Static IP address, use abroad? (1 Viewer)

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Hi I'm looking to change my Internet Provider as I switch to Fibre. One of the IPs offer a static IP address for a one off payment of a fiver.

Question, would I be able to use that IP address when abroad to fool sites like IPlayer into thinking I am in the UK? My router at home will be switched off when I do this.

Dick

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
As I understand it no you won't.

The IP address whether static or dynamic is assigned to your router not to you personally.

You will still need to use a VPN or whatever else you're doing to get around the restriction at the moment.

If you knew how to do it you could possibly connect back to a computer at home and then connect to the iPlayer from there. That would mean leaving both the router and a computer for you to connect to switched on. That's basically what happens when you use a VPN anyway so unless you're an IT nerd who likes the idea of a challenge it's probably not worth faffing around with.

Nov 9, 2016
France or Spain!
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo 687t
Exp
Since 2015
We've signed up with anonine.com for a year at just over $3 a month. We firstly signed up for one month on the recommendation of a Swedish motorhomer we met in Spain, and were instantly able to access iplayer etc and also the English version of Eurosport (which we watch quite a lot of). We just download the app on our phone/tablet and log in when we want to use the VPN.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
A static IP will give you the ability to log into your own home network, useful if you have a NAS or network accessible TV recorder. You would need to create a VPN service on your home router and if you used this connection you would indeed mask your geographic location. If you do not have a home server or network you want to access over the internet then a static IP brings nothing to your day. In which case as has been said either enable a free VPN service or buy into one to use their country specific servers.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I just go directly to tvcatchup and fill my boots, it's free

Dec 16, 2015
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years
If you are prepared to leave your router on at home and if necessary a computer or other device such as a raspberry pi then another advantage of accessing the internet via a home vpn connection is security especially when using wifi hotspots in either the U.K. or abroad.

Alternatively if VPN is not an option, I have found that when using a 3G connection from three 'feel at home' some services think you are uk based.

I used this a couple of years ago to get English commentary from Eurosport on the Tour de France whilst in France.

I found that If I started the Eurosport App using the campsite wifi the commentary would only come out in French. But if I instead turned off wifi and used 3G when starting up the app then commentary would be in English ok. Interesting if I then switched wifi back on again to save 3G data without closing the App the commentary would stay in English:)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have been with idNet for many years, originally ADSL now FTTC. They will only supply a static IP address so there is no extra charge for it. Very good supplier with excellent help desk if needed.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
I have been with idNet for many years, originally ADSL now FTTC. They will only supply a static IP address so there is no extra charge for it. Very good supplier with excellent help desk if needed.
I fully agree about idNet, it's an excellent supplier. The helpdesk is outstanding. If you ring, a person answers the phone, listens to your problem without a script to follow, then fixes it, often there and then. Treated like a knowledgeable adult, no less!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back