starting out

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by casls650, Jan 5, 2010.

1. casls650

casls650 Read Only Funster

Hello happy new year to you all

In a months time I will be collecting my newly converted Ford Freda/Bongo. This is my first camper van, and is an upgrade to camping. I am now at the age where I would like to roll on and roll off a site, rather than, unload carry, find site, and pitch in the muddy rain.

I have a couple of questions that I hope you guys will be able to share your knowledge with me

1) What are the top tips that you wish someone had shared when you first began motor homing

2) Being female I love shopping, and I am itching to start making Freda homely. What Gadget/Thing is a must.

hanx

Cas

2. BionicPixie

BionicPixie Read Only Funster

Welcome.. my first trip as a solo female was a good way to meet people; another Funster, Chatterdog, drove to rescue me as I had forgotten the tin opener! so my advice for a must have gadget is a good bright coloured tin opener! and internet access so you can cry for help in the middle of the night when the shops are shut! Thanks Chatterdog! xx
    The Funsters are all great and a superb source of information ask them before you buy... someone may well have tested it and have an opinion they are willing to share.
    The latest accessory I have obtained via Funsters is a new OH... so not as many solo female trips this year.
    Enjoy your motorhome xx

most useful advice i was given ... double check your cupboard doors are shut!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  3. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Hi casls650:welcome: To MH FUN

By far most important purchase is a cork screw, cant travel without one.

You are bound to get more suggestions

Hope all goes well.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

4. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

Basically don't rush out and buy for buyings sake, spend it on diesel. You being an ex camper probably could give us tips on how to get by with a minimum of gear however so I,m sorry if this appears to sound like teaching a granny how to suck eggs.

I'm sure you'll have a great time with you're new van anyway

Regards,and [​IMG] to the fun.

5. JaG

JaG Funster

Someone near by

Welcome
    Without doubt - Internet access. You will never be alone no matter where you are. There will always be Funster within a few miles of you day and night and would come to your aid for sure.
    Graham & Jean

6. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Ah, as ringleader I've come over all Cupid:smalllove::smalllove:

7. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

I know we shouldn't do spelling, but shouldn't that be 'st' rather

than 'c'? :RollEyes:

8. Caztur

Caztur Funster

1. Remember to get the shopping en route to save going off site again after you've set up, & fill the water tank first before you pitch.
    2. Most used gadget in my campervan (other than the DVD player) is the microwave, but if you haven't got room in the Frieda then a mini oven does TV dinners/bake tatties/warm up pies as well - just takes a bit longer.

And don't forget the tin opener, bottle opener, corkscrew. :BigGrin:

9. allie sommerville

allie sommerville Read Only Funster

Hi Cas and welcome:Smile:
    Well I have a chapter of TOP TEN TIPS in my book, but the best thing is an outdoor table and chairs so all the crumbs don't get on the 'van floor - especially useful if travelling in France and eating all those lovely croissats and baguettes :Wink:

10. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Stome ??? Don't put your foot in it:BigGrin:

11. casls650

Hello All

cheers for all responses. Cork screw, can opener and Internet access seem to be the key thing. I do like the idea of a microwave, but i think my first gadget will be a foam mattress. I do like lists, so I have purchased the motorhome checklist, which will give me some interesting reading and I will probably refer to when I go and collect the vehicle. Another help, is there a website I can check out the price of items (eg gas bottle, glass tops, seat belts). We have verbally agreed a spec and now we are getting into the detail of what is and is not included. I have been given prices for "extras" and whilst I think the chap I am dealing with is fair and honest, being naieve to both buying a vehicle and having a conversion I would like to check out the prices before I get them to do the "extras"

:thumb:

Cas x

12. casls650

The latest accessory I have obtained via Funsters is a new OH... so not as many solo female trips this year.
    Enjoy your motorhome xx

most useful advice i was given ... double check your cupboard doors are shut![/QUOTE]

Sounds like you have been having fun. Cupboard doors is one that has been mentioned to me before, so obviously a must.
    Cas x:BigGrin:

13. JaG

JaG Funster

14. froghopper

froghopper Read Only Funster

welcome

hi and a very big welcome, as i said before, you join, you put a note on and you get a reply,, not only are you now a funster, but totaly mad, and have no known cure, it just gets worse, at this very moment you are trying to think what to write back,, :Rofl1::Rofl1: what did i want to know,, have been motorhoming over 20 years, still dont know much,, but if we all no 1 thing, at least we can help others, a toy,, ?? well i sugest a couple of funster stickers, then we will know you when we park next to you, find them on the right of screen, then you need a good view,,, every time you go out you will find one,, take a picky,, and share it,,, travel safe, travel well,, :thumb:
    best wishes froghopper:Eeek::Eeek:

15. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hi Cas, the one thing I would not be without is my skillet with that I can cook most things from a joint of lamb to a toasty sandwich, and all it takes is the space of a saucepan. welcome to a wonderful way of life. Carol.:Smile:

16. robinmclaren

robinmclaren Read Only Funster

good luck

any upholstery requirments or a custom new matress go to zapher( not sure if that is spelt correctly ) at z g upholstery in radford , coventry , he did repairs on our hi-ace and we could not tell where the repair was even though we knew it was damaged when we took it in , he also matched fabric and made us a matress for top roof bed , prices were superb and quality excellent
    i am sure you know jacksons at old arley for any technical problems or camper parts , pedleys at ash green good for accessories and servicing as well ( ask for steve), best of look and enjoy it , remember lots of places now you can stay for free with better views than campsites

robin

17. casls650

Robin

thanks, for all these details, I am originally from Reading, and only been in Coventry for 4 years, so I dont know there area, so these details are great. I did not understand the last line. Where will I find details of these free places to stay?

cheers
    Carole

18. robinmclaren

robinmclaren Read Only Funster

you will pick up a lot from the peple on this site but my favorites are in cornwall where you can stay for free on st michaels mount road with a view over the beach and the mount , £8/24 hours in praa car park right on 1 mile of golden beach, tintagel castle car park pennies for overnight quite a few of the n.trust car parks , but there are loads just keep a eye on these pages

good luck and enjoy:thumb:

19. paulharrison

paulharrison Read Only Funster

Hi Cas welcome to fun, it can help if you want to share a bottle knock a campers door and ask for a corkscrew Paul:Rofl1:

20. Venita

Venita Read Only Funster

Hi and welcome. My advice to you would be not to go mad and buy lots of things to put in your van because, trust me, you will take most of them out again! Use it a few times and you will realise what you need.

Have fun,

Venita