Sticking rear window

Discussion in 'Top Tips & Tricks' started by midlander9, May 1, 2010.

1. midlander9

midlander9 Read Only Funster

Hi guys, tips please, the rear window on my Swift 590pr is stuck solid, I have tried brute force with no success, do not wish to damage the rubber surround in any way by forcing with a blunt instrument :Eeek: any one had this problem ?? and how do I get the window to open without any damage.

Mike

2. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

my hubby always says wd 40 solves everything

hope that or washing up liquid works

3. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

do you know why it is sticking?

I once had some friends stay at mine so i could clean there roof. One of the problems they had was the heiki rof light had become gunged and it was stuck against the rubber seal. I therefore used some fenwicks mtorhome cleaner and sprayed the window top to bottom and left for a little while. I then went back and redone it. I left it a little longer (not long enough for the fenwicks to dry) and then rinsed it thoroughly. It stil took a little bit of force to open but it did work.
    If it is not gunge but a hinge problem, the hinges are simple to remove (just make sure some holds the window) service the hinges and put the window back. Worse case scenario, is when my rear window broke and I had to replace it, I was amazed how cheap it was.

4. strathspey

strathspey Read Only Funster

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

you may have to use your finger tips to lever the 'glass' from the rubber seal.
    work slowly as the seal may tear if you try forcing it too fast.

when you do get it free try wiping the rubber seal with a little olive oil.....stops it sticking again.

6. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

neither should be used on window rubbers. Sorry Gail

7. midlander9

midlander9 Read Only Funster

Hi Funsters, thanks to you all who replied to my question, wildman, pappajohn,strathspay, haganap, and ourcampersbeentrashed, by the way , did`nt use wd40, eventually got it open using pappajohn`s suggestion which after some struggling and some sore fingers, it slowly pulled open, have gone round the rubber with some silicon spray, will open it again tomorrow to make sure its not sticking anymore, thanks once again to you all. :thumb:

Mike