Aug 23, 2009
Burnham on Sea-late of Mortagne sur Gironde
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 1995
image.png
Just came across this on my Facebook page and thought a bit of publicity wouldn't go amiss.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
What a bunch of rotten ba57ards they are, so often the Motor Home is the main Pride and joy, certainly often the largest single investment.

Thanks for posting, I'll keep it in mind.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Looks like another transit !

Yeah, don't rub it in!

I can only urge all other Transit owners to protect their OBD ports to prevent theft.
It would be useful also if the standard Ford locks could be replaced. It is a shame that presently only replacement door locks are available.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
It really is a disgrace that Fords are so easily stolen in this day and age!

Perhaps this gets them out of the Fix Or Repair Daily problem by letting them be stolen first!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Phil65

Free Member
Oct 13, 2012
Newark, Notts
Funster No
MH
Coach built, low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
I really feel for them.
I hope the insurance company pay out so at least they can replace it.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Where do they all go? Bikes I can understand as the parts are worth more than the bikes ... can you break and sell a MH? Can you sell them whole without papers? What would we do if we saw one? 999 - I've just seen a stolen MH going south on the M6, sorry this number is for emergencies only? Presumably if you are going to nick one you have somewhere to store it, it's not going to be stood out on the road where one of us could see it.

:wondering:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I saw this too but a danger is highlighted in this form of social media. The picture shown is not the vehicle stolen but a copy of the model stolen. This has serious consequences for the owners of the mh shown in the picture.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Where do they all go? Bikes I can understand as the parts are worth more than the bikes ... can you break and sell a MH? Can you sell them whole without papers? What would we do if we saw one? 999 - I've just seen a stolen MH going south on the M6, sorry this number is for emergencies only? Presumably if you are going to nick one you have somewhere to store it, it's not going to be stood out on the road where one of us could see it.

:wondering:
Picture this...
You legitimately own a Ford Transit based motorhome.
Your family/friends/associates steal three very similar vehicles and clone the original vehicle...
You now have four Transits driving around with the same number plate.
Only the original vehicle needs to have mot, tax and insurance. The other vans all appear legal too.
Who's ever going to know and what are the chances of getting caught ?
If the vehicles were caught together, then there is a risk. But since the 'owners' know each other, that's never going to happen...

This is just one scenario, there are many other ways for thieves to work it....
It's a real problem for all transit owners and potential buyers, as the thieves quite like white vans too :whistle:

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
So presumably the van in the OP had false plates on it before the engine was warm, and they're away Scot free - unless they used the plates as shown in the picture :rolleyes:

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
This one was stolen from Christchurch, Dorset on 5th October 2016
Hi all.
Another stolen camper.
A camper was taken from my nans in Christchurch Dorset last night at 12:30am
Transit roller team 220
Reg: LT14 JVL
If you see it about please let the police know
14520458_10153848040981053_3427484762794317900_n.jpg

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
So presumably the van in the OP had false plates on it before the engine was warm, and they're away Scot free - unless they used the plates as shown in the picture :rolleyes:
I hadn't considered that - makes perfect sense and frighteningly easy...

This one was stolen from Christchurch, Dorset on 5th October 2016
Hi all.
Another stolen camper.
A camper was taken from my nans in Christchurch Dorset last night at 12:30am
Transit roller team 220
Reg: LT14 JVL
If you see it about please let the police know
14520458_10153848040981053_3427484762794317900_n.jpg
This is so similar to the first van, they could all be driving round with the same plates :eek:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Picture this...
You legitimately own a Ford Transit based motorhome.
Your family/friends/associates steal three very similar vehicles and clone the original vehicle...
You now have four Transits driving around with the same number plate.
Only the original vehicle needs to have mot, tax and insurance. The other vans all appear legal too.
Who's ever going to know and what are the chances of getting caught ?
If the vehicles were caught together, then there is a risk. But since the 'owners' know each other, that's never going to happen...

