Still on tour! Its Snow Joke though (1 Viewer)

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hi All

Are any of you out in your Motorhomes? We are still on hols in the south of the UK since leaving the Yorkshire Dales on Dec 21. Been to Hayling Island, Isle of Wight, New Forest, through Dorest and along the south Devon Coast. Currently on a fab CL near Salcombe but it was a bit dodgy getting down the narrow lane in the snow to get here. Spent a fantastic night on the beach at Slapton Sands last night. Freezing but the stars were so clear.

I reckon we might be stuck here for a day or two and then we want to head north to Illfracombe. I think the coldest night was -12 and we were fine.

Any tips on the safest route thats not likely to be snow bound from Salcombe to Illfracombe in the next few days appreciated.

Let us know where you all are or are we the only idiots out there (in the UK anyway)

We live in the North Yorkshire Dales and the village is cut off so no point in going home anytime soon anyway!

Cheers
Barry

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
try phoning for a chinook from Chivnor airbase they will fly you in.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Best stick to M5 and link road. shut earlier today but open again now. failing that if you feel brave follow the coast it will have less snow. stock up well with food/gas and fuel good luck. Hope to see you soon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suntorfan

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Compass 2 berth
Exp
since March 09
Still on Tour....

Sorry can't help with any route suggestions but if in need of a treat when you get to Ilfracombe a couple of years ago we had a good meal at the Gurkha restaurant there - don't know what it is like now but would re-trace our steps there if ever going back. Link Removed Happy travels.:thumb:

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
I would stay put for a few days to see how the weather goes.

No good way to get to north Devon /Somerset from where you are. If the A38 is ok then take M5 up to A361 but that was blocked last night. Most routes go round Dartmoor which will be very dodgy at the moment.

We have just come back from a couple of weeks at Waterrow in Somerset and Old Oaks in Glastonbury. Except for the wet spell just before New Year was lovely clear weather. Cold and clear and no sign of snow. Although I think they have their share of it now.

Glastonbury site was full over New Year but by the time we left on Monday there was only 7 pitches occupied. Lovely site just under the Tor.

By the way, Slapton Sands is great isn't it

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
we are in skegness with not a sign of snow, we had ours last week when our tanks froze as you might have read on another forum but our tanks are still drained due to more - temperatures forecast, we are in a camp site and are hooked up so we are very comfortable

The vagabond

Free Member
Mar 6, 2009
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Sorry, can't help with a route, but you are not the only loones out, we are in our van 365 days a year, when the roads are heavily salted, we try to stay off them as much as possible have to preserve our investment for as long as possible. We are currently in Staffordshire and seem to be missing the worst of the snow. Enjoy your travells and stay safe and warm.:thumb:

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I would stay put for a few days to see how the weather goes.

No good way to get to north Devon /Somerset from where you are. If the A38 is ok then take M5 up to A361 but that was blocked last night. Most routes go round Dartmoor which will be very dodgy at the moment.

We have just come back from a couple of weeks at Waterrow in Somerset and Old Oaks in Glastonbury. Except for the wet spell just before New Year was lovely clear weather. Cold and clear and no sign of snow. Although I think they have their share of it now.

Glastonbury site was full over New Year but by the time we left on Monday there was only 7 pitches occupied. Lovely site just under the Tor.

By the way, Slapton Sands is great isn't it

So maybe go right up the M5 and back along the coast?

I know the Old Oaks. Me and some pals camped there in our late teens in our "Glasto" years. I seem to remember the farmer selling cheap scrumpy by the gallon out the back of the barn. I remember downing a whole gallon of the stuff and spending most of the night on yes ON the loo!

Slapton was superb but what a tragedy for the US navy and indeed a hardship for the locals in the war.

Just been whizzing around Salcombe area on the bike and we are now so cold I can hardly type. Good thing about the MH though is it gets really warm really quick unlike our ancient house up in Teesdale which has probably dissapeared in the snow by now.

Cheers
BArry

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We have been away in our truck camper since before X-mas--------we had to decide whether to leave Oxford yesterday or today to head home----------we decided to come home yesterday, and the local radio kept announcing that snow was JUST behind us !!
We arrived home with little problem, only to find that the door locks and all the lockers on out 5th wheel (home) that we needed to open were frozen solid !!!!
We spent another night in the camper, then spent all day getting into the 5er then getting the water system un-frozen , the pump working and then getting the damp out of the heating furnace to convince it that working would be nice !!!
Now taken residence and warm and cosy !!!!:thumb::thumb:
If you don't HAVE to move, I think you should sit tight for a day or so, and keep an eye on weather !!
Nigel & Pamala

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
So maybe go right up the M5 and back along the coast?

Slapton was superb but what a tragedy for the US navy and indeed a hardship for the locals in the war.

The A39 from Bridgewater along the north coast is not a good motorhome route but may be better if the snow is less there. It usually is along the coast. Personally I would go A361 but as said previously was blocked yesterday around South Molton.

There is a memorial for the Exercise Tiger tragedy on Weymouth seafront . It is where most of the soldiers who died were billeted. (most of the drowned were soldiers in the landing crafts practising for D Day) When we lived on Weymouth seafront in June 2004 there was a service at the Tiger memorial to mark the 60 years since the tragedy and D Day with a number of elderly US survivors , comrades and relatives. Very Moving

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Sounds like a nightmare Sundowners. Glad you are sorted now. Mr Jinks thanks again. I sort of knew about operation Tiger but we just stumbled upon it all at Slapton Sands by chance really. Thats one of the joys of motorhoming you miss loads of stuff but you find even more by accident (or is it just us that dont plan everything).

In 1988 they dragged a Sherman tank out of the sea and its also as a memorial and we found that on the bike yesterday as well.

I reckon we will stay put where we are for at least tonight and tomorrow night and perhaps Fri night as well. We will watch the weather and posts on here and go for it if it looks ok. Its a lovely spot where we are. A fantastic CL with a sea view, dirt cheap and lots to see around Salcombe I reckon.

Its a great feeling to be in the van with a cold one all warm and cosy, cant think of anywhere else I would rather be right now.

Cheers
Barry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back