Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
The radio reception is my Dethleffs is quite frankly abysmal on the move. Loses signal and never stays on channel I know the aerial is probably poor or non existent!

My status aerial has a vhf output. Can I use this to provide an aerial source for the cab radio? I see no reason why not but any views.

Thanks

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The radio reception is my Dethleffs is quite frankly abysmal on the move. Loses signal and never stays on channel I know the aerial is probably poor or non existent!

My status aerial has a vhf output. Can I use this to provide an aerial source for the cab radio? I see no reason why not but any views.

Thanks

You can do no harm by trying it. I'm never sure whether they're designed for VHF radio or VHF TV - either way it's worth a try. Where is the existing radio aerial?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Our radio was performing very badly, I traced it to the aerial plug loose in the radio.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
talaris

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
No idea where the aerial is but I suspect it the cheapest rubbish that they could source. That is of course if there is one at all as the lead seems to nowhere really.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Status ariel. :ROFLMAO:

Hang a piece of wire out the window, it will do better. :Cool:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No idea where the aerial is but I suspect it the cheapest rubbish that they could source. That is of course[HI] if there is one at all as the lead seems to nowhere[/HI] really.

you may be right.
Fiat stuck the aerial in one of the door mirrors at one point but as you have an A class it doesnt have the original mirrors..

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I connected the cab radio to the Status aerial. As long as the amplifier is switched on reception is very much improved.

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
I thought the radio was poor on my Romahome as sometimes I had to re-tune as it lost the signal - but it was brilliant compared to the one on my new Ducato based Swift which comes and goes constantly. The aerial appears to be just in front of the driver's side door pillar, it looks similar to the ones on the cars - but of course they are stuck on the roof at the back of the car. I suspect the van itself blocks the signal most of the time.

Is it feasible to connect the radio to the TV aerial instead, but still keep that connected for the TV? That's on the roof so may pick up a better signal. Or would getting the radio one moved up higher be better?

Or is it just the cheap Fiat radio? I wouldn't have though it could be any worse than the cheap Citroen one in the Romahome! (Which was actually quite good most of the time).

Mmm, must change the avatar and motorhome details!

Last edited:
OP
OP
talaris

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
you may be right.
Fiat stuck the aerial in one of the door mirrors at one point but as you have an A class it doesnt have the original mirrors..

Def not in the mirror. It may be in the pillar. I have just bought a Calearo window aerial so will try that first.

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
The Boxer aerial well cut off bit of cable was in the pillar. I installed an aerial in the little qtr panel down by the bonnet, to be honest for the effort is its rubbish

Ive tried all the connections I can only assume its the overhang that gives me the problem, my car however with a silly stick on Pure aerial is brilliant I wonder if its worth trying

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My MH (A class) has an aerial on the roof which may have been an extra, it never worked well with the Sony radio, but that died recently and was replaced with a Lidl special with bluetooth, usb input, SD card slot, all for less than £50 and works fine with the same aerial.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I changed the original Blaupunkt radio in our 2009 Peugeot Boxer, it made quite a difference to the radio signal particularly on MW and LW.

However I now just connect my iPhone via the auxiliary in jack on the new radio. Crystal clear reception via the fee app "TuneIn Radio" and no need to retune any more....:thumb:

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
i have connected the cab radio to the status amplifier box by means of a 5 meter Ariel lead and it has made a vast improvement to the signal whilst driving , once parked up its just as good and we can now listen to the radio::bigsmile:

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp

Thanks

Your best option is to fit a proper external aerial to the windscreen pillar, as was fitted on my previous Rapido, my Dethleffs also has a black one fitted in the same place...... radio reception is fine:Cool:

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
Your best option is to fit a proper external aerial to the windscreen pillar, as was fitted on my previous Rapido, my Dethleffs also has a black one fitted in the same place...... radio reception is fine:Cool:

Yes its interesting that my friend has a fixed wip on the pillar and an overhang with cab bunk his works fine I cannot seem to find the details of the manufactuer though

Any ideas

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back