Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Taken from Facebook

last weekend and it was stolen..utterly gutted..we have the event on cctv but don't expect to see the camper again. AY08KCU Family of 6 so need six belts and berths and won't cope with bigger van..Any alternative makes.? what security should I invest in?

Jan 24, 2015
Leicester
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
Since2010
you have put on facebook?. That appears to be the place that gets attention. Sorry to hear of your loss.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
I would suggest that the thieves were aware of the cctv - hence the use of the van to hide their activity & the use of the curtain once inside the Moho.

Evil Scum.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Also saw this on facebook they must be gutted

I hope they catch the scumbags who stole it

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Surely with that much ctv they can catch them.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
An interesting video, just amazing how quickly they broke in and drove it away. Can only assume it was LHD as the access was from the pavement side and no sign of a lock on the offside door.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Terrible. So sorry for you. Hope you get it back unharmed or, if not, that you get a good insurance payout.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I thought it was the newest 2013 facelift transits that were easily stolen?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
It's RHD - you can see that when they drive it off. When the dark van pulls up close to the MH and waits for a while it looks to me like the rear passenger pulls back their sliding door and possibly does something to the cab door lock before they pull away and return on foot. Is that where the central locking is tampered with?

I'm probably stating the obvious here but if they turn the dark van round and park elsewhere there may be traffic monitoring CCTV footage too.

Sorry to see it happening and to hear about it. I've stuck duplicate adhesive number plates onto the roof of my MH in the hope that it might be easier to spot if stolen. Fingers crossed for a positive outcome (ie where the MH is returned and those responsible end up sharing a cell with Charles Bronson).

As an afterthought - it looks like the first guy to approach the MH on foot (around 5:10) may be left-handed.

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
An interesting video, just amazing how quickly they broke in and drove it away. Can only assume it was LHD as the access was from the pavement side and no sign of a lock on the offside door.

I think that it is a RHD and they used the van to shield the view, while they most likely opened the MH using a pre-prepared key. They then returned and accessed via the already unlocked LH door. As it pulls away the driver is in the RH side and the door lock is visible, as the light on the door changes

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
2017_04_26_17.45.16.png

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Would I be right in thinking that an awful lot more Transit based motorhomes DO NOT get stolen than do?

Given that there are so very many ways of making our vans more secure these days, I wouldn't dismiss a transit based motorhome just on the likelihood of it being stolen.

JJ :cool:

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Watch this if you're unsure about replacing the lock. There's one part where he reaches into the door and flicks something out....but it's not clear. It's a plate that slides between the lock and the door's outer skin and isn't that difficult to remove or replace......with care :whistle:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
most likely opened the MH using a pre-prepared key
You don't need a preprepared key you can buy a tool on Amazon for £30 that'll open a Ford.

And I'm ready to be hit with, "All vans are as easy to steal" or, "Publishing details on here about how easy Ford can be stolen with a £30 tool makes it worse". To which I would say every single Transit owner needs to be aware just how easy it is to drive off with their property and public knowledge of poor vehicle security is what makes manufacturers change.

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
You don't need a preprepared key you can buy a tool on Amazon for £30 that'll open a Ford.
Snip.

I thought that "the tool" gauges the lock and enables a "temporary" key to be made. Therefore it is usual for these thefts to be of vans that are parked for longer periods, so locks are gauged one day and taken at a later time. Hence a "pre-prepared" key

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
If this was the land of the Trump, would their version of these Ford vehicles be as vulnerable? If so, it wouldn't surprise me for some kind of law suit or class action case as not being fit for purpose? It really is quite disturbing how easy the thieves have it...

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
I thought that "the tool" gauges the lock and enables a "temporary" key to be made. Therefore it is usual for these thefts to be of vans that are parked for longer periods, so locks are gauged one day and taken at a later time. Hence a "pre-prepared" key
I think it unlocks the door and turn's the alarm of so they have plenty of time to play

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011

So presumably the temporary key also contains a clone of the electronic code that is required to disable the immobiliser? Worrying. I'm starting to feel relieved that that I have just traded in my Transit based Chausson, although will my new Peugeot based one be any better? I do have a tracker and a steering wheel lock as additional security and off to Cornish Farm in a week for Eddie to fit a Growler alarm. By the way, the OP asked for suggestions for a 6 berth replacement MH. If he can cope with a Transit based one again (obviously with up-graded security) a Chausson Flash 03 might suit. It has a large double over-cab bed (very comfy), a dinette that converts to a smaller double and two single bunks at the rear. We only changed ours because I am getting a bit old to go up and down the ladder 4 or 5 times every night to visit the smallest room! The silver lining is that we love our new Auto-Sleeper Broadway FB. Best of luck to the OP for a swift and satisfactory insurance settlement. Do post how you get on and what you choose as your new pride and joy. A picture would be nice!

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Does anyone have any idea where all these stolen motorhomes end up ?
Also, the CCTV does a lot of pan and zoom which is really useful in this video, is that an automated feature of modern systems ?
ie zoom in and track moving objects. Leaves my ancient system in the dark ages, maybe time for an upgrade !
Hope the scumbags rot in hell

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Does anyone have any idea where all these stolen motorhomes end up ?
Also, the CCTV does a lot of pan and zoom which is really useful in this video, is that an automated feature of modern systems ?
ie zoom in and track moving objects. Leaves my ancient system in the dark ages, maybe time for an upgrade !
Hope the scumbags rot in hell
Most of these stolen vans will be stripped for parts.
The cctv in the film is not panning and zooming/tracking.. thats just the software making the movie. Hence the detail is so rubbish on the suspects.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back