Still waiting for our new van (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
We left the N.E.C exhibition very excited as we bought our first van. It was from the Burstner stand, and we gave our deposit to 'Timberland' of Chesterfield. We were told the van would arrive in this country at the end of February, we should receive delivery mid March, after they had fitted a few extras. At the end of November they requested, as agreed, some more deposit. We investigated their financial history, and decided to pay it on a credit card as we would get the extra protection. Early February they requested the full balance of payment, so they could buy the van from Germany. We of course said NO. We are still waiting for them to be able to afford to buy it from Germany. Apparently 5 other people did pay up front for their vans. Today is the 27th March, and it's still not ordered, we will not get it for Easter, maybe by end of April, no promises. If we could get our deposits back, we would and then place our order with another company.
If they couldn't afford to buy it, then they shouldn't have taken our deposits.
We are very disappointed with 'Timberland' of Chesterfield.
I also wonder what their after sales service is going to be like ?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i'd seek citezens advice as this is most irregular and could be miss selling.

if you are not going to pay up front ( which is sensible ) and they need the money to pay for your van first then how are they going to get your van ever!

sorry not trying alarm you but its a very serious question.

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
We left the N.E.C exhibition very excited as we bought our first van. It was from the Burstner stand, and we gave our deposit to 'Timberland' of Chesterfield. We were told the van would arrive in this country at the end of February, we should receive delivery mid March, after they had fitted a few extras. At the end of November they requested, as agreed, some more deposit. We investigated their financial history, and decided to pay it on a credit card as we would get the extra protection. Early February they requested the full balance of payment, so they could buy the van from Germany. We of course said NO. We are still waiting for them to be able to afford to buy it from Germany. Apparently 5 other people did pay up front for their vans. Today is the 27th March, and it's still not ordered, we will not get it for Easter, maybe by end of April, no promises. If we could get our deposits back, we would and then place our order with another company.
If they couldn't afford to buy it, then they shouldn't have taken our deposits.
We are very disappointed with 'Timberland' of Chesterfield.
I also wonder what their after sales service is going to be like ?

I hear bells :Eeek:

I hope it wasn't large sums?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I know this may not help but I think you just kissed goodbye to a lot off money think there in trubill and with this thread going around it wont take long for them to lose all there business maybe a good idea to keep it under you're hat good news travels fast bad news travails faster :thumb:
I am sure that a lot of traders are now following this thread

Last edited:

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
I know this may not help but I think you just kissed goodbye to a lot off money think there in trubill and with this thread going around it wont take long for them to lose all there business maybe a good idea to keep it under you're hat good news travels fast bad news travails faster :thumb:
[HI]I am sure that a lot of traders are now following this thread[/HI]

Good, Some traders are unscrupulous robbing gits that need to sit up and listen!:Angry:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Amazed they were on a Burstner stand in the first place.

Surely they have an agreement with Burstner for delayed payment terms?

Perhaps they are already in breach of those terms and now Burstner want payment in advance?

I don't know what your contract terms were in terms of supply, but if the dealer is in breach ( and it looks like it) then call your credit card provider and tell them your story and leave it to them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hotelman
Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
We paid the initial deposit on the debit card, then when we realised their history we then used the credit card.
I wonder if we may get a reply on this forum from ' Timberlands' as they were pretty quick to reply to forum postings about why they went into administration.

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Amazed they were on a Burstner stand in the first place.

Surely they have an agreement with Burstner for delayed payment terms?

Perhaps they are already in breach of those terns and now Burstner want payment in advance?

I don't know what your contract terms were in terms of supply, but if the dealer is in breach ( and it looks like it) [HI]then call your credit card provider [/HI]and tell them your story and leave it to them.

And the police while you are there because you my friend, appear to have been scammed! :Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry:

(Note the word 'appear' is not an accusation merely an observation)

Last edited:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Can I ask why have you posted on here without saying you have had discussions about it with Timberland? if you have what have they said?

OP
OP
Hotelman
Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
We have had discussions, but they are unable to say when they will be in position to pay Burstner so they can have it delivered. They say ' maybe next week', and maybe ' next week'.
I wouldn't want any other Funsters to get into our situation .