This is just one scenario, there are many other ways for thieves to work it....
It's a real problem for all transit owners and potential buyers, as the thieves quite like white vans too :whistle:
This is how it works but might and probably all on Irish plates, much cheaper way of getting on the housing ladder if you just nick it., the chance of two together highly unlikely so it goes on .

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Fords in particular are easy. Sadly the means to deactivate the on board security can be openly bought on the internet for not a lot of money.

Please please please also be aware if you own a Ford and have had a car alarm fitted to your motor home that arms and disarms using the original Ford key, that your alarm will also be deactivated

If your alarm installer has installed as stand alone system, you will have a seperate alarm fob, and attacking the Ford electronics will not stop the alarm/tracking/paging system

If your installer has taken the easy option and tied the alarm into the Ford electronics then your vulnerable

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Physical deterrents must be considered in this day and age.

Did the funster that had his van stolen in the summer @bigfoot ever hear anything of it

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Physical deterrents must be considered in this day and age.

Did the funster that had his van stolen in the summer @bigfoot ever hear anything of it
No not a sausage the tracker seems to have been jammed and it pinged an APNR camera 30 minutes after it was stolen,then nothing.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
No not a sausage the tracker seems to have been jammed and it pinged an APNR camera 30 minutes after it was stolen,then nothing.
Must be like losing one of the family. One day they will take on the wrong van and get their comuppance.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Tracking jammers really don't work very well. When travelling past masts the messages easily get sent in.

Our latest systems have anti jamming software, and will send a help message if it detects anything suspicious, sound a siren and immobilise the motor home

What tracking system did you have installed Bigfoot?

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
Tracking jammers really don't work very well. When travelling past masts the messages easily get sent in.

Our latest systems have anti jamming software, and will send a help message if it detects anything suspicious, sound a siren and immobilise the motor home

What tracking system did you have installed Bigfoot?
It was a Phantom device on the Thatcham list.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
It was a Phantom device on the Thatcham list.
:eek:
Caravan Guard insist on a thatcham one or eddies strikeback/grower as an alarm when they quoted me, seems like the alarm would have been the better option if I had stayed with them, Adrian flux didn't ask for either but having read your post Bigfoot might as well buy a cheap tracker of eBay

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
:eek:
Caravan Guard insist on a thatcham one or eddies strikeback/grower as an alarm when they quoted me, seems like the alarm would have been the better option if I had stayed with them, Adrian flux didn't ask for either but having read your post Bigfoot might as well buy a cheap tracker of eBay
The Police have advised not to rely on electronic deterrents but to use good locks on doors and a clutch claw type device as well as a steering wheel lock and one on the OBD port.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The Police have advised not to rely on electronic deterrents but to use good locks on doors and a clutch claw type device as well as a steering wheel lock and one on the OBD port.
That's strange as none of that would stop the van being taken

Good locks on the doors of a metal car can help but polystyrene sandwiched between two bits of thin Aluminium offers little protection if someone is prepared to use force to break in

Luckily most thefts "from" all vehicles is opputunistic and spur of the moment

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
My theft was planned and there are circumstances,which I prefer to keep to myself,that indicate such.
Eddie do you have any fitting agents in my area,NW near Chester?

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
My theft was planned and there are circumstances,which I prefer to keep to myself,that indicate such.
I think he only covers the south east south central nowadays with a mobile unit from the farm.

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Sorry to hear about the theft of your Moho. Thieving barstewards. We recently went down to Cornish farm from Fife ....... well worth the trip! (y) We feel a lot safer now.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Sadly no we just had so much problem with either poor fitting, or business's not being run properly folding and refusing to assist their customers, who in turn were looking to us for assistance, which in many cases we were unable to offer

10% of our turn over that resulted in 90% of our headaches

With offering camping on our own site, we try to induce people to come to us www.cornishfarm.com

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Sadly no we just had so much problem with either poor fitting, or business's not being run properly folding and refusing to assist their customers, who in turn were looking to us for assistance, which in many cases we were unable to offer

10% of our turn over that resulted in 90% of our headaches

With offering camping on our own site, we try to induce people to come to us www.cornishfarm.com
.....and well worth the trip

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back