Jul 26, 2015
Scarborough
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
motorhome 2 yrs..caravan 35 yrs..camping 40 yrs
Hi everyone

the motorhome show at the Norfolk show Ground..to be aware thiefs are on site ...

A suit case solar panel was stolen early hours of this morning...

Lock down your belongings ....

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Very sad and extremely annoying.hope someone catches the culprits but they seldom do:(
Brian & Jo

OP
OP
M

Mely

Free Member
Jul 26, 2015
Scarborough
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi

thank you for all your kind words and support

the solar panel was stolen from the disabled camp site area..well onto the site..near the internal show entry gate for the campers....

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
So sad when these things happen, changes what should be a pleasant week end into a frustrating one. Unfortunately it happens and a timely reminder to remember to take what security measures we can.

OP
OP
M

Mely

Free Member
Jul 26, 2015
Scarborough
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thank you...
I must say..site security needs to be stepped up...all us campers have valuable belongings that are kept out side...in all my years camping 40+ years..i have never known theft on any site..either independent or club organisations ...

We all have the entrenched unspoken code of conduct ....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thank you...
I must say..site security needs to be stepped up...all us campers have valuable belongings that are kept out side...in all my years camping 40+ years..i have never known theft on any site..either independent or club organisations ...

All I can say , you have been very lucky:(, not to have had it nicked but not lost anything before, if you leave stuff outside.

OP
OP
M

Mely

Free Member
Jul 26, 2015
Scarborough
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks for your comments..and constructive advice...

Where does it start n stop..all campers have belongings out side..chairs ..generators swings..bikes..water canisters...awning..cars..caravans..motorhomes... the list goes on

theft is not acceptable and should be taken seriously ...at the end of the day people will begin to stop attending these events...because trust amongst us has begun to decline...

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hope I'm not being picky, but I would never leave anything outside that wasn't fastened down anywhere, official campsites included.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Sorry that this has happened - especially since the solar panel could be vital for someone needing to keep batteries topped up for medical equipment.

I have had small things* taken (annoying but not life threatening) and try to put everything inside when going anywhere - but who moves everything inside if just going to the tap for example? Especially as things can get taken even if you are in and around your van.

Leaving things outside, or even in an awning or pup tent, is a risk most of us take from time to time.

I just hope the panel was marked with a ID label and is recovered.

* gas lighter and potato peeler and can opener on different sites!!!!!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Sorry that this has happened - especially since the solar panel could be vital for someone needing to keep batteries topped up for medical equipment.

I have had small things* taken (annoying but not life threatening) and try to put everything inside when going anywhere - but who moves everything inside if just going to the tap for example? Especially as things can get taken even if you are in and around your van.

Leaving things outside, or even in an awning or pup tent, is a risk most of us take from time to time.

I just hope the panel was marked with a ID label and is recovered.

* gas lighter and potato peeler and can opener on different sites!!!!!
Sorry to hear of the loss - if it isn't nailed down, it will often go missing. as for PD's loss. - It was me...... promise to return the errant spud peeler. It wasn't very good anyway. Can opener was only taken to open Shifty's wallet (failed) and the gas lighter was used to try and light Dawn B's Fire she has in her conservatory. Unfortunately, the fire was electric but the insurance have been very understanding ;)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Thanks for your comments..and constructive advice...

Where does it start n stop..all campers have belongings out side..chairs ..generators swings..bikes..water canisters...awning..cars..caravans..motorhomes... the list goes on

theft is not acceptable and should be taken seriously ...at the end of the day people will begin to stop attending these events...because trust amongst us has begun to decline...
I'm afraid the days are long gone when you can leave anything out anywhere. Everything should be put away when not in use and chained down when it is especially solar panels and generators, after all it may rain and a folding panel will not generate at night..

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Sorry to hear about the theft , it's a real shame that stuff is getting nicked , I've ordered heavy duty door locks for my new van , I'll also have an alarm fitted

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We've been really lucky.
Touch wood.
We've never had anything taken. In all the years we've tented, caravaned and now motorhomed.
Then again we don't do big Sales/Commercial shows.
The only big rallies we go on are with the funsters, and the odd DA rally. We tend to go by ourselves most times to small cl's etc.
Welcome to MHF by the way. (y) You've picked a good site to join.
There might be the odd round dodger but no solar stealers I'm aware of! ;)
Shame your first post has to be on fellow campers stealing your equipment. You'll have to get a solar fixed on the roof, then no one can pinch it !

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Unfortunate but why imagine anything left outside might be safe? If I leave anything out its a calculated risk I have to take on the chin if I gambled wrong.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Lots of things are left out.
And tents don't have any locks!
Very dissapointed when stuff gets stolen. What goes around, comes around.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Probably local criminals, opportunity thefts, nothing to do with fellow campers

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Honest folk are trusting and don't think like criminals..............

Criminals are only interested in themselves and don't care about the consequences ...........

They are a different breed......

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Agree with barclaybasher,can`t believe it was a fellow campster,we were in that area for the weekend,probably down to " security" or lack of it!!.Would often wake up in the middle of the night & have a little nose around,did`nt see a soul.!The weather was bad enough let alone having your gear nicked. Sorry for your bad experience.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Motorhomers are from all walks of life just as anywhere else, would you leave stuff lying about around your gardens or drives and expect it not to go, just being campers doesn't stop people being thieves.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Thank you...

You might but the people who go around looking for stuff steal don't. They just see it as easy pickings.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Probably local criminals, opportunity thefts, nothing to do with fellow campers
Just as likely to be some lowlife from Derby, I'm afraid wherever you park up these days if you leave equipment outside you should expect the worst,it is your responsibility to look after your goods. With all the incomers on the camping area some of whom would have been leaving early that day it could have been anyone and more likely than "a local" most of which are quite affluent and wouldn't go to the bother of breaking into the site to walk off with a few quids worth of equipment,

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
REALLY ???
well why not , you assumed it to be a local, could have been anyone from anywhere but more than likely to be someone already on site noticed it and nabbed it you seemed to be quick enough to blame a local

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Solar panels are often left out over night.....they catch the early morning light and can give you 3 or 4 hours charging time before you get out your bed.

If i caught some B.....d stealing from me they wouldn't need their batteries charging for a while.
The people that steal these things are either campers that don't want pay......or they are stealing to sell to fellow campers.

So the moral of the story is not to buy anything that your not sure where it came from, cheap or otherwise.

Reminds me of the chap that worked with us...........showing off his new ( to him) in car cassette player he bought from the thieves............three nights later, smashed window and no cassette player.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
I understand that but its not really very hard to secure them , to at least provide a bit of a deterrent , there will always be thieves as long as there are buyers .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back