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
They were representing Burstner on the stand so have you contacted them yet as they hold a partial moral if not legal responsibility, I would would have created hell with them

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
or just cut them out an go straight to the manufacturer

Unfortunately it is not possible to deal direct although one would expect Burstner to take some action as its their reputation especially when purchased on their trade stand.

Youe contract is with your supplying dealer who is if as stated in your posts are in blatant breach of their contract with you.

Peter

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
There was a very unpleasant thread on another forum last year about them over a part exchange on a new van and a renege at the viniger stroke because a repair had not been declared even though it was good as new. Head honcho finally gave up putting the customer down after the OP presented more evidence which he did not refute.
Conclusion was stay clear of Timberland.
That also included very long delays

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
This was the OP
You can see that I have no experience in making posts to forums. I come back to the post I originally made and find that the topic is closed. I haven't yet read all the posts but I will do. I didn't realise that there was so much interest. I was only notified of one post which didn't contribute much. Clearly though there posts were asking for more information. With this being a new topic I may be repeating some information.
We ordered a new Burstner at NEC on 27/10/2012.Paying £2000 deposit.
We upgraded the order after less than a week.
We paid £4,700 additional deposit on 27/11/2012.
We were informed that the Van was scheduled for manufacture in March 2013 (the original order would have been manufactured in FebrFebruarye chase the van at the being of AprilApril weren't getting any answers.
As we would have liked the van for the being of May, we went to see Kevin Cain (Proprietor of Timberland) at Chesterfield on 8th April 2013. He really just said Lee Sowerby was looking after it.
We were told generally it takes 7-10 days to get a van from the factory to this country and another 7-10 days before the customer can take delivery.
We chased many, many times. We did establish with Burstner that the Van was made and invoiced in March.
Lee Sowerby blamed the weather and transport. He claimed to have no control over the transport even though it was his responsibility.
Finally the van got to the port at the end of May (2 months after manufacture).
We then dealt with Alan (company secretary) for a few days (A much better experience than trying to deal with Lee Sowerby).
When the van arrived at Scunthorpe, Alan handed the job back to Lee Sowerby).
Now we couldn't have the van as they were waiting for the Nova form.
As we weren't sure the van existed we (my wife and I) went to Scunthorpe on 21st June to see it. We were a little relieved to find it existed, but still no date for it.
Challenging Lee Sowerby he said that it was not only Timberland that were involved but also Black Horse who provided finance to them. He suggested that as we were paying cash Black Horse weren't interested in us.
We then damaged the bumper of our current van on Sunday 30th June (now 3months after our new van had been manufactured). The damage was only a crack. I informed Timberland on Monday 1st July of the damage. I sent photographs on 2nd July.
I had the bumper repaired on 4th July.
Timberland then informed me that a repair wasn't good enough and that they wanted the bumper replaced.
I got a quote and delivery.
1. Bumper cost £1035.30+vat

2. Labour to fit Bumper £55+vat

3. Postage £50

I agreed to pay this (in addition to the repair) provided I got the new van immediately.
I got the van number from them and I suggested a date (Lee said it couldn't be guaranteed). I arranged for the insurance.
The day before I expected to pick up the van, I was informed that they still hadn't got the NOVA form.
I then rang Kevin Cain on his mobile and shouted at him and demanded he sort it out when next in the office (following Tuesday).
the following Tuesday (16/7) Lee Sowerby rang me and said that Kevin didn't appreciate being shouted at when he was out with his family. They didn't want to deal with me anymore and would send my money back.
The letter accompanying the cheque said I had cancelled.
After the cheque had cleared, I wrote to Kevin Cain and said that they had cancelled not me and as I had suffered losses, I may be claiming damages. He wrote back saying he didn't want a damaged van.
I make no comment on the above.
Peter

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we only live a couple of miles from Timberland showroom near Chesterfield, we only have experience as 'browsers' but had a long communication with Kevin Cain in Feb 13, he was falling over himself to sell us a virtually new Burstner Nexxio MH on his forecourt, we opted for our Hymer instead (he wasn't impressed)

I cant add any more company detail, but they do seem to be straight enough when you go in, but this will make me wary next time

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
This was the response
Good evening,

I have with interest read the thread which I will myself respond to in detail. I have at present a poor reception and have just logged on via access while away on my holiday with family. I am now back in the office on 6th sept and will respond in more detail then. While I sincerely apologise for the time in a detailed response the signal is slightly intermittent and want a better one so I can read all post.

