Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Taken from Facebook

Hamish the Hymer, PO56CDF. Our Hymer 522 van has been stolen between 11.30 last night and 7.30 this morning. On a blue transit base. From Walsall. Please keep a look out and let us know if you see him. Hamish is written in blue across the back.

OP
OP
big map

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Not mine, I have just seen it on Facebook and spreading the word (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I am just up the road and will keep a look out BUT bet it's miles away now.. :(
As said... "another Transit".....:doh:

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
scumbags if I had a ford I would have extra deadlocks fitted and a non starter fitted no matter of cost .

They must be gutted , it has to be the same gang stealing all the ford motorhomes

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Awful situation for these poor people. Very sad.

It appears to still have the original cab door locks, one on each side! No additional security on the habitation door either. I wonder whether it had its registration on the roof? Did it have an alarm, wheel clamp, steering wheel lock........? I know that the windows will always remain the weak point, but if you can slow them down and make it hard to move........!

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
good news hope they have not done to much damage

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Looks like it was parked up and left to see if had a tracker fitted , they leave it for a couple of days if its still there they no it does not have a tracker fitted.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
While I was at the Garage on Tuesday in Retford, they had two visits from the police letting them know to be careful with ford transits. 3 had been stolen that week.

I think there 'may' be some 'new' technique going round that allows thieves to easily nick transits. I know they have never been brilliant on security but this is worrying for transit owners I think.

My advice would be, If you have a transit get deadlocks fitted asap.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Great result..not heard of cantrack before . Looks ok

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
once inside a transit, which takes seconds using a device from ebay, the thief will plug a laptop into the OBD II port. Then using a piece of software they defeat the immobiliser and start the engine. all in it can be taken in about one and a half minutes. Ford know this but dont want a big deal made of the lack of security one one of the country's most popular commercial vans

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Glad the owners have been reunited with Hamish!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I think there 'may' be some 'new' technique going round that allows thieves to easily nick transits. I know they have never been brilliant on security but this is worrying for transit owners I think.
It's not particularly new, you can purchase a TiBBE lock pick on ebay for not very much money, that allows you to open the cab doors in seconds. Once inside, you simply plug a laptop into the OBD port, and program the imobiliser off, again, the device to do this can be purchased for pennies on ebay, and you are off.

My advice would be, if you have a transit, visit @eddievanbitz and get at the very least a non-starter, but best to go the whole hog and get the Growler.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
That's why i said 'new' not new. It has only recently come to the attention of the amateur scrotes apparently.
And I think the amateur scrotes are becoming more aware that the majority of these high value vehicles (motorhomes) have no security at all! A motorhome must represent the best "return on investment" for these scumbags! :mad:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I would be tempted to fight back. disconnect the obd port and wire it to a small inverter or an electronic ignition module. fry their laptop the instant they connect it to try and steal your van. you could wire in a hidden obd port for servicing the vehicle

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I would be tempted to fight back. disconnect the obd port and wire it to a small inverter or an electronic ignition module. fry their laptop the instant they connect it to try and steal your van. you could wire in a hidden obd port for servicing the vehicle
Nah, an inverter just isn't going to cut the mustard, you want something with the power of an ignition coil activated when plugged in! :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back