Starting a 12 month career break to go motorhoming (1 Viewer)

NeilEmma

Free Member
Oct 31, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Arapaho
Exp
September 2016
Thanks. I haven't got round to doing a blog, I just post lots of photos on Facebook. We loved it around villajoyosa near benidorm too. We have just spent a week in barcelona and heading to south of france today with a view to heading towards Italy.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Well hello followers its been a while now since my last post and lots have happened in that time. I have now been back at work for 8 months, Sue has retired to child-mind for our 3 new grandchildren, we have been on normal holiday to Fuerteventura. it may not be appropriate on this forum but after much deliberation we have become tuggars again. Yes after 8 years of motorhoming we have crossed over to the dark side and the moho has moved on to another place to live. if anyone is still talking to me lol we are planning on a week in Interlaken Switzerland a week near lake Garda Italy and a week on the French Riviera, any suggestions are welcome

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Well hello followers its been a while now since my last post and lots have happened in that time. I have now been back at work for 8 months, Sue has retired to child-mind for our 3 new grandchildren, we have been on normal holiday to Fuerteventura. it may not be appropriate on this forum but after much deliberation we have become tuggars again. Yes after 8 years of motorhoming we have crossed over to the dark side and the moho has moved on to another place to live. if anyone is still talking to me lol we are planning on a week in Interlaken Switzerland a week near lake Garda Italy and a week on the French Riviera, any suggestions are welcome
Good luck with the change doesn't bother me , still the same people ! A caravan sounds great with grand children. @ mousy did a thread on lake Garda so may be able to help.
Have a great time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
2020 January Spain

2020 Spain blog.

Well we finally organized another trip to Spain, this time in a caravan rather than a motorhome, we have gone back to a car and caravan because we are going to do things differently to the last trip to Spain, instead of staying a couple of nights in a place and then move further down the country we are going to stay at least 2 weeks in a place and use the car to visit all the places around villages we stop in.

Well that was the plan to start with we booked in at Cabopino camping near Marbella and ended up booking for 32 nights because we got 40% off if you book over 30 nights, bargain! At almost half price it helps the budget go a lot further. We tried to book campsites coming round the coast at about 100 mile intervals and then visit everywhere in between with the car, but you have to book well in advance for winter in Spain and couldn't get in at 3 camps sites we picked out.

Day 1 7th January

Set off from home traveling to liss in Hampshire to visit some relatives, then only leaving us 23 miles from Portsmouth ferry port, we called at Brownhill Motorhomes at Newark on route to buy some new chairs, now that’s what I call leaving things while the last minute, we have been going to get them for months but never got around to it.

There was lots of wind on the way down and the route we took was A1, A421 at Bedford onto M1 stopped at Toddington services that doesn't appear to offer caravan parking so parked with the Lorries

We arrived at Southdown’s camping in Liss at around 3pm £20 + a metered card for electric. (Campsite was a little strange had a local feel to it).

We had a lovely meal for 9 at the spread eagle, thanks auntie Jane for the meal. While having the meal we found out a few things about the campsite so on our return after checking the tracker on the caravan several times during the meal lol I removed the valuable’s from the car to the caravan i.e. passports etc

Day 2 8th January

We have to call for fuel this morning I'm going to fill the tank as the price in Spain in no cheaper than here at the moment. Stopped at Asda at junction 3 of the M3 just before Portsmouth £1.26 a ltr it took £60 to fill it up and works out about 25 to gallon, I was not that impressed with that I normally get about 32, but we are very loaded and it was windy on the way down.

Arriving at the port I remembered I had taken the passports into the caravan last night, so I pulled up on double yellows nipped into the van opened the drawer where we put important stuff , not there, ok next best place, not there, then another draw another cupboard, I went back to the car, come and help me love I can’t find them.

We emptied every cupboard and every draw, lifted all the cushions, mattress, pots pans etc, still couldn't find them, we checked the bags in the car, nope, we started again in the van stripping pillow cases from pillows quilt out of the cover three times we completely stripped out the caravan and car. Sue rang the campsite to see if we had dropped them. Stress is not the word we now had 20 minutes before check-closed.

Everything out of the car still nothing, I was crying inside, Sue saying nothing to me, not even sarcastically. I went back to the caravan when Sue shouted OW numpty...... I've got um and isn't it funny because just at the very same time I remembered where I had put them, in the map book, the same map book that I had moved a dozen times when searching the car. I have had some stressful times this last year but wow, now I know what its like to be stressed, I had headache my back was killing me, anyway from then on it was plain sailing excuse the pun.

