Steamy windows (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
image.jpg
No it's not a Tina Turner thread, or smutty in any way, this is serious :whew:

Anyway, we've been parked up for a week in the sun and our rear windows are steamed up (between the double glazing).

They are not really sealed units as they have loose fitting plastic bungs in the top corners. I thought that they would clear after a few warm days, but they haven't.

Has anyone had this issue before (and found a cure?)

I'm concerned that they will eventually stain and never look clean.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Normally clear after a day or two with the bungs out, surprised you said lose fitting bungs they are normally very tight and often have to fit new ones after removing.
Try leaving them out during the day with some heat in the van and replacing them when the sun goes down, should clear after a few days.
It happens as acrylic is microscopic and allows water/vapor to enter thought the acrylic panes.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
You can sometimes speed up the clearing of the condensation by removing the 2x bungalow and use a hair dryer to blow warm air through 1x of the bung holes once all clear refit bungs. If they are a bit loose use a small pad of cling film by folding a few times and put this over the hole and push the bung back in the hole, this takes out the slack. Make sure you don't try making the pad too thick as it could work like a paper punch and shear off the cling film which could then drop in between the glazing.
Lance

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
"Steamy Windows". Now THERE`s a "blast from the past". (heavy breathing!!).

"now then young man, what are we up to 'ere then?" Err, Err, Err, Nothing officer!

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
One of our windows 'steams up' mainly because the two layers have separated along the bottom run, unfortunately only a new window will fix it!

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
One of our windows 'steams up' mainly because the two layers have separated along the bottom run, unfortunately only a new window will fix it!
Can't the two parts be resealed/ bonded. If sufficient gap could be achieved to get some adesive in, capillary action could do the rest till it hardened/ cured. There's a creeping crack cure that may be useful if you can get it in. If it's gone on the bottom rail, it may be possible to separate the whole unit then resealed/adhere.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We did try to reseal it with two different products, both were correct for the job but neither worked for any length of time.
Apparently there is a company in Leeds that will repair them but only if they haven't been 'messed' with first.
So we will have to invest in a new window! One day.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
So we will have to invest in a new window! One day.

Try, O-Leary Motorhomes, Plaxton Bridge (North of HULL) He gets windows for ALL the major manufacturers, and being "Surplus" are often well below retail. You just might strike lucky?

Ref: the O/P:-
Also. I do know that Some Glass double glazing manufacturers used to put a few grains of warm DRY silica gel into the cavity before extracting the Air and sealing??.

Pete

Last edited:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I have had this problem on one window. I removed the bungs and on a sunny day as they started to steam further, I used an 12v airbed pump on suck. This cleared the window fine. You could see the mist clearing to the nozzle. I know the cause of my problem, it is fine cracks appearing in the 24 year old windows.

I had tried the hairdryer trick before but this only caused the window plastic to melt and deform.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Jan.2014
Re the hairdryer trick, we have a small funnel in the kitchen, (at home) that, on the end of which, is a short length of flexible plastic tubing.
The tubing is narrow enough to go through the 'bung' hole.
That would allow you to use the hairdryer without it getting too close to the window.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Don't forget to replace the bungs after they clear. Mine was left without bungs after little hands pulled them out. Only noticed after half a dozen files crawled in and died. Believe me you will won't complain about the mist any more :LOL:

Dick

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thanks for the ideas everyone, I'll remove the bugs if it's sunny tomorrow, and try the Hoover/drier trick when I return to Blighty.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Dry air from a compressor with a water filer on would pass enough dry air to clear it with two holes one in and one out. just do not put pressure in it or you will blow them apart

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Dry air from a compressor with a water filer on would pass enough dry air to clear it with two holes one in and one out. just do not put pressure in it or you will blow them apart

If you are not careful you could in the immortal words of Michael Caine get yourself into a' I only told you to blow the bloody doors off' moment..

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
If your two window sections have "parted" you can (carefully) use a soldering iron to weld them back together. (nothing to lose !?!?)

OP
OP

Deleted User
Update.............

I took the bungs out for a cp of sunny days as suggested and the steamyness has all gone, bungs back in, and SWMBO's a happy bunny.

A result all round, i reckon (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back