Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Compass 2 berth
Exp
since March 09
Hope this is the right forum area? A simple question hopefully..........we are fairly new to motorhoming having bought our outfit last March and gone abroad 3 times last year, and had a fab time, loving every minute of being away. We need to build up our extras, i.e. awning etc. but having to tread cautiously owing to money. Have decided we need a mat/carpet to step out on to from the van - realise this probably needs to be eco-friendly but if anyone can recommend something? :Smile:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Well I have a Morrocan Mat, bought at one of the shows. They are lightweight and colourful, made from plastic weave. Look great and are easy to clean.

Lesley

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Whereas the Morrocan Mats that Leslie's talking about look great I don't know if they're breathable, and some sites gets excited if you use a non-breathable.
We use a breathable groundsheet most of the time about 10 ft long and 6 feet wide, just right for under the wind-out, and we peg down through it at the corners. We have a much bigger one that we can use if we put up the stand-alone awning.
Since I'm barefoot most of the time you can understand why I even lay it out on a hardstanding, but I find it helps reduce the amount of grass and small stones that get trailed into the van

This is the sort of thing we use
Link Removed

Link Removed
for example.

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Like Lesleyjean we have the Morocco mat bought at one of the shows, we had previously had the breathable mat as Jaydee has, we find the Morocco mat easier just to roll up and carry across the back of the bike rack held with a bungee.
They are just as breathable as the matting any rain goes right through them, we have had ours down for a week or more with no damage to the grass, they are also very light to roll up and handle.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Like Lesleyjean we have the Morocco mat bought at one of the shows, we had previously had the breathable mat as Jaydee has, we find the Morocco mat easier just to roll up and carry across the back of the bike rack held with a bungee.
They are just as breathable as the matting any rain goes right through them, we have had ours down for a week or more with no damage to the grass, they are also very light to roll up and handle.

That's interesting to know. I get the impression that they are more sturdy than the breathables like mine, which can tear when they pull against the pegs.
Thanks

John

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
Try geomatting from your local builders merchants or landscape garden suppliers.
Don't leave it down too long - it is made to grow grass through:Eeek:
Patrick

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i'll go with the moroccan mat....2mtr X 5mtrs...long plastic 'straws' stitched together.

hard wearing and good to look at.....£50 from malvern show.:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We bought a Moroccan mat in Morocco, cheap as chips, great when it's on a dry grassy field..
but on one site it got really muddy, trying to clean it was nigh impossible and it started to come apart, it subsequently ended up in the bin ..
Much prefer our breathable groundsheet which we have had for years, when it gets dirty it can be jet washed .. it also folds up and fits in a locker.

gillr49

Free Member
Aug 8, 2007
Holbeach Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We just use a holey rubber door mat (about a pound from a discount store) and store it in the gas locker when we are travelling. We have 2 with us and have used them to get off soft ground many times and they worked well even in thick mud (they wash off in minutes under a tap0, I'm afraid our budget doesn't run to £50 for a door mat:roflmto:
We have also wrapped the step with part of a cheap green spikey mat (again £1) cut to size and secured with cable ties underneath
Wish I was rich!!!!

sugarplum

Free Member
Feb 4, 2008
Hallow, Worcs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 yrs
Morrocan mat every time... had one for years.... great for stopping sand walking in, good in mud... although nothing seems to stop deep stuff.. hoses down for moving on.... dries quickly... not slippy in frost..... I have found it unbeatable after having tried most other things. Doesn't curl up like the groundsheets, which I found a trip hazard.

Nice to sit out in with the table and chairs, although not this year in Spain or Portugal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back