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
:envy: Green with jealousy-enjoy! Do it for us stuck here
Ps welcome and keep us posted

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
We waited in lane 41, not 13 as we did last time,

We boarded the ship and set off for sunnier climates. We saw the 2 new aircraft carriers HMS queen Elizabeth and HMS Prince of Wales £6.1 billion for both ships. The Queen Elizabeth had to return to Portsmouth on its trail voyage because it leaked at £3 billion,

Quite a rough crossing but not as rough as the prices on board lol. £23 for 2 coarse meal in restaurant and £14 for a full English, club voyager discount on breakfast so only paid £4 all together and meal last night was in cafe at £7.35 for beef baginoff very nice too.

Sue was bad during evening with sea sickness, so really glad I didn't pay £23 for her a meal to put in toilet lol. I laid awake most of night even though I thought I would have been rocked to sleep. oh and Sue has just reminded me that the 2 hours sleep in the afternoon that I had due to alcohol didn't help me sleep at night.
beautiful sunrise next morning.

Day 3 09th Jan 2020

Ferry docked about 2pm we started our journey in beautiful sunshine from Bilbao to Burgos, first toll on AP8 1.33 euros. then onto AP 8 toll was 10.25 euros arriving at Burgos in plenty of time to pitch up and walk it the city before dark. we had drink in an Irish bar and then in the campsite bar along with pork and chicken dinners.

Day 4 10th Jan 2020

Up early away for just after 8am and drove for 6 hours today all on motorway, driving in Spain is a pleasure, we did pass through Madrid, which was interesting.
I have 2 sat navs, one built in and a standalone, both have made mistakes on the way down but we got here to Santa Elana,

a very mountainous area with very tight streets. we sampled a couple of local bars then back to caravan for a home cooked meal.

a very mountainous area with very tight streets. we sampled a couple of local bars then back to caravan for a home cooked meal.

After 10 hours in bed, alarm woke us up at 8am porridge for breakfast, I thought i would go and get my drone out, problem was I could not see what was outside the campsite for the trees and a high fence, but I though my drone will be able to see when above the trees, so I gets it all set up, lifted if off the ground when a red alert came on the phone saying cannot fly due to being too near a military establishment, so I put it away I don't want locking up this early in the holiday lol.

A very comfortable 3 and half hour drive to our final destination, the area around the Sierra Nevada Mountain rage is beautiful. we fuelled up for the last time before reaching the Costa Del Sol.

I parked up for lunch with the big boys

Last edited:
OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Once we had pitched up we went to the harbour saw a bar with happy hour, boy am I missing Benidorm prices.

todays budget went on these drinks lol.

Camp site look nice, pitch they gave us is not big enough to put awning up, but then checking email booking I didn't request an awning plot oops, going back to reception on Monday, should be able to accommodate me then, plots should come empty over weekend.

Day 5 11th Jan 2020
we were going to have a leisure day to after the travelling we have done, so we had a walk to the beach, had a play with my drone and started walking towards Marbella and walked and walked 10 miles later we have been to Marbella and around it lol. we got the bus back, we called at a
beach bar just before Marbella for a drink and as we walked we noticed a range rover pull up and valet parking parked it then a merc and a porche, all being valet parked I said lets go we cannot afford to drink here so we turned around before we actually got in. Pub tonight for Karaoke

Day 6 13th jan 2020

Sorted caravan and car out today as we didn't unpack everything in case we moved to another pitch. we had to make a decision Awning or SUN, umm let me think. Sun won so we are staying where we are, I moved the caravan forward 6 foot to give us an area for sitting in the sun. all done now, no beer today the karaoke took its toll this morning.
we went to look at the harbour this afternoon because of happy hour on Saturday we didn't see much of the harbour.

we walked about 2 miles along the beach towards Fuengirola and found a McDonald's lol, well you have to don't you. its the dearest McDonalds I've ever paid for, prices down here are ridicules'

IMG-20200113-WA0023.jpg

we had done about 5 miles by the time we got back, chilled for rest of evening I beat Sue at Rummiekub no beer all day. Good night.

Day 7 14th January 2020

Going to Fuengarola market today, Sues idea not mine, typical Spanish market sells everything and every other stall sells the same things, if I don't see another pair of socks or nickers it will be too soon lol.

