PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Ive just returned from a long weekend away in Lincoln and had a poor run up due to a number of accidents, generally caused by people driving too close and too fast and bang, they're in an accident. However the route back was a clear and enjoyable run, except for one thing, and that's the state of our roads. They were shockingly bad in some areas and down right disgraceful in others:cry:

Even where the road was newly laid there were large holes that shook the dickens out of the steering and suspension. I'd dodge them wherever I could, but some were across the width of a lane and impact was inevitable. How is it that we can lay such sub standard quality roads and maintain the ones we have. Is it down to the cheapest bidder and therefore substandard tarmac is laid to an ineffective depth, I just don't know :Doh:

I have heard the excuses from the powers that be, that it's the cold weather to blame, as moisture gets under the tarmac, freezes and lifts the road blah blah blah and I have no doubt that this is most probably the likely cause, but I've been across the coldest parts of Europe and the world and the roads there never suffer from the ice and snow. It was -21 in Canada, they had diggers scrapping the snow from the roads and large tipper trucks taking it away, and still the roads are in good order :thumb:

One things for sure and that they aren't going to get any better, not in a long time. It's a shame the Government makes somewhere in the region of £42 Billion a year from the motorist, but just doesn't plough anywhere near as much back into the roads and motorways :Angry:

Safe, but bumpy motorhoming*:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
a few years ago i worked regularly near Varna in Bulgaria and i always too the pee out of the condition of their roads..

not any more... they have had huge subsidies to upgrade their routes and infastructure wheras we have gone down hill steeply:Sad:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
estimated cost for REPAIRING Britain's roads after this winter alone.....£1bn.

average cost to repair one pothole....£135

if the road fund licence fee was spent on roads (as the name implies) instead of propping up other ailing services (NHS etc) then the roads would be in far better condition.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Its the same with PUBS. Look at the tax on alcohol and then the state of the pubs! The Government spend nothing on them.:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back