Sterling alternator to battery Charger. (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
He just shot you down.

Only 35A available on tickover.
Standard system system gives you 80% charge.

So for that extra 20% you are going to add all this complexity and worse have your diesel running with a brick on the throttle pedal.

All you have to do it tell Nikki her hair looks wonderful if just gently rubbed with a towel. You might try running your kids off Fray Bentos pies instead of electricity.

Brian, I wanted this thread to die now I have the answer from Eddie. However, you miss one point, quick journey from one aire to another? increased charge. Have a look at Jon's post, 50amps, then of course there are those others I know that have the system and achieve more.
Your poison is another man's whatsit etc etc.
Carry on and I will demand you come around and install it for me in order to prove yourself wrong. :RollEyes:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I would rather arrive with my battery bank charged to 100% than 80%

Here are the sums.

3 x 125 Ah batteries = 375Ah available, but you should only look to use 50% before recharging so I have 187.5Ah to use.

Arrive with 80% charged batteries (125 / 80% = 100Ah) 3 x 100 = 300 Ah same rule of 50% discharge gives me 150Ah to use before recharge

So I gain 37.5Ah for nothing other than ensuring that my batteries are charged properly, irrespective of whether it is sunny, without resorting to a genny, a wind farm or sitting in the gloom or white light of having LED bulbs!

There are many charging systems that do similar things, in essence ensuring that the batteries are charged correctly. To do this the correct cable must be used to ensure that the voltage at the terminals is used to calculate the output voltage of the unit.

As for fuel consumption:ROFLMAO: your driving a delivery van that has had a caravan grafted onto the back of it! so I doubt that fuel is a real question, and as for premature ageing? I personally don't care what happens to teh van in a few years time as I won't own it!

Regards

Eddie

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
and that is why I let Eddie do my electrical work

I would rather arrive with my battery bank charged to 100% than 80%

Here are the sums.

3 x 125 Ah batteries = 375Ah available, but you should only look to use 50% before recharging so I have 187.5Ah to use.

Arrive with 80% charged batteries (125 / 80% = 100Ah) 3 x 100 = 300 Ah same rule of 50% discharge gives me 150Ah to use before recharge

So I gain 37.5Ah for nothing other than ensuring that my batteries are charged properly, irrespective of whether it is sunny, without resorting to a genny, a wind farm or sitting in the gloom or white light of having LED bulbs!

There are many charging systems that do similar things, in essence ensuring that the batteries are charged correctly. To do this the correct cable must be used to ensure that the voltage at the terminals is used to calculate the output voltage of the unit.

As for fuel consumption:ROFLMAO: your driving a delivery van that has had a caravan grafted onto the back of it! so I doubt that fuel is a real question, and as for premature ageing? I personally don't care what happens to teh van in a few years time as I won't own it!

Regards

Eddie

And that is the reason I let Eddie do my electrical work.. he puts the right size cable and equipment in the RV.. I know I am going to get the correct power for the battery / sterling equipment I have. I would not even consider letting anyone (even nearer to me) touch it.. he and his crew know what they have done at various times and I rely on the expert.

Bob... p.s is that worth more discount Eddie:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: seriously VanBitz does what it says on the tin.:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
is that a promise I ask?

I have just lost the will to live...

Is that a promise.. hope to die sort of promise???:reel: now the more Paul protests, I suspect the longer it will go on... Anyway I like to hear the experts:Blush:eek:pp5 are they experts?

Bob:Blush:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hang in there Brother,

im going to ask about Traction Batteries, Solar Panels and then Aframes next :thumb:

Jeezus Haggenap, I may buy you the bloody Sterling Bleeding whatis, I am devoid of any enthuasm regards anything electrical,. 235v 1.2 amp at sea level at 10millibar, dependant on the amount of drink Chrisboyo has drunk on a wet Wednesday in Newport Pagnell multplied by the number of farts than can be generated from eating raw FB pies and organic hand baked baked beans.

Its a motorhome, if the batteries run out, and its dark, its time to sleep, if its light, time to get up.

Otherwise sell the motorhome, buy a donkey and move to Portugal and become JJ's assistant..

Motorhomes are meant to be mobile and thats it, I care not a blind cuss if someone is daft enough to spend £1000 on a wave inverter sinus whatsis.

Go to a campsite...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Jeezus Haggenap, I may buy you the bloody Sterling Bleeding whatis, I am devoid of any enthuasm regards anything electrical,. 235v 1.2 amp at sea level at 10millibar, dependant on the amount of drink Chrisboyo has drunk on a wet Wednesday in Newport Pagnell multplied by the number of farts than can be generated from eating raw FB pies and organic hand baked baked beans.

Its a motorhome, if the batteries run out, and its dark, its time to sleep, if its light, time to get up.

Otherwise sell the motorhome, buy a donkey and move to Portugal and become JJ's assistant..

Motorhomes are meant to be mobile and thats it, I care not a blind cuss if someone is daft enough to spend £1000 on a wave inverter sinus whatsis.

Go to a campsite...

Is that a no to the Traction Batteries then?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hang in there Brother,

im going to ask about Traction Batteries, Solar Panels and then Aframes next :thumb:

Easy!