20200114_111724.jpg

we had a good day in all had something to eat in Fuengarola we went out at 9 and didn't get back until 6pm games night Sue beat me tonight so that's one all.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
2020 January Spain

2020 Spain blog.

Well we finally organized another trip to Spain, this time in a caravan rather than a motorhome, we have gone back to a car and caravan because we are going to do things differently to the last trip to Spain, instead of staying a couple of nights in a place and then move further down the country we are going to stay at least 2 weeks in a place and use the car to visit all the places around villages we stop in.

Well that was the plan to start with we booked in at Cabopino camping near Marbella and ended up booking for 32 nights because we got 40% off if you book over 30 nights, bargain! At almost half price it helps the budget go a lot further. We tried to book campsites coming round the coast at about 100 mile intervals and then visit everywhere in between with the car, but you have to book well in advance for winter in Spain and couldn't get in at 3 camps sites we picked out.

Day 1 7th January

Set off from home traveling to liss in Hampshire to visit some relatives, then only leaving us 23 miles from Portsmouth ferry port, we called at Brownhill Motorhomes at Newark on route to buy some new chairs, now that’s what I call leaving things while the last minute, we have been going to get them for months but never got around to it.

There was lots of wind on the way down and the route we took was A1, A421 at Bedford onto M1 stopped at Toddington services that doesn't appear to offer caravan parking so parked with the Lorries

We arrived at Southdown’s camping in Liss at around 3pm £20 + a metered card for electric. (Campsite was a little strange had a local feel to it).

We had a lovely meal for 9 at the spread eagle, thanks auntie Jane for the meal. While having the meal we found out a few things about the campsite so on our return after checking the tracker on the caravan several times during the meal lol I removed the valuable’s from the car to the caravan i.e. passports etc

Day 2 8th January

We have to call for fuel this morning I'm going to fill the tank as the price in Spain in no cheaper than here at the moment. Stopped at Asda at junction 3 of the M3 just before Portsmouth £1.26 a ltr it took £60 to fill it up and works out about 25 to gallon, I was not that impressed with that I normally get about 32, but we are very loaded and it was windy on the way down.

Arriving at the port I remembered I had taken the passports into the caravan last night, so I pulled up on double yellows nipped into the van opened the drawer where we put important stuff , not there, ok next best place, not there, then another draw another cupboard, I went back to the car, come and help me love I can’t find them.

We emptied every cupboard and every draw, lifted all the cushions, mattress, pots pans etc, still couldn't find them, we checked the bags in the car, nope, we started again in the van stripping pillow cases from pillows quilt out of the cover three times we completely stripped out the caravan and car. Sue rang the campsite to see if we had dropped them. Stress is not the word we now had 20 minutes before check-closed.

Everything out of the car still nothing, I was crying inside, Sue saying nothing to me, not even sarcastically. I went back to the caravan when Sue shouted OW numpty...... I've got um and isn't it funny because just at the very same time I remembered where I had put them, in the map book, the same map book that I had moved a dozen times when searching the car. I have had some stressful times this last year but wow, now I know what its like to be stressed, I had headache my back was killing me, anyway from then on it was plain sailing excuse the pun.
2020 January Spain

2020 Spain blog.

Day 1 7th January

Day 2 8th January

we once played the hunt the passport game in a hotel in luxembourg at 4 in the morning both very drunk when we gave in searching the room and decided to board the coach and hope for the best at the border .picked up the case of the floor and there were the passports

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Day 8 15th January 2020

Going out on bikes today for the first time, we tried all around the area that the campsite is located but too many hills and all the villages are linked with only one road the N340 and its like a motorway no biking allowed so I'm a bit disappointed, I checked with reception and no bike tracks that link the villages together, so I put them on the back of the car and went to Fuengarola and we biked all along the coast to Benamaldena marina a 25 mile round trip.

I've been asked for miles travelled and costs so here up to now.

Home to Portsmouth 250 miles, filled up at Portsmouth £60. 24hrs on ferry to Bilbao.

Bilbao to Burgos 98 miles.

Burgos to Santa Elena 339 miles about 6 hours

Santa Elena to Cabopina (Marbella) 197 miles about 3.5 hours

we have done 919 miles and spent 200 euros on fuel which only works out about 25 to gallon which isn't very good but we are loaded up and it was windy part of the way down.

Tolls total from Bilbao to Marbella about 14 euros.

