Status Aerial --- whats inside ? (1 Viewer)

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2011 after tugging.
Well not a lot actually, for the cost !

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 299

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
when i opened mine up there were 2 chinamen pulling and pushing things,your's must have escaped.:roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2011 after tugging.
The biggest laugh of all, how many of us bought them and when on site just see them all, the maker must be laughing their socks off.

"Status" as a brand will not come my way again despite me having the later Triangular one fitted, although not bought by me.

Peteac

Free Member
Sep 9, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Folded dipoles

It's a load of folded dipoles connected together very badly, a coat hanger would work better1

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
You never could tell a book by its cover.

Typical of modern times...

Image, marketing and "brand" over content every time.

JJ :Cool:

iPad, iPhone, iPod, iPad, iPhone, iPod, iPad, iPhone, iPod, iPad, iPhone, iPod, iPad, iPhone, iPod......... :ROFLMAO:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I once went down the route of limbo dancing my van through some trees and the status aerial needed replacing.
Looked at the price and thought bu66er me.
Took it to pieces rejoined the workings then siliconed the two flying saucers together. Tried getting a picture and it was bl00dy useless so bought one.
Tried getting a picture and it was just as bad.
Moved the van to an area where you cuold actually get a reception and both worked perfectly.

Reminds me that I should put one up for sale !

Swifty_Morgan

Free Member
Mar 11, 2012
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Eh?
Exp
several years
Well not a lot actually, for the cost !

Any aerial is a bit tricky to understand.
What you have there is a bit of an 'electronic fiddle'; four folded dipoles. Whether they are in parallel or any other form requires a bit of a hard look at the PC board.
The unit price is another matter. . . .

Peteac

Free Member
Sep 9, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Performance

@burstner - A metal coat hanger!

I just measured the gain performance of this aerial. Its gain is -3dBd. A conventional, el cheapo aerial, has a gain of 10-12dBd, with some bigger ones having the performance of 17dBd. To see some aerial performance tests, see my website: Link Removed. I have posted a review of the Status aerial.

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
My Status aerial's pointy bit looked for all the world like the nozzle of a silicone sealant tube - or maybe that was some fitter's joke?

Anyway, the aerial itself was a joke too - it never worked.

Neither did a portable digital aerial on a pole with a cable inlet through the side of the van.

It's only since we got a satellite dish this year that we've been able to watch any telly in our van.

And don't whatever you do buy a Meos TV set - absobloodylutely useless.

Peteac

Free Member
Sep 9, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
@Johns_Cross_Caravans-as my review says, they all work well in a strong signal area. The Avtex aerial is based on a single dipole design and can work well, in fact better than the status, as the status uses numerous dipoles connected together without phase balancing.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
@burstner - A metal coat hanger!

Sorry my attempt at a joke...........

Seriously my Status 315 works fine, don't understand all the criticism - apart from the choice of channels on freeview.

reader

Free Member
Apr 27, 2011
IO83rk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
There are a few radio amateurs on here and most of them will agree a bit of wire the right length will perform well.

Peteac

Free Member
Sep 9, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
@reader - like me!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You never could tell a book by its cover.

Typical of modern times...

Image, marketing and "brand" over content every time.

JJ :Cool:

[HI]iPad, iPhone, iPod, iPad, iPhone, iPod, iPad, iPhone, iPod, iPad, iPhone, iPod, iPad, iPhone, iPod........[/HI]. :ROFLMAO:

At least a Status aerial works often enough to give some value for money though :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yesterday we tried our flying saucer type aerial it was already fitted to our Autocruise Accent) and weren't expecting much but it worked brilliantly!:Eeek:

Pigwam

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Chester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
There are a few radio amateurs on here and most of them will agree a bit of wire the right length will perform well.

I agree, the problem here is that unless you're a radio ham or have an understanding of how aerials work, you don't know what's good and what's bad and for most people looking at the gain will baffle them.

so for most, they buy an aerial and if its not very good then they assume its the area.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Ours works well in most places. I suppose there are always going to be some areas where reception is poor. Was very surprised to find that we could get all our UK channels on our 'flying saucer' even in Calais!

Wyn

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Can`t beat getting out in the cold, horizontal ,freezing rain and erecting a aerial on a pole fixed on the ladder--comming back inside, looking like a hero for one`s better half who can now tune into something to forget.

Then she will cook you a lunch--you hero you :thumb:

Twiddling a knob in a cupboard is for whimps.:winky:

Swifty_Morgan

Free Member
Mar 11, 2012
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Eh?
Exp
several years
Like was said; "a bit of metal the right length will work".
But this brings with it the problem of location. It's no good having a bit of twisted metal and expecting good reception from a transmitter many miles away.
You gotta be in the "Service area" of the transmitter.

Details of the service area may be found on the web. It might be a good idea to check which transmitters are near to your chosen sight.

For what it's worth, my silly bit of metal (with working (?) amplifier) is about as much use as a baked potato. I've chucked the TV away and have my Amateur Radio stuff installed. That and a good book.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Baked potato with lashings of butter, chees and coleslaw ... sorry, it DOES have a use!:RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back