States of Alderney camp site (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Green light for caravans and motorhomes

Motorhomes and caravans are being given permission to use Saye campsite in Alderney this summer - despite a hostile reaction from islanders.

Nearly 400 signed a petition aganst the plan, but the Building Development and Control Committee have given the OK with some conditions attached. Motorhomes and caravans will have to use the area next to the bank near the entrance, as far away as possible from tents.

The committee have also deferred plans for creation of hard-standing and electrical points for a year when there will be a review.

Saye campsite has only ever allowed tents in the past, and the decision by the GSC followed the recruitment of a new campsite manager in April, who himself brought in a motorhome.

Link Removed

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
No Brainer !

Why go to Alderney ( Where the residents obviously have their thumbs up their bums and their brains in neutral !:Doh:) when France is next door ! :Cool::Cool::Cool:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
How the heck do you get there? LOL

There's apparently a ferry from Guernsey, but to get to Guernsey you can't be longer than 6.5m and the cost is over £400 for 2 of you.

I do believe it's why I have never been to the CI at all; it's far too expensive .....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
I lived in Jersey for ten years and love the Channel Islands. Alderney is a tiny Island, one and a half miles wide by three and a half miles long. Thought I would enquire about taking the van over from England. This is the prompt response I received from the camp site manager.

Lorraine,

I am intending to put some information on the website about motorhomes/caravans but in the meantime here are some indication of costs.

I'll start with the shipping costs which are by far and away the major costs you would would have to bear. Channel Seaways would want £350 for a return from Poole. This is for a campervan under 5m in length. This is for an unaccompanied vehicle. I.e. you would be expected to make their own way to Alderney separately. You could travel with the campervan as Channel Seaways allow up to 12 passengers per crossing. If so, the costs would be £130 return per adult. Dogs are welcome. I believe the cost for them is £22 per return.

The permit fee from the States for a campervan is £250. However, this is refunded in full on departure within 28 days less a £25 administration fee. I've attached the guidance note from the States of Alderney.

There is no specific pitch fee for a campervan on the campsite so that fees would simply be the per person charges of £5 per night per adult. Electric hook-ups are being installed but I'm afraid I have no clear date as to when they will be available. It is possible that they may not be available by September but in which case we can rig up a mains connection to the office block if you require it.

There is much more advice and guidance I could give on this subject particularly having imported a very large campervan myself for this summer. However, considering the high costs involved, I would suggest you let me know if you are still interested knowing the costs, I can then advise back with some guidance on the whole process.

Even if I could shrink the van to under five metres, the costs are high. Oh well, perhaps next year...

Lorraine x

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back