status ariel replacement

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jack, Jun 22, 2010.

1. jack

jack Read Only Funster

I am considering changing my bog standard status ariel for one that actually works,
    and is digital friendly,is :BigGrin:it straight forward and which one do folks advise..?

2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

3. jack

jack Read Only Funster

Thanks Peter, maybe I am trying to pick up digital signals where there are none , we do tend to aim for wilderness places,perhaps I should hang fire until it becomes
    more widespread.

4. pieterv

pieterv Read Only Funster

I vaguelly remember reading somewhere that, when the digital switch over is completed, the signal strength will be turned up.

That might make the Status arials more useable.

Anyone know anything more about this?

5. Pugboxter

Pugboxter

The signal strength from the main transmitters has indeed been increased, not sure about the relay ones though. The trouble with digital is that you either have a strong enough signal to receive a picture or don't, unlike analog where you could still get a picture even when the signal is weak.

I've no experience of the round status aerial on digital, but it was really poor on analog.

This post may be of interest http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/tv-satellite/24619-tv-aerial.html#post296416

6. andyman

andyman Read Only Funster

I have a Status flying saucer and almost useless. I also have an Image 630 which is similar to the Status 530 except that it is bracket mounted, never failed me yet.
    Go for a status 530 and I dont think you will be disapointed.

Andy

7. Terry

Terry Funster

hi I have the status 530/5- straight forward to fit -drill hole about 30 mm then 3 or 4 screws all sealed with sikaflex type sealant :thumb:

the 530/5 is the short pole one - into a overhead cupboard and the 530/10 is the long pole version that fits into a wardrobe :thumb:
    terry

8. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Not had any probs with digital on the status directionals...sometimes you can be in a dodgy area which will give you bad or no reception, and for that we have the portable sat dish which suckers onto the roof.

9. 747

747 Read Only Funster

My van came with the flying saucer attached and the reception from it has gone from rubbish to passable in a short time. I believe it will be a good aerial in 18 months time when everywhere is digital. I have a directional aerial, bought from Screwfix as a back up at the moment.

My Status was decapitated by a low branch near Newbury recently. I had to cut the coax to get it down. At home, I cut it open, soldered a new cable on and glued it back together. It still worked when leaning over at a crazy angle which was surprising.

There is something to be said for a permanent aerial fitted to a van. No setting up poles and searching for signals on site. It is a pity there are so many tree branches about though.:Sad:

10. jack

jack Read Only Funster

Thanks guys,I will wait for digital to take over the world.:thumb:

11. Pugboxter

Pugboxter

No need to wait, just go to somewhere that is already digital and see if you can get a decent picture :Smile: