still a newbie after all this time!

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Sue, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Sue

Sue Funster

We paid the deposit on our aototrail in October last year, it suiting us to keep itat the dealers and pick up April ( actually today is the day we should be taking home our mh).
    Got a call last week from the dealer to say the mh has been brought up to the workshop to prepare for collection but major damp issues found. We went to see it yesterday and it looks like the whole internal will be stripped and rebuilt, in order to find the leak..they have some ideas what has happened ,but appear to be determined to get to the bottom of it.
    I dont know what to think or feel, to say i am massively disapointed is an understatement, but the plus side i suppose is that the dealers have been honest and seem to be making sure its put right.
    i am going to see the mh weekly to keep an eye on progress. BUT having lost money On a holiday we planned next week and the purchase of an alarm, I hate that i will now have to get into some sort of tricky dialogue about compensation...i hate that.( i have never tacitly stated that I accept the work and will paynthe rest of the money, still waiting to see how it all pans out)

Anyway , maybe some day I will be a real signed up member and actually have a mh to use...fingers crossed

2. Granjan

Granjan Funster

You must be gutted .....can they lend you something else ? ...... put your deposit against something else or return it. Dont know how much deposit you paid but would you walk away and look for another ?

3. Bill_OR

Bill_OR Funster

Sue - sorry to hear about this problem. I'd take some legal advice if I were you or, at least, contact Consumer Advice - details here

• Like Like x 1
  4. Baycott

Baycott Funster

That's a real disappointment Sue. Not sure I would want to accept a new van that's alread had extensive work done on it. :(
    I would, at the very least be discussing some kind of recompense for loss of loss of money on the holiday.
    Good luck with it and keep us informed on progress. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  5. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

Not cared for was it? Maybe another van or at least a loner? When our first one was due to be delayed they promised to lend us a MH

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sue

Sue Funster

its a difficult one ..we paid 2k deposit, its a 2003 van. Dont want to lose that, but dont want a dud. I keep telling myself that they seem to be doing the job to fix it, and at least we will know its been done. We could walk away get another, lose a deposit and still have problems. Very tricky..will probably keep an eye on it over the next couple of weeks and if its not working then say we want another..i havent said i will accept it yet.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

Surely not fit for purpose .seek legal advise

• Like Like x 3
  8. scousebird

scousebird Funster

That's a real shame. As other have said, can they lend you another so you can have your holiday at least.

• Like Like x 1
  9. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Yes its tricky, you could walk away and buy another great one or another dud. At least it should have all new panelling and be as good if not better than what it was when you first saw it.
    Good luck

10. Granjan

Granjan Funster

I think I would be looking to see what else is around .... Must be lots of motorhomes around and for sale from 2003 ... You might get something better elsewhere I would ask for my money back.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Sue

Sue Funster

yes, thats what i am hoping. its not an easy decision

12. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Oh Sue you must be so disappointed, I would ask them if they could loan you a van if only for the period of the holiday you have booked. I would say there is a positive side though you could have paid the full amount and took delivery of the van and you would have had a much bigger problem, while technically I would think that you have only paid the deposit and the van is now not fit for purpose you could get it back if you choose. Good luck with sorting it out.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Zains Pops

Zains Pops Funster

Look on the bright side, if you had taken delivery last year the damp problem would now be firmly in your lap and that is after you paid in full.
    At least the dealer is accepting the liability and fixing the issue at his expense.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Tinty

Tinty Funster

Really hope everything works out whatever you decide Sue.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Sue

Sue Funster

thanks
    good luck with yours!

16. Tinty

Tinty Funster

I'll let you know how it all goes. I've got everything crossed!

17. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

What a tale of woe, very disappointing. Personally, I would wait to see what sort of job they make of fixing the van, maybe get an independent expert to check it over before you hand over any more cash.

At least the dealer has got an incentive to get the van fixed, otherwise he will not be getting the balance due.

Good luck

Paul

• Like Like x 2
  18. Sue

Sue Funster

thanks Paul...thats kind of where i am at with my thinking

• Like Like x 1
  19. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I'm sitting here thinking how gutted I'd be if it were us.. . really feel for you.. such a disappointment.. but better caught now than if you have owned it for 6 months

I'm not a legal eagle, so not going to offer advice about refusing it and getting your deposit refunded or transferred to another purchase, that's what I'd want.. that's for you to decide.. but as has been said.. if it's sorted properly you should have a decent van... in a few months hopefully it will all be in the past..

good luck and keep us posted

• Like Like x 1
  20. Simson

Simson Funster

Hi sue, so sorry to hear about the m/h bet your gutted:cry::groan: I would be, hope it all gets sorted sooner rather than later and I think I would be asking if they could lend you one for your holidays. Which ever way it goes, with either that van or a different one, we wish you the best of luck and keep us posted on the progress. Mew & Mick

• Like Like x 1