sticking electric step (1 Viewer)

ddavewoods

Free Member
Jan 9, 2010
South West
Funster No
Exp
hi, the electric step on my MH has become very stiff, I need to help it out by tugging it manually, i think it needs lubricating / greasing, any one know the best way to do this, it is an OMNI step on a swift Kon Tiki 645.

thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
only one way i reckon.....blood, sweat and tears.

pull it out, get underneath with a wire brush, get off as much crud as you can.
push it back in and get any you couldnt get.

give it a good greasing with copperslip/brake grease...it will stay on the mechanism better than regular grease in the rain.

work it in and out a few times to get the grease where it should be.

Upvote 0

craiggs

Free Member
Feb 20, 2010
Funster No
i have just had the same and you can not see the rust as its gav i used pluse gas or pennol spayed it under side all pins and bolts left a few mins and they sarted to move in and out then more pennol spray all working good now

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i have just had the same and you can not see the rust as its gav i used pluse gas or pennol spayed it under side all pins and bolts left a few mins and they sarted to move in and out then more pennol spray all working good now

only problem with such as plus gas is its a freeing agent, not a long term lubricant, and because it contains a solvent it will wash any proper grease away that is present.
still needs greasing regularly. :thumb:

Upvote 0

MisterED

Free Member
Oct 5, 2009
Sunny Aberdeenshire !
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
3 glorious years, previous 18 a Tugger!
A good dose of Gunk !

Funny to see this today, just spent yesterday AM half under the van cleaning mine!:Eeek:

Gunk or any other good cleaning agent worked for me, :winky:

I looked to removing the unit and the pins to clean them all but found with a good clean then a blow out with compressor it was as good as new.

PJ is correct :thumb: you need a good sticky lubricant pushed into the pins and joints, all done now works a treat.

Happy Days.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
as already said, clean and grease,

I use WD 40 for cleaning then spray with chain lube grease ..

Upvote 0

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
This may not be common knowledge, but some plastics absorb and expand when certain lubricants are applied the them, for example I have seen a 40 foot yacht have its rudder removed because the skipper decided to add a little oil to the top plastic bearing on the rudder shaft, there was nothing wrong with the bearing he just thought it would be a good idea.

6months later the boat had to be lifted out of the water and have the rudder removed because the rudder had sized, two grown men together could not move it.

Before you put any lubrication on a plastic bearing check with the manufactures if there are any suitable lubricant.

Doug...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ddavewoods

ddavewoods

Free Member
Jan 9, 2010
South West
Funster No
Exp
thanks for all the good advice, havent had a chance to get it done yet, will have to do it today in the rain lol, as going away tomorrow.:Sad:

Upvote 0

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
Before you put any lubrication on a plastic bearing check with the manufactures if there are any suitable lubricant.

Doug...[/QUOTE]

just to confuse things my twin electric steps in my van's manual advise no lublication should be used

Upvote 0

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that

Doug...

just to confuse things my twin electric steps in my van's manual advise no lublication should be used[/QUOTE]

That confirms it then, don't lubricate it as it will damage the plastic bearing.

Doug...

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
My Hymer manual says DO NOT grease or lubricate the Omnistep joints as this can attract road dust and cause abrasion / wear to the system. Keeping it clean with water / air-line etc. would be my recommendation.

Philip

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just to confuse things my twin electric steps in my van's manual advise no lublication should be used

That confirms it then, don't lubricate it as it will damage the plastic bearing.

Doug...[/QUOTE]

My Hymer manual says DO NOT grease or lubricate the Omnistep joints as this can attract road dust and cause abrasion / wear to the system. Keeping it clean with water / air-line etc. would be my recommendation.

Philip

or do they just want it to fail in the hope of selling a replacement :Angry:

it is possible to buy silicon lubricant which shouldnt have an adverse effect on the bushes.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ddavewoods

ddavewoods

Free Member
Jan 9, 2010
South West
Funster No
Exp
I dismantled the step today, well took the front cover and bottom plate off, and there was the remnants of grease on the mechanism, so i cleaned it all up and blew it down, spanking clean, step still would not work properly, went to halfords and bought some spray grease suitable for plastic, professional white water resistant spray grease, sprayed the joints and sliders, perfect result, a fully operational step, the mechanism is pretty well sealed and there was no dust or debris inside when I dismantled it, so should be OK now, I think I may have caused the problem when I last washed the van as I jet washed the step off, probably removed the lube then.

Dave :thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back