Stolen Motorhomes......How do They Work it?? (1 Viewer)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
So, a MH gets nicked. As a vehicle, it's about as much use as a choccy fireguard, unless there is some way of returning it to service with a new ID. Say it was a Fiesta, or a Mini, well, fine, you could 'clone' a scrapyard special, but a motorhome? There cant be that many MHs in yards, surely?? OK, so lets say that a proportion of vehicles 'disappear' onto Le Continont, or even to Ireland, that dosent cover the numbers being nicked, therefore a large proportion must still be in this country. Do they strip them for spares?
If not, how do they give a stolen MH a brand new identity????? :whatthe:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well think about it..
A good many MH's have the base chassis type as the make in the log book. Mine has Pug etc .. No mention of Miller ..

Not gonna put any more info on here but will pm you how its done

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
far too easily, but as John said not to be posted on an open forum where anyone could read it. would potentially give some thieving git an idea on how to make big money. all i will say is that certain items sell legally on ebay that make the process too simple

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
My chum had his LHD Transit based motorhome stolen,some weeks later the burnt out chassis was found.
Nothing was heard until some years later the police pulled a similar vehicle.This was on a RHD chassis,and they pulled it because it was swaying from side to side,it was that that drew their attention to it not because they were looking for a stolen motorhome. They contacted him and he was able to identify over 20 points. It appears that the driver was an innocent punter who had been duped. The gang were based on a farm in the Lakes where they were stripping a building vans and caravans and selling them through a local garage, .
So while there not be many vans in scrap yards,No problem if other members of your gang are nicking a similar base vehicle One thing that clinched it was that he concealed his business cards in obscure places-he was a probation officer!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If you want to find out how then think like the thief. I'm not going to say any more on a public forum.

I use to be an auditor in a previous life - known as a forensic auditor as my job was finding out how fraud was committed, how it could be committed and how to (at least try) to prevent it.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
sadly if someone wants to steal something it pretty much can be stolen even if it is screwed down.

I think its very sad that today's society seems to show less respect for other people's property than it used to.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Only problem could be when they come to retax and MOT two vans with same reg number, MOT station may check VIN number as well

Peter

By that time the crook has sold and moved on so the innocent suffer. It's not *that* unusual for a vehicle to be tested for MOT before required - garages often MOT vehicles anew as they are sold. Tax is a different matter now there are computer links. In the past tax discs could be bought at the post office with only cursory checks. Not sure how that would work now.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Summary roadside execution of all vehicle thieves might be the best way to solve vehicle theft!
And uninsured drivers!

Now where's my Daily Mail?!:roflmto:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Summary roadside execution of all vehicle thieves might be the best way to solve vehicle theft!
And uninsured drivers!

Now where's my Daily Mail?!:roflmto:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Method of execution might be to fill vehicle with gas?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Mr Puddleduck, would you like a copy of the info sent to Yorrick and Tootles ?

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
I am very streetwise!but even I got done with a stolen motorhome!purchased from a dealer who said it was his own vehicle.Just what we were looking for so bought it,promised a current hpi check which didnā€™t materialise when I collected it.I did my own the next morning which showed the mileage was 20k more than I was sold as! Wanted my money back but did agree to Ā£1500 pound back as vehicle was fine!6 months later noticed a date on the wiring harness which was 2 years later than its registration.I scraped the under seal off the reverse of the foot well were the chassis nos was stamped.It revealed another chassis plate had been skilfully let into the metal!This had been taken from another Ford Transit!Will not bore you rest of story but it turned out it had been stolen a few weeks earlier than me buying it and that the Dealer had ā€œformā€.Ended up buying it from insurance company for nominal sum and taking Dealer to Court!Got awarded Ā£12000 but never got it!!

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
And me please a bit skint ATM....!šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
I don't think this is a good idea

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I was joking!!!

No one should have knowledge of how to steal and forge MHs!!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun