Still waiting for our new van (1 Viewer)

Burstner owner

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since approx 2007
We left the N.E.C exhibition very excited as we bought our first van. It was from the Burstner stand, and we gave our deposit to 'Timberland' of Chesterfield. We were told the van would arrive in this country at the end of February, we should receive delivery mid March, after they had fitted a few extras. At the end of November they requested, as agreed, some more deposit. We investigated their financial history, and decided to pay it on a credit card as we would get the extra protection. Early February they requested the full balance of payment, so they could buy the van from Germany. We of course said NO. We are still waiting for them to be able to afford to buy it from Germany. Apparently 5 other people did pay up front for their vans. Today is the 27th March, and it's still not ordered, we will not get it for Easter, maybe by end of April, no promises. If we could get our deposits back, we would and then place our order with another company.
If they couldn't afford to buy it, then they shouldn't have taken our deposits.
We are very disappointed with 'Timberland' of Chesterfield.
I also wonder what their after sales service is going to be like ?
Can I ask why have you posted on here without saying you have had discussions about it with Timberland? if you have what have they said?
if you cancel they will take you to court!!

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Thanks for the update - I am gobsmacked at the outcome though, sorry you've had such an awful time of it...

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
in fact why can't we close this thread and start

Sunny side up goes to Timberland

It could turn in to a blog :thumb:

Ha ha only just seen this - 'spose we ought to visit really tis only up the road we seem to have been everywhere flippin' else:(

Could be entertaining - going in with eyes wide open so to speak

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Burstner owner

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since approx 2007
We had dealings with Timberland/woodland motorhomes November 2011 and left a deposit for a motorhome at the NEC after reading some credit history on kevin cain and his company we decided to cancel our order as we didn't wish to trade in our current at the time motorhome 3 months before the new one that he already had on order arrived in the country. Kevin Cain took us to court and it has cost us approx £30,000 in costs. Our solicitor lead us to believe that we had a seven day cooling off period, which we have now could in 2011 at a trade fair it did not apply. Kevin Cain owner of Timberland took this all the way for 2 years to sue us. Just want to post to make public aware of this to ensure it does not happen to anyone else. £30,000 is heck of a lot of money for nothing, plus the stress hanging over us for two and a half years.
This was the OP

Burstner owner

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since approx 2007
This was the OP
Hi Techno.

We have just had a case going on with Kevin Cain, where we cancelled within 24 hours of leaving deposit at the NEC (this was for a motorhome that they already had on order for stock) This was November 2011 Kevin Cain took us to court and we ended up with costs losing £30,000 - sueing us for breach of contract, loss of earnings. He said it was a matter of principle. Surely it would be much better to get a good name for yourself and just considering it one of those things. I am in business and some things are not worth getting your knickers in a twist about, as it can be detrimental to business. We have purchased new motorhomes in the past from Brownhills (OK) Emm-Bee(Good) Camper UK (Excellent) Travelworld (Good) Timerbland :( We cancelled our order after investigating the history of Timberland as we were having to trade in our current at the time motorhome a good three months before the new one was due to arrive. Funny how he can just pull out of the deal!!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This is unbelievable, how you can write £30000 off and stil be saying not getting your knickers in a twist, this amount of money would finish some/most, people for life, and just for cancelling an order after 24 hours, have I got this right, how could he possibly be looseing at the most a couple of hundred pounds.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
If your solicitor gave you incorrect advice then you could claim against his professional indemnity policy!

Burstner owner

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since approx 2007
We are paying monthly in stage payments. Timberlands solicitor was 19k and timberland ended up claiming 5k losses the rest of the bill was our solicitor. Kevin Cain said he continued with the claim against us as a matter of principle! He would be better to try and get a good name for himself instead of upsetting potential customers. We are looking into a claim of professional negligence.

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
All of that sounds outrageous ! I always thought that under the consumer law there was a cooling off period of 48 hours during which you could cancel the deal . I must have been wrong ?

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

Can't see how Timberland's solicitor could get you for £19k - looks like you were stuffed twice(n)

Can't you challenge their costs?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I am puzzled. If this was a £5,000 claim then it should have been allocated to the small claims track. In that case it will be unlikely that either party would get the other side's solicitor's costs awarded against them. Your solicitor should have advised you about that as well.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This is all beyond me, never having anything like that sort of money, I wouldn't have been in the situation of buying anything like that, so not really fit to comment but how they can say its a matter of principal for other buyers , who ever in their right mind will ever deal with them again if they know the details of this, I would be afraid of going through their doors , I have many times said I would have something then changed my mind, and only after one day how many wheels could have been set in motion that couldn't be changed, and as for the bloke who's having to pay it , I would be devastated, well I'd be destitute and bankrupt.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back