Stirling B2b Battery Charger On A Ih 630rl

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Wicketter, May 6, 2015.

1. Wicketter

Wicketter Funster

Has anyone experience of fitting a Stirling B2B charger so that the leisure battery can be charged from the alternator while travelling. IH tell me the only way to charge the leisure battery is by electric hookup. This is for a 630RL. Any help appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Steve

Steve Funster Life Member

The only thing i can say is the b2b is a good bit of kit and works well on my CI Ducato.
    Steve. Never needed a ginny since, please make sure it is wired up correctly

Last edited: May 6, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Best thing I fitted to MH. We sold the honda 10i as no longer needed. Can run static ( Some say you should not ) for 15 minutes and batteries are full topped up or as we move every few days if wild camping, batteries are ready again by the time we park up. We also have a solar panel 120watts so parking for a few days is not a problem. Fitting should take you no more than 1 hour providing you have all the cables etc ready.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Well you can do it , because we did. It came with fitting instructions.
    I've got no idea how.
    Ralphs done it. But he's too busy at the moment to reply. You just have to be careful with other relays and fridges etc.
    He's actually got one to sell , A sterling B2B.
    Because he's putting a victron Cyrix 120 A on Pug.
    This will bump you back up. And maybe you'll get a reply from someone who can help.

5. andy63

andy63 Funster

hi , again I hope I understand and am not missing the point , but the purpose of a battery to battery charger is to allow the leisure batteries to receive a charge when the engine, solar or whatever source of power is connected.. I don't have one myself but a quick look at the sterling web site and the fitting instructions indicate a fairly easy job , if you have the cables and connectors... the only equipment you may need would be some heavy duty crimping tool.
    same job can be achieved using a heavy duty voltage sensing relay, all be it not nearly as efficiently but at a lot less cost... that was my option (a blue sea dual sensing 120A relay with a tell tale led to show when the battery banks are connected)
    cant understand how you are been told that EHU is the only possible option...
    there are others on here who can advise and have a lot more knowledge on the subject...as bev said above keep the thread bumped and one will be along..:)
    ta andy

• Like Like x 2
  6. TheDentons

TheDentons Funster

How much is the b2b?

7. Abacist

Abacist Funster

Over £200 plus cables and bits!

8. Steve

Steve Funster Life Member

The van must already have a split charging system of some sort surly?

9. trophychap

trophychap Funster

I am not an electrician! but surely if the only way to charge your battery is via an EHU, the van must already have a battery charger installed?

Are you saying that your habitation battery doesn't charge whilst you are on the move? If not a relay or some such has not been installed when the van was converted.

I am sure other more knowledgeable funsters will be along soon to advise.

10. carolyn

carolyn Funster

Hi Lesley, are you sure about this, Trevor told us that the habitation battery was charged by the alternatir and that there is some sort of battery master that makes sure neither battery gets overcharged. As we have the same van as you I do wonder if they know what they are talking about. We have just booked into Vanbitz for an alarm and solar and my understanding was that the b2b charger increases the amount of electric that is produced by the alternator for storage. We had not planned on a b2b charger as well, it's all very confusing!
    Obviously this is a very simplified version for my brain.
    Ash at Vanbitz seemed to think that solar was better for us if we were going to lurk about for a few days at a time whereas the b2b was better if you were going to keep doing lots of short journeys and then just stop a night.

• Like Like x 1
  11. chaser

chaser Funster

Just had a look at what a 630 RL is at £55000 I'd be very surprised if it hasn't already got duel charging ,if it hasn't I'd definitely want to know why, are you sure something hasn't gone wrong.

12. carolyn

carolyn Funster

I agree with Chaser, i have looked at the manual PC320-IH pages 6 and 7 and I think we are OK. Mind you, any idea where the battery is, Trevor though it was built into the cupboard behind the drivers seat, he did not seem too sure though.

13. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

The battery is probably accessed through the back door.

• Like Like x 1
  14. carolyn

carolyn Funster

I am relying on your boys to track it down when we arrive in June Eddie!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wicketter

Wicketter Funster

I spoke to Ashley at Vanbitz last week and he knew that the battery is in the bottom of the cupboard facing the sliding door. It does seem confusing when you read the manual because it would appear that the charger and controller are capable of charging the leisure battery from the alternator. However that is not the information from IH, I am hoping the Vanbitz boys can have a closer look when we get there and resolve it one way or the other. We already have a solar panel fitted and just wanted some extra flexibility. Eddie suggested the B2B last year after we had ordered the van.

16. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

We have the same van, the alternator charges the engine battery, then the habitation.

Mains charger does the same (but in reverse)

And we have a solar panel which we can program to charge either one first (it then switches to the other one)

With this setup I can't really see the need for a B2B

17. flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken Funster Life Member

I had a b2b fitted last year by Vanbitz and it is a good bit of kit, as it does charge the hab battery's when either on the move or when parked (with engine running) up for long periods and solar panel cannot keep up with demand on multiple cloudy and non sunshine days, as I use electric kettle and Remoska cooker at times as well, so I do run battery's down to about 60% everyday especially when using cooker when wild camping or off ehu, although obviously a b2b would not be required if I was to have ehu everyday on sites or aires that had ehu,,, but as I prefer to use aires or wild camping where ehu is not an option then I have to have alternative power producing products, ie solar panel when nice sunny days, or b2b when cloudy days for days at a time, or a Genie!!!!!!!!!!
    Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

• Like Like x 1
  18. Wicketter

Wicketter Funster

mickyc, thanks.
    You are the first person to give us that information. I did as I explained at the beginning of this, speak to IH who said that the only way to charge the leisure battery was by ehu. Is it possible I did not ask the question correctly? Is there a way of telling that the leisure battery is being charged by the alternator?

Thanks,

Denis.

19. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

Hi,

I suppose the easiest way is to start her up, take her for a spin round the block and then check the battery voltage on the control panel.

Just been out in ours and the voltages were both in the high 13's when I stopped to check (an indication that they are both being charged)

20. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

Denis,

To check, I've just started the van and got SWMBO to hold about 1300 revs (just over tickover speed)

The engine battery rose to 14.4 volts, then the leisure battery started to rise (reached 14.2 within about 3-4 mins)

When I turned off the engine, both voltages slowly dropped to high/mid 13's

Proof that the alternator must have been charging both batteries.

• Like Like x 1