Staying for more than a few days somewhere ...?

Discussion in 'Full Timers' started by Jac Sprat, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Hi we are interested in other motorhomers who are pretty much full timing with maybe the odd break in the UK to recoup .
    This is what we are doing and have been since March and plan indefinitely to continue doing.
    We move every couple of days from one interesting place to another ( a mix of sites and aires and free places to keep the costs down )
    But sometimes we feel we'd like to stay somewhere for a longer time ,- say, a month. To rest and to get to know the area more than as a fleeting tourist.
    Has anyone done this ?
    And do you use campsites or the same aire or a wild spot ? ( Campsites would be too expensive long term for us living off our pension.)
    But can you stay wild camping in the same place for a length of time? What about the fluids? Aren't you eventually obliged to leave after a few days?
    Has anyone found a way of staying longer somewhere? Any specific suggestions where?

2. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Any thoughts?
    Posting again.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. chaser

chaser Funster

Don't think you would have a problem on some Aires out of season for maybe a week then just move to the next one.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

I wonder if anybody has found a "Bolt hole" in the UK to stay for a couple of months.....or more? On a farm perhaps.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

We were thinking more in Europe.

6. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Back in Sarfend for a while, then back to RSA.
    I don't see a problem doing it off season at selected Aires. I've seen many Aires where I reckon it would be OK especially if you made a point of supporting the local small shops.
    Maybe talk to Messr Le Maire.
    In some parts of the country there are many Aires so why not stay in the same area but rotate which one you use.
    A case of suck it and see.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

I read about RV parks in the states where the longer you stay the cheaper the rates get. I assume this is how it works in Benidorm etc?
    There don't don't seem to be more like this in other countries from what I understand?

8. chaser

chaser Funster

Ask the question the other way, has anyone ever been moved off an aire? I'm sure if you are on one that charges and you are the only one on there or there is plenty room they are not going to chuck you off.
    Probably even free ones as wanderer says if you are buying your stuff in the town .
    We have been on Aires with some on there that look as if they have been there ages.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Photo4x4

Photo4x4 Funster

Take a look at this book: Campervan of Doom

It is fun and may answer a lot of your questions.

KH

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Thanks
    That was one of the first I read when we decided to do this! A fun read.
    I don't remember long term suggestions in there but will have another look.

11. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

We hope to have another go at fulltiming when I finally retire in about a couple of years time so this is an interesting question. We have stayed on many French aires and quite a few German stellplatz, only staying a few days maximum though.

As has been mentioned I can't see you being turfed off a French aire, especially if its not crowded and you make a point of spending your pension in local shops etc.

In Germany they seem to want to encourage you to stay longer as the pay machines we have used have offered a discount for longer stays, might be worth looking into this.

Let us know what you find out. Also, would be worth asking your question on motorhome365.com.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  12. Zepp

Zepp Funster

Portugal is good for long stays and there is so many aires, know one cares how long you stay and they are also very cheap.

3 weeks to go till we finish work can't wait to get back on the road again if we find any good ones will let you know

Paul

• Like Like x 2
  13. Zepp

Zepp Funster

Forgot to say the Mosel is a good place to spend a month and there are also plenty of good cheap aires

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

I was wondering why this got so few answers as I would've thought many fulltimers would feel like this from time to time. Then I wondered if people are keeping quiet about favourite places. Or maybe there aren't too many fulltimers on here?

15. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i knew a french man john and his mrs that stayed on the old airre at roscoff for about 5 years . she worked in morlaix hospital he helped on some of the fishing boats as and when .
    i stayed on the airre for two months while my mrs came back to the uk. we had a dog with us and it was back before pets passport scheme . mind we knew john before that as we used to use plymouth roscoff often . it was up by the chapel on the hill. its gone now the airre
    but many you can stay as long as you like there is no time limmits , some there are .
    he had his mail delivered there by the postman. in the end any i had sent poste restante the post man brought to me as he was coming anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I think there might be a problem with that. I knew a stable owner who let someone stay in their motorhome. After a couple of weeks they had someone from the council on their doorstep. A neighbour had called them & motorhomers had to leave.
    Don't think there'd be a problem like this in France. It' might be possible to offer house sitting in exchange for a pitch and electricity. Sometimes board is offered in exchange for work--- gardening, painting, help on a small holding etc...

PS I know a couple of free Aires where I don't think there'd be any problem staying. PM me anyone who wants details. Dordogne.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

I thought your post was very good until you mentioned work!!!!

Wash your mouth out! :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. vwalan

vwalan Funster

there are hundreds of folk living unofficially on farms etc in builders yards . etc .
    the bigger the farm estate the more are doing it . but yes you may get moved on .
    i have friends that have lived in a disused farm yard for 20 yrs .
    not round here but up country.

19. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Thank you
    Does anyone know of any in Greece or Italy?