Step Not Working Automatically

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Rob e Lee, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Rob e Lee

Rob e Lee Funster

Hi, just wondering if anyones got any ideas as to why my entrance step has ceased to retract when starting engine? I can make it work by operating switch near entrance.

Rob

2. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Rob, probably crud on part of the switching system -strip down the step and clean all the muck off and reasemble.:thumb:I know you say it still works on the other switch but they are renowned for getting mucked up
    terry

3. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Two possibilites Rob, blown fuse on the engine running signal or a manky "step open" switch, this is the simple pin switch mounted on the step itself. They get grotty 'cos they're relatively unprotected and then the earth path is missing for the auto retract.

D.

4. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Just check the limit switch on the step for a start.:thumb:

If not, a skilled man such as yourself should be able to suss the Elddis wiring diagram supplied with the van!:Smile:

5. Rob e Lee

Rob e Lee Funster

I could :RollEyes: but erring on the lazy side and also not having a wiring diagram - thought I'd ask you knowlegable lot - have found in the past using this invaluable forum can speed up in fault finding the problem.

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  6. tankintugger

tankintugger Funster

Hi Rob if its none of the above have you got a sargeant unit in the van? if so there is a fuse on the electronics board which can be replaced, I had to do mine, it messed about then totally failed after a while, if yours is in warrantee then obviously get it done via your dealer. if not call sergeants for a quote as you can ruin the board by over heating.

7. Bluemooner

Bluemooner Funster Life Member

Reading this with interest mine has gone back to the dealers for this problem and while i was showing them it worked and once home it stopped working:RollEyes:

8. jb0371

jb0371 Read Only Funster

I had the same fault, eventually fault was traced to the switch on the step itself, it just pulls out spray up with wd40 ect and actuate a few dozen times then push back in, well thats what Jon (jonandshell) did I was just watching drinking beer, well you dont get a dog and bark yourself:Laughing:

• Like Like x 2
  9. aba

aba