Stear Me Through Wales Please.

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by PORKSTER, Jun 30, 2015.

1. PORKSTER

PORKSTER Funster

Leaving Worthing area Friday night heading for Wales I have no knowledge of places to see or visit just fancy a change. I'm thinking of stopping at Bath late Friday night as a stopover and then into Wales Shell island looks appealing so I may head there.

So if you could share any ideas must see places routes to take places to avoid I would be most grateful Thanks Paul

2. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

So many places to visit in Wales, Shell Island should be especially good if this sunshine keeps up, take time to go into Barmouth just a few miles away and well worth a visit, then there is Harlech near by as well. a bit further on you have Conway Snowdonia and Anglesey all with lots to see and do.

3. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Loads of stuff to do especially in North Wales. Call in at the tourist information centres.
    Good roads, great scenery but it's always going to be busy on the coast but its never crazy.

4. Serendipitous

Serendipitous Funster

As coming in via M4

Newport transporter bridge.

St Fagans, Welsh museum of life.

A470 up to Brecon, stay at Aberbran and walk to the mountain centre.

Across the black mountain taking in the red kites. Some hilly and narrow bits.

Gower peninsular beaches etc again narrow bits.

Further west to Pembroke, the beaches of freshwater East & west, broad haven, barafundal.

North of the Cleddau more beaches, St David's.

And so on. Lots to see and do. All depends what you want.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Serendipitous

Serendipitous Funster

Also lots of other places like the Big Pit at Blaenavon, Bryn Bach park and walk up to the quarry where Clash of the Titans 2 was filmed then back down the old quarry railway track into Tredega

Sorry my spelling of Welsh towns may be a bit off.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  6. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

If you miss South Pembrokeshire, you miss Wales IMO.

• Like Like x 4
  7. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

as youre stopping over in Bath, as said the newport transporter bridge is a "must see and do" and whilst in newport pop up to the roman remains and museum in Caerleon. only 10 - 15 minutes apart but both worth seeing
    if youre interested in history, the big pit is very interesting. go underground and see a real coal mine, may well change what you might think of it all and like most historical sites and museums in Wales, free entry

8. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

If you like your music, don't miss Cob Records at Porthmadog. If they haven't got it, it wasn't recorded.

If you like cycling, try the Mawddach Trail from Barmouth in the direction of Dolgellau. Barmouth is a seaside resort on a human scale - lovely scenery, and worth a hike up the hill behind the town. So popular with West Midlanders I now call it Brum-sur-mer.

Porthmeirion, Harlech Castle, Lleyn Peninsula around Abersoch and Aberdaron. Have a look round Llangollen on the way back.

Pembrokeshire.

9. Gromett

Gromett Funster

For North Wales these are my must do stops. From these I wander randomly down country roads to find new places. It is my favourite destination;

Cricceth
    Llanbedrog
    Betws-y-coed
    Llanberis
    Caernarfon
    Black Rock Sands
    and of course Portmeirion

Whenever I am there I tend to visit the above but I love going down to the farthest western tip of North Wales or cut up from Porthmaddog and head north taking random side roads. It is a lovely country to explore.

This was from Llanbedrog. Not sure you can park there overnight anymore but what a great spot to spend a few hours. This was my first motorhome on my first trip back to Wales in 2005.
    nwales.jpg

10. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Keep going west you eventually get to the ferry port and Ireland is just a hop skip and a jump