Day 9 16th January 2020

We started the day off by going to Andy's beach 5 minute walk from camp to do some drone footage and have a play, video will be at the end of today.
when we got back we said quiet day today just sat about in sun and started with a few drinks and I'm sorry I cannot remember anything else about it. so on to day 10, lol

If anyone has any comments it would be nice to see them at the bottom good or bad. I actually edited this video at some point yesterday so I wasn't that bad.

ha ha I've just watched the video maybe I was a little tipsey. (watch video on full screen)
I cannot add videos not sure if I'm doing it right.

Day 10 Friday 17th January 2020

Day trip to Puerto Banus where the rich and famous hang out apparently, we didn't se any although we did see some expensive cars and boats and shops, Sue looked in every shop I stood in the sun waiting 22.50 for a menu of the day each, but you know me, I found a McDonald's and who says I dont know how to give a lass a good time.

We spent most of the morning there and then called at Marbella but could get parked so went back to camp. Called at Lidl AGAIN, had a pizza and went to try happy hour on beach and in marina, watched the sun go down.

we got back to camp bar about 8pm and were in bed for just after 9pm sozelled

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Day 11 18th January 2020

No drink day today feeling rough, showers and overcast most of morning, showers cleared away y dinner time, our lisa is doing a skydive today at Bridlington and me and Sue are quite stressed about it, we were playing rummicub and Sue beat me again, obviously I was more worried and my mind not on the game. Once we heard Lisa had landed and all was well we went for a walk around the outsides of the local 18 hole golf course.

We walked about 5 miles we called at Sindbad's bar on the beach on the way back its very beautiful inside, we will have to save up and go for a meal their.
Chilled out in caravan for rest of evening and yes we did not drink any alcohol today at all.

Day 12 Sunday 19th of January 2020

Up early this morning feeling brill after no beer day, its really no good for you at all. out for a 5 mile walk along beach calling at McDonalds for a coffee, Elvis is on this afternoon at a bar on the beach, so after the walk had dinner then got out glad rags on and went with another couple to Andy's beach for some entertainment. then moved on to the La Lunga bar to see Elvis, they had a good old chinwag did Sue and Elvis after she told him she had been to Memphis. the weather has changed today it was quite cool sat on the beach. we then moved on back to camp bar Mario's to get something to eat ready for karaoke and Sue actually got up and sang My Boy by, you guessed it Elvis Presley. So after 8 hours drinking a few karaoke's and dancing. we got back in caravan just before 12 midnight.

Day 13 Monday 20th Of January

Don`t feel too bad this morning considering what we did yesterday, the weather has worsen overnight we had winds and rain most of night, quite cold and dull this morning, (that's by Spain's standards not England's lol.)
I was hoping to go on a descent bike ride this morning but don't think that's going to happen, too windy. we did go for a walk with jeans and a coat on just to get my 10000 steps a day in.

We played games with Kev and Annie most of the afternoon, Sue won mostly. we had dinner and then went to their Motorhome. just living as you do. I may add some days together while weather not too good as we are not doing a great deal out and about. we are hoping to start visiting villages and taking photos next week.

Day 14 Tuesday 21st of January.

Weather ok but a bit dull today, we walked to Sinbad's for a walk.

its about 4 miles round trip had a coffee and walked back, we have also done 7 miles on bike which my not sound like a lot, but when you see how many hills there are its a good workout. the weather may not be brill but I am still in tee shirt and shorts.

A few birds that frequent the tree next the caravan.

Last 2 days has been intermittent heavy rain periods, winds, and last night we had thunder and lightning. we have still got out in between the rain and done our 10,000 steps each day finding a different cafe to have a drink in. played games mostly and went to Kev and Annie's for drinks last night with Stewart and Sharon a couple that Kev and Annie's have known for some time, they have also just come from Villasoll camping in Benidorm, the very site we are going to from here, we are booked in for a meal tonight at Mario's there is a Spanish female singer on tonight.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
photos of the weather today.

Day 18 Saturday 25th of January

The weather is back to something like it should be this morning lovely sunshine for the first time in about 5 days. all six of us went for a walk into Calahonda calling at McDonald's for coffee on way. sat out in the sun al afternoon and cleared away all the mess brought on by the storm, games night at ours and a very good night was had by all.

Day 19 26th of January 2020

updated video of drone footage including beach and local golf course don't forget I am still learning.

