Steadies/Jacks

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Ridgeway, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Are MH steadies really required ? I see some with and some without. Is the only purpose to steady the MH when you're in it or can they also be used to level the unit as well ?

Do you require 4 or only 2 ?

They look like an easy DIY fit, onto the chassis I assume

2. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Steadies are normally only found on RV's as far as I know and yes they can be/are used for leveling

3. Malcolm Bolt

Malcolm Bolt Funster Life Member

it's in the name

Corner steadies do just that. My van has them at the rear only. They simply reduce bounce in that area (fixed bed end :Rofl1: :Rofl1: :Rofl1:). They are just not up to the job of levelling the van unlike some powered jacks that are fitted for that purpose.

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I concur.. we had them on all our Euro vans, great for stopping it rocking when walking about and also help when it's blowing a hoolie .. but as said.. not for levelling

Had none on the RV .. frankly it didn't need them to stop it rocking.. it takes a lot of bedroom antics to rock an 8.5ton coach ...
    The type generally fitted to RVs are hydraulic, operated from the cab and are indeed for levelling ..

5. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

We have two wind-down steadies on the back. Hardly ever use them and we have a rear over-garage bed so sleep above the area where they would make some difference.

6. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

OK thanks guys, will go without for now and see how it is. Looks easy and not too expensive to add if we need to do so later this year.

Thanks

7. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

while we are an RV no jacks

While we are an RV, ours being a baby at 23'9" (see the red link below, allow to load) it never came with Jacks, they are made to fit the E350 chassis.. but was an expensive option.

On site we tend to use Fiamma levelling ramps as needed. We do have a double back wheel on the RV to spread the load.. I have fitted air suspension to the rear axle and can increase pressure is needed to stop any rock and roll.

But I do fit a bottle back under the rear tow bar to assist the stopping of any rock and then we have a scissor jack under the electric step to take out some of it as well (just only touches on so no pressure) We do have a couple special long jacks as supports on the slide out.. so it is rock solid when we move about in side and Ezzie jumps on and off the settee.

Everyone has there own ideas.. in the USA they do wind down steadies that are on a bar that bolts under the front bumper or across the rear and are used just like those on a caravan.. so you can go mega expensive to really cheap or DIY as we do. always think outside the box.

Bob

8. spannermanwigan

spannermanwigan Read Only Funster

Never felt the need to use the wind down ones caravanstyle
    already fitted on the rear of our Apache when we bought it.
    Use fiamma ramps for leveling.

regards
    Steve

9. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Never use the steadies on our van. Just an extra job to put them down and something else to remember when you move.

10. frogijock

frogijock Funster

Have steadies fitted to the Rapido. But they are in front of the rear wheels so it is down on your knees to reach them and they are awkward to get down so very rarely use them

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Somebody mentioned that it's something else to forget when moving one, must admit that's a very good point. i can see me trying to drive off with these things down:Rofl1:

Still have some Fiamma wedgey levelly things from the Tin Tent, will use these for leveling and pass on the steadies and see how we go.

12. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

It isn't that funny. I've done it. No damage to van but a fair job of ploughing the field.

13. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

We have the rear steadies, and have used them a couple of times, but the portable ones we have, are best used on the chassis near the step, which is where most of the wobbling originates.

If anyone wnated to fit a set of hydraulic levellers, some hearst' have them.

14. fraggle

fraggle

i also considered the same for my swift starspiritand swift sent me drawings as where top place them
    i also trawled ebay and found sombody selling axlejack type steadies upto 24"
    for £9.25 each plus postage as against (wind down corner) caravan type at £50 plus fitting:thumb::thumb:

15. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I did toy with the idea of fitting them to my boat, oddly enough everywhere I moor up for the night is dead flat.

Of course if I did sail off when they're down I'd catch all sorts of crap, weed mud, sharks etc.
    :Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Any van with a long rear overhang can benefit by steadies. We have had a few vans with lutons, when there are three kids messing about in the luton, the movement is amplified and us in the rear bed would be thrown all over the place or have cups of tea spilled. Winding those steadies down tight eliminated the worst of this and also stopped any movement made at our end, waking them in the luton:Smile:

17. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

I have them fitted as standard. I tried them once but prefer it when the van moves a bit as I walk about.:Laughing:

18. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Ridgeway.....I have them fitted as standard on the motorhome very quick to set up and quick to put away again...they are just pull click done...no winding.....do I use them Mmmm???? 95% of the time NO..........5% yes...I would mainly use them if it was very very windy.......but I would say if your suspension is a little on the weak side YES it could be an advantage stop the motorhome swaying from side to side as walk about inside

Now Ramps YES I use
    Now ramps I have these three stage around 100mm max high,....
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-Hat-L...essories_SM&hash=item20c2e9051c#ht_2095wt_826

if and when I buy again I will get these at 140mm high or these at 160mm ....that little extra does help:Eeek:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorhome...Accessories&hash=item4ab036bf76#ht_1967wt_811

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARAVAN-M..._Accessories&hash=item1c2535240e#ht_762wt_811

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  19. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Simples really leveling ramps for leveling - Corner steadies for steadying :thumb:

20. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

We had them on the last van, and I got away without putting them down for 2 years, :Wink: before Jane realised other people were using theirs, and found we had them. :Rofl1:

Since then I have to put them down all the time................................Unless we free camp and need a quick getter way. :Rofl1: Bob.