Buy themc:thumb:

Waste of time for half the year, when you need them:Doh:

Illegal, we all know it but do it (Why don't A frame companies offer to pay our fines and legal bills):RollEyes:

I out of here before the flak

Bye

Eddie:winky:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
do I see another A frame debate?

Easy!

Buy themc:thumb:

Waste of time for half the year, when you need them:Doh:

Illegal, we all know it but do it (Why don't A frame companies offer to pay our fines and legal bills):RollEyes:

I out of here before the flak

Bye

Eddie:winky:

Do I see another A frame debate starting :reel: goodie:thumb::loveyou::Blush:

Made my day

Bob:winky:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
How about positive pressurisation of your MH so when they try and inject gas into it it blows back in their faces.

Good idea Brian!

The same principle is used on Army armoured vehicles to ensure they are impervious to nuclear, chemical and biological attack!:thumb:

I reckon an NBC pack from a scrap AFV432 should be just the business! You would need to convert it from 24v to 12v operation though!::bigsmile:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Ok here goes...............

The Sterling B2B charger increases the useable capacity of your battery/batteries by charging them at a higher voltage (14.8V). The unit uses electrickery and witchcraft to amplify the alternator's output voltage of 14.4-14.5V. It just so happens this increased voltage creates more current and the battery charges faster as a result. A side effect of this increased charging current is less sulphation and longer battery life.
The reason that alternators do not charge at this increased voltage is because to do so will cause more battery gassing, water loss and more topping-up required by the battery owner. Obviously, this is not desireable in a modern motor vehicle and is the only downside of a Sterling setup. Having said that, we only need to top up once a year and our batteries are 3 years old with no sign of waining.

OK, now for that relay!
We use a 80Amp 5-pin relay to isolate the caravan electrics from the leisure battery bank whilst the engine is running. This relay is switched to open circuit by an ignition live.
When the engine runs, the leisure batteries are connected to the output of the B2B charger and NOTHING ELSE! When the ignition is switched off, the leisure battery is reconnected to the caravan electrics and it is business as usual!
The fridge, etc works in the normal way from the starter battery via the split charge relay and distribution panel.
As mentioned earlier, this relay is ESSENTIAL to prevent your B2B charger's input being connected to it's output via the existing split charge relay and the B2B charger being rendered useless!

Hope this explains things Paul!:thumb:

I was going to ask you what the relay was for.. i don't have one in mine but this explained it to me.

Mine is a self build and I don't have a split charge relay I have the B2B instead :)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Haggers, I am a competent DIY'er and have quals in electricery stuff.

I did my own B2B install with the help of a friend who is an auto electrician. I had his help because I don't have the crimping tool needed to crimp those big lugs. He also had all the parts in stock so it was easier to "borrow" his garage to do it and not have to keep running back and forward for bits I forgot. You are going to use the big lugs not the diy yellow,blue or red ones aren't you?

I would not personally do an A2B as a DIY job to be honest.

PS: This reminds me I need to look into why my B2B doesn't work :Doh::ROFLMAO:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
To save me going back over all the posts in this thread, have I missed anything interesting?

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have just lost the will to live...

It's OK shifty, its a motorhome post.. I found it interesting and I certainly learned a few things and I think I'll be getting Eddie to fit me a B2B ::bigsmile: If your still finding life a struggle get back to the Daily Mail, you don't want to miss the next big debate about whether Camilla should become Queen :winky::roflmto:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
To save me going back over all the the posts in this thread, have I missed anything interesting?
not realy missed much:Doh:
haggers cant wire a plug:ROFLMAO:
eddievanbitz can wire a plug:thumb:
shifty likes painting fences?:Smile:
sloberdombob has a stirling wotsit,running a triton v12 whosit,off an onan wotsit,and a toaster that only cooks crumpets,while towing an aframe wotsit with a genny on it ?
so boring realy:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
To save me going back over all the posts in this thread, have I missed anything interesting?

Not yet Dane,, just waiting for Glen from John Cross to come and give me the final bit of Info :winky:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Bloody cheek! :Sad:

I thought one of my contributions was very witty... :Angry:

JJ :Cool:

PS :)Rofl1:)

yeah, allright JJ, I know you wanna be an expert as well, and I know the footie went well for you tonight, but we all know, Glen from JCM is the man for this sort of stuff, Just waiting for JC himself to come along and ensure I ring him... that's not JC as in Jesus Christ you know,,, JC as in Jesus Christ is awaiting the reception of those that have lost the will to live....
:thumb::thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
another day in B2B has arrived

I see Paul you were still answering posts when I was in the land of ZZZZZZZZZZ but as another day has come I thought I would ask what is it you are waiting for from JC? I thought Eddie gave 'an expert' view... you can discount JJ he is an expert in FBP... but why do you need a lot of experts to tell you the same thing I wonder? I do often wonder the meaning of life... I thought I was on a winner when Shifty had given up the will to live... there I thought no more Daily Mail stories.. but I do not think he will do it? or will he? have we an expert that can say I wonder.. so what is your view JJ?

Anyway ... I am:reel: as always..

Bob:Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back