Stop Buying Diesel

Discussion in 'Motorhome on a Budget' started by Jim, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

All you need is a contract with your local chippy and with a bottle of this, you will save £000's

Anybody using it?

2. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Sounds great Jim, but is there any Indepedent info on if it affects your engine long term. :cry:

Any bets on how long it would take "grabbing Gordon" to put a tax on veggie oils? :Eeek:

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I'm sure that the chippy will have to pay to dispose of the oil, so supply would not be a issue. Smelling like a savaloy would be a problem I imagine:BigGrin:

4. olley

olley Funster

5. Jim

Jim Ringleader

The price of Diesel has gone through the roof, I am surprised more people are not going down this route, especially as it sits well with the green lobby.

I don't think my finely tuned 8.1L Vortec would run on anything except the finest refined petrol, its a thoroughbred you see, not like those smelly, lumpy diesels that will run on anything:Smile:

• Like Like x 3
  6. adventure

adventure Read Only Funster

I think we all would be happy to pay $2.92 per gallon for diesel

those yanks have all the luck :Rofl1:

7. Tony Santara

Tony Santara Funster

Thats another good reason for buying a petrol lump and converting to LPG

Untill "Gordon" catches on that he's losing revenue :cry:

• Like Like x 2
  8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

think i'll just emmigrate to america and pay £1.45 a gallon :Rofl1::Rofl1::thumb:

john

9. josielynne

josielynne Read Only Funster

veg oil

all your info herehttp://www.dieselveg.com/

10. justme AKA Grath

justme AKA Grath BANNED

Bio Diesel

I heard yesterday that it uses more CO2 to grow the Bio diesel than if you used ordinary diesel!!:Eeek:
    Apparently, it is the type of fertilizer used!!!!:Eek!:
    Also as we know, many farmers are growing the products to make this Bio at the expense of growing food and food prices are going uuuupppppp!!!!!:Eeek::cry:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

You'll need to put chippy's in POI on your sat navs:Laughing::Laughing:

12. justme AKA Grath

justme AKA Grath BANNED

Smell

Don't use a sat nav, just navigate by the smeLLlllllllll:Rofl1:

13. Adria 5

Adria 5 Read Only Funster

14. justme AKA Grath

justme AKA Grath BANNED

Oh dear

Stop buying diesel!!!!!!!
    Oh dear, I can't go anywhere!!!!!:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

15. jkoebel

jkoebel Deleted User

There's a big following in the classic Mercedes community over here, where people do exactly that. Thousands of people who own W123/W124/W126 diesel Mercedes, and some newer ones, collect waste vegetable oil from restaurants and places and react it with lye, methanol to produce a Fatty-Acid Methyl Ester.

There's a standard, ASTM D 6751, that defines the properties of a FAME "biodiesel" to be safe for engines, although honestly, anything but the newest/most high-tech engines will run fine if it's off the standard a little bit. I think ASTM is international, not just U.S.-only?

This "BioFuel Basics" place doesn't actually do any of that, however. Basically what they're doing is the same old snake oil that is seen time and time again. It's little more than a mixture of oil, unleaded gasoline and some other garbage (cetane booster perhaps.) It will at best give you slightly lower fuel economy, and at worst, ruin your engines.

It's possible to make a FAME biofuel yourself for less than about $2/gal using some pipes, an old water heater, a heating element, a motor, filtered oil, methanol and lye...that won't ruin your engine.

16. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

isnt that called a .................still. :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

17. peterandbetty

peterandbetty Read Only Funster

The Bio-fuel basic is rubbish .We tried it last year and it was a utter load of rubbish and it did'nt work .So now we use Bio diesel and i think you will find that most chip shops use the solid veg oil which is of no use when making bio-diesel .
    Betty

18. Terry

Terry Funster

:Rofl1: At the rate it is going up it will be cheaper to buy stright veggie oil and fill up with that / no mixing :Rofl1::thumb:
    terry

19. Gonewiththewind

Gonewiththewind Read Only Funster

I have to tell you I have been running on Bio (Used cooking oil)Diesel for approx 7 years with various vehicles. :thumb:
    I have downloaded a directory of sellers throughout the country. the price does vary, up and down the country from 90p to £1.05 per litre.:thumb:
    As it is USED cooking oil, will someone please tell me how i am causing increased food prices or the starvation of the 3rd world pop, these are all blamed on BIO DIESEL.:Rofl1:
    It is one of the cleanest fuels around and does less damage to the atmosphere.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I heard yesterday that it uses more CO2 to grow the Bio diesel than if you used ordinary diesel!!
    Apparently, it is the type of fertilizer used!!!!
    Also as we know, many farmers are growing the products to make this Bio at the expense of growing food and food prices are going uuuupppppp!!!!!:Rofl1::Rofl1:
    You kill me :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

20. jkoebel

jkoebel Deleted User

I saw the tail end of a news segment on CNN not too long ago, about how riots over food prices in Mexico, were directly caused by the U.S. growing corn for ethanol production rather than food export.

Something about the price of food-corn in Mexico being tied to the price of fuel/seed/non-human food corn, and non-human food corn going through the roof.

They were blaming us, I blame bad economics -- price controls never work.

Bio, however, is amazing. It takes a waste product that was previously useless, and turns it into something better. Net 0 carbon, no waste disposal, both processors and restaurants make money too!