Kind regards

Lee Sowerby

Director

Timberland Motorhomes

The reply never followed

OP
OP
Hotelman
Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
£10.00, is great value for the help, guidance and support you get on this forum.
A very special thanks to Techno100 for the time and effort in your reply.

THANKYOU all.

Any more help is always appreciated as " knowledge is power'

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I only copied and pasted :roflmto: but I truly sympathise with your agony :Sad: Good luck

P.S. I hope all the non subscribers cough up a tenner :thumb: turn your black or green to blue

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We paid the initial deposit on the debit card, then when we realised their history we then used the credit card.
I wonder if we may get a reply on this forum from ' Timberlands' as they were pretty quick to reply to forum postings about why they went into administration.

I am so sorry to hear this story, I wish you the very best of luck, the best Chinese of hope is the refund given to the other post

As previously said go for a refund of debit card money, let CC sort out the other, I can't see how you can lose, unless they go bust again

If my being local is of any use just ask, I don't mind blocking their entrance or similar :thumb: They only have one way in off a dual carriageway!!

OP
OP
Hotelman
Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
And to think, when you are spending nearly £60k, it should be a very pleasant and exciting experience, ......

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
And to think, when you are spending nearly £60k, it should be a very pleasant and exciting experience, ......

That is so true, but I have found personally the more I spend the greater my initial anticipation, often followed by greater disappointment

But best of luck, I think there will have been a good few readers of this thread who will all wish you well and hope for a fair outcome

David

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi sorry to hear your tale ---the credit card co is responsible for all the money paid :thumb: not just the remainder/further monies but it also includes the deposit paid by DD card (someone on here will provide the card protection code to quote):Smile: Ring your CC provider and let them sort it :thumb:It will take a couple of mths but it will get sorted :winky:
terry

OP
OP
Hotelman
Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
This was a very prompt reply from Burstner Uk.

Dear Sir,
We can confirm that your vehicle is complete at our factory and is awaiting collection by Timberland’s transport contractor.
However, Bürstner will not release the vehicle to the dealer until payment has been received from the dealer’s finance company.
Please contact your dealer as only they can authorize the finance company to make payment to Bürstner.
Once payment is received the vehicle will be released.
Regards

Bürstner UK
PO Box 164,
Bishop Auckland.
DL13 1WZ

Tel: 01388 537960

Von: Tim Hull [mailto:tim.hull@btopenworld.com]

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Your contract is with the dealer, not the manufacturer.

You buy the van from the dealer. If he doesn't own it, you can't buy it off him.

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
I had problems with Travelworld for maintenance work.
Luckily I'd paid by credit card.
Under section 72 the card company is equally responsible for the whole amount paid, not just the credit card payment.
To cut a long story short the card company refunded me almost half what I'd paid which I accepted as full and final .
Get the card company onto the case and let them deal with all the hassle, but don't let them try to fob you off. Stick to your guns and they will refund you the money whether or not they then get it back from the trader .That's their problem.:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I had problems with Travelworld for maintenance work.
Luckily I'd paid by credit card.
Under section 72 the card company is equally responsible for the whole amount paid, not just the credit card payment.
To cut a long story short the card company refunded me almost half what I'd paid which I accepted as full and final .
Get the card company onto the case and let them deal with all the hassle, but don't let them try to fob you off. Stick to your guns and they will refund you the money whether or not they then get it back from the trader .That's their problem.:thumb:

:thumb:terry

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Not too far away from you are one of Burstners agents with a reputation for excellence. If and when you get your money back you could visit CamperUK in Lincoln where they have earned the respect of many of their customers through honest dealing and fairness.

Alan

OP
OP
Hotelman
Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
We wish we had placed our order with them, because I think we would have enjoyed the whole buying experience.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back