Going on a bike ride today with Stewart, he has sorted a route out into the mountains over to La cala de Mijas and back about 21 miles he says, but I havnt seen the actual route, (what you don't know wont hurt you lol ). from what I have gathered so far is that Stewart rides quite a lot and has a very nice looking cyclocross bike.

we set off at 09.30 the first hill was 200yds from the camp and I already thought what have I done, I love cycling but at my pace, we got to the top of the first hill my heart was pounding and my breathing erratic and 21 miles to go.

we had to sort of left, right, left right, for a while until we got onto the Ave. de Espana the road that's takes us into the mountains.

for the people that know me it was like riding up Brierley hill but for five miles, twisting and turning through the mountains.

after about 4 miles and a fair bit of it on foot pushing the bike, Stewart said there's about another mile and a half to the top, its ok if you want to turn back, this is a killer of a hill and there would be no shame in turning back. Now I did think about it and I was tempted, but I said no I want to carry on.

we did and when we got to the top the views of Marbella, Fuengerola were quite impressive we could also see Gibralta and the mountains of Africa.

We had arrived at the town of La Mairena, knowing if I have come up 5 and a half miles I have to go down the same. to cut a long story short we completed just over 30 miles climbing some 3500 feet up some of the steepest hills I have ever done.

We had to make a couple of detours due to the amount of rain water flowing across normally drive riverbeds

Back at the camp safe and sound

I rested for a while before getting cleaned up.

No rest for me though dinner was at 2.30 and then onto Las Lunga beach bar for Elvis and then back to camp bar for Karaoke and because dehydration had set in I drank plenty lol.

If your wondering what I have on my shirt, its a medal that Stewart did for me as I achieved king of the hill status, I wore it for 2 days

Day 20 27th of January 2020

Got up this morning feeling better than I thought I would, sun was shinning so didn't move much from the pitch apart for my daily 1000 steps. in the afternoon I took Sue, Kev and Annie in the car around the route we did on the bikes, they couldn't believe it.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Hi There
I have been updating a thread in INTRODUCE YOURSELF and feel that its not in the right place and don't know how to move a thread, so I have started this thread instead.
440 days ago I had a career break approved and have been patiently waiting for the days to pass which gave me plenty of time to prepare the moho ready for the tour, there has been many changes, I think we are on plan W at the moment lol, first it was going to start in September, then October at the maturity of some shares, then November due to the imminent arrival of our 4th grandchild, anyway long story short we have booked for the Portsmouth to Santander ferry on the 22nd of November and I have worked my last shift TODAY!!!
I love it when a lan comes together, enjoy yourselves

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Day 21 28th of January 2020

Sue and I are having a trip to Ronda today hopefully calling at the smurf village of Juzcar on the way back. The roads through the Ronda valley were amazing if not quite scary. we have a couple of hours in Ronda and then set off to the Smurf village a detour of only 8 miles off the main road but quite a long 8 miles as it is a single track road with sheer drops, the smurf village was fantastic we spoke with a old Spanish lady walking down the main street, she didn't speak any English and I picked up that she had lived there all her life, she was 77 years old and she had always worked the land with her hand, it reminded me of the Long way round with Euan McGregor when he was listening to a old lady in Kazakhstan I truly amazing experience. I used my drone on the way through the valley.

A 6 minute video of the day, I have cut the last 20 seconds of the video as I could not get it to load, it was only the drone landing.

day 22 29th of January 2020

Today we are going to Malaga, on the bus to Fuengarola and then train to Malaga, we have our very on guides today Davison and Watters or should it be Watters and Davison's umm now there's a question (private joke).

It takes about 30 mins on bus then another 40 mins on train costing 15.40 euro return on the train. we arrive in Malaga and were taken to the fish and meat markets with there old architecture and large stain glassed windows, before being shown all the shopping there is in Malaga and there's quite a big area of shops of all descriptions.

There's plenty to do and see in Malaga which took up quite a lot of time. There are many churches of many different religions but all equally proud of their buildings.

We ate in an authentic Italian bar in the square near the Theatre for 10.95 euro for Menu del Dia and had a couple of drinks before having our photos taken sitting with Picasso in the main square.

After Picasso we went to the roof top bar of Hotel the views were amazing, I cannot remember the name of the hotel but it was between Picasso and the Castel.

fter the roof top bar we were taken to the oldest sherry bar in Spain the Antigua casa de guardia, lots of different barrels of sherry all there dor the taking, you could ask for a sample before buying and they were around 1.20 euro for a glass

we enjoyed a snack on the way back to the train and then continued the evening in the Guides motorhome.
Day 23 30th of January 2020
visiting Puerta Banus again this morning with the Guides from yesterday