Staying at Aires in france

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Paulfy4, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Paulfy4

Paulfy4 Funster

evenng all

Is it ok/allowed to stay at an aire in France?? We have travelled many times to the south west were we had a mobile home for 5 years and have loved stopping to chill for a baguette and a stretch of the legs,but actually staying overnight ? Is it allowed/frowned upon what's the shower/toilet disposal procedure? Sorry for all the questions but we are extreme newbies

Regards and thanks paul

2. chaser

chaser Funster

That's what they are for(y)

• Like Like x 1
  3. spitfire

spitfire Funster

Not all but pretty much ! Just check in the book to see if overnight is allowed .

4. JJ

JJ Funster

Do you mean the "aires" you see by the side of the road, rather like big laybys or do you mean the motorhome "aires" which are just for campervans and often have water and emptying facilities and sometimes a price to pay?

JJ :cool:

5. Paulfy4

Paulfy4 Funster

Wow motor home Aires please excuse my novice approach,but I am a complete newbie looking at buying my first MH and am after any advise I can collect

Regards and thankyou paul

6. Lot lover

Lot lover Funster

there are several threads on this subject. Th facilities vary enormously, some are just hard standing to park some are almost sites.

As a sweeping generalisation France wants motorhomers in their towns.

Perhaps you could consider take a look at campercontact or buying (some of the) aires of france from vicarious books for more info.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

aire just means area many towns and villages set aside an area for motorhomes called aire de camping car they range from free to around 20 euros a night most have services some even have electric you can find these either in the book all the aires or online using camping car info which is an app there are other apps
    on all motorways and major roads you will find aire de repose these are realy glorified laybys but theres no restrictions on overnights often see lorries in them you will also find aire de service this is the equivelent to or motorway services and again you can overnight but can be a magnet to lowlifes especially near major cities

• Like Like x 1
  8. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

It's what they are for. We never use anything else in France.

As has already been posted some are literally just car parks others are campsites in all but name.

Some are huge, taking 200 or 300 vans, some are small pieces of land in tiny villages and more often than not you will be on your own. Some will have no facilities at all, most have water and waste, some have electric.

For us it's the best way to camp. You can keep your "proper" sites.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Xabia

Xabia Funster

When you mention stopping and having a baguette etc I gather that you are talking about the motorway Aires which are fine to stop at during the day but I certainly wouldn't stay overnight on one, it is just too risky from a security point of view.

Then there are motorway service stations, some people will say that it is risky to stop,on them but I have been doing precisely that for many years without a problem. I always part in the car area, as near as possible to the shop facilities. I avoid the lorry parking areas as you are sandwiched between large commercial vehicles, it is noisy if a fridge is parked near and any thief attacking your vehicle can use the lorries as cover.

Finally we have the Aires de Campong Cars which are situated in many towns and villages, specifically constructed for Motorhomes to stay overnight. They will usually have facilities for water , waste and toilet disposal, and sometimes electricity. Some free, most charging a few euros per night. You don't need to have security worries there.

I have a Strikeback alarm with additional led's on the basis that this will,put off a potential,thief who will look for an easier target.

Mike

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I think there is still a bit of confusion. :) If you drive down a French motorway you will see signs which have the word aire in them. These are generally what we would call motorway service areas though some are just rest/picnic areas.

Then there are the aires folk talk about here a lot, which are dedicated areas set aside, often in towns or the edge of villages, which are specifically designed for motorhomes. To make things difficult the signs to these places don't use the name aire! All you will see is a symbol of a MH dumping waste.

As a general rule avoid the motorway stops overnight - noisy and you might get broken into. The villages aires are to be sought out and cherished!

• Like Like x 3
  11. chaser

chaser Funster

We went for three weeks earlier this year and used nothing else , going again for September with the same plan, and don't know if this is right or not , but was told by someone who does a lot of traveling in France, that it is a law that every village finds somewhere for mhs to park and if they havnt got an aire it is quite legal to park for the night against the Marie .

• Like Like x 1
  12. Paulfy4

Paulfy4 Funster

I can't thankyou enough for all the advise you are all posting,and apologies again for sounding so naive,just gathering as much info as possible to help us decide what to buy,only joined today but I am so so enjoying the site,makes a change from trawling through Facebook etc

Thanks again to everyone
    Regards paul

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

I agree with @Xabia we stop during the day on motorway aires for respite but wouldn't sleep on one .
    The aires in towns and villages all over France are great. They do vary. We have the vicarious book and have just come back from 2 weeks in Brittany and only stayed one night on a campsite and 13 nights on aires. Some are free some cost 5 Eros and the most expensive are usually near resorts that are popular. Honfleur was 12€ but worth being near the medieval town.
    The first year we went I booked campsites the second year did a few aire s and this year much more confidently we did all aires bar one.

May be different with children as you will need more facilities and safe playing ares etc.

14. 2spritelyislanders

2spritelyislanders Funster

:smiley: We went to France for 7weeks in April/May and used Aires the whole time we were there. It was the first time we had been there on our own and it was absolutely wonderful, motorhoming heaven in fact. We got all the info we needed and more from MHF plus lots of encouragement and support. We enjoyed it so much we're off again on 6th Sept for a month.

Ask as many questions as you need and use the resources on Fun and you'll have a great time, we did :smiley:

Your joining fee will be the best money you've spent in a long time :smiley:

• Like Like x 3
  15. Paulfy4

Paulfy4 Funster

I love this forum thank you all x

• Like Like x 2
  16. chaser

chaser Funster

Coincidence (y) we are going 6 sept coming back 6 October, nothing planned other than the tunnel:)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Badknee

Badknee Funster

When your on your travels you will see the sign below which is usually an Aire where you can dump grey water and more than likely black as well and fill your fresh water tank perhaps for a couple of euros.

image.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. 2spritelyislanders

2spritelyislanders Funster

:smiley: Well what a coincidence :smiley: 06.50 tunnel, on the 6th after overnighting on Canterbury Aire, then very flexible plans as we make our way down to Twin Lakes :smiley: :smiley:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

That sounds like a good plan and twin lakes sounds like it will be a good one!

20. chaser

chaser Funster

We are traveling down in the morning and catching the 15, 30 approx stay at gravelines at night , might even stay there a couple of days, then hopefully to the east of Paris and straight down towards Spain , we shall be coming back up by twin lakes as we have friends in that area and always get that way.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1