Still learning (1 Viewer)

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
In our Compass avantgarde 200, we have a control panel that has 3 switches, one of which is for the battery.....Aux / Off / Van...............

If we are plugged into the mains at home, so as to recharge the leisure battery, do we have to have that 'battery' switch in the Aux position or can we simply leave it in the 'off' position??

Thanks

Adge

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it needs switching to van or aux....one will charge the engine battery, the other will charge the leisure battery and the center position will do nothing.

if you have a multi meter connect it to the leisure battery then flick the switch one way and see if the voltage increases.....if it does then that is the switch position you want.
if it doesnt then flick the switch the other way.
i think 'van' may be the engine battery.
if the van isnt used for any length of time its worth switching it over from time to time to charge both batteries.

mine is labeled with a pic of the cab end of the van and one of the living end with center being 'off'.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AdgeRas

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
Thankyou Pappajohn. I know that the Aux is the leisure battery and the Van is the Engine battery, but I did not know that you could charge the engine battery by plugging into the mains.

I wish I had know that last month, I had to jump start the MH twice due to having a duff Van battery (which the dealer has now changed and fitted a correct, and heavy duty one).

Adge

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it does come in handy at times....

no 12v due to a flat leisure battery ?????

just switch to the engine battery and use that instead but dont overdo it or that also will be flat when you need to start the engine.

OP
OP
AdgeRas

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
It was the vehicle battery that kept going flat, but having just had an outside socket fitted so we can charge the leisure battery whilst at home, I needed to find out what position the switch needed to be in.

Thank you again, because now I also know I can charge the van (engine) battery too.

Adge

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i realised that was the problem adge, but what i meant was if you are camping without hookup and the leisure goes flat, at night say, you can switch to the engine battery as a short term power backup supply until you can recharge the leisure battery either by running the engine or a genny etc next day. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back