

When I asked why she said to keep them clean. When I asked what happens when the rugs get dirty - she said that's easy she will just clean them...So when I asked what is the difference between cleaning the carpet and cleaning the rugs, she told me to stop being awkward.......

Some things are just beyond my comprehension....

Janp

Free Member
Aug 19, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have bought some very cheap cotton striped rugs from Ikea they look smart and are washable .Cheap enough to throw away when badly marked .

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I have bought some very cheap cotton striped rugs from Ikea they look smart and are washable .Cheap enough to throw away when badly marked .
Be careful with those, they are not colourfast. Ok to put on Lino but not on a light carpet.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Be careful with those, they are not colourfast. Ok to put on Lino but not on a light carpet.
Bit like highly coloured dog chews that my Mum got our dogs one Christmas!!! :mad:

Janp

Free Member
Aug 19, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
OH thank you i had no idea just tried them recently .will be caeful .I know exactly what you mean about doggie chews!gave ollie and lulu some at red and white striped ones at xmas

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Tried on mine but they did not fit, my step slides into a box
Same here, plus the dogs use the step and hate 'astro turf' type stuff with a passion so if I put it on our step they wouldn't use it and likely end up breaking a leg getting in/out trying to avoid it! I put some stick on strips on ours, bit like 'tough' sandpaper type strips, they've been on nearly 2 years and are still going strong, the dogs don't mind them as they are not overly rough.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Our carpets went straight in the loft unused , and I buy square carpet samples from the local shop . 3 x £1 a bargain and throw away when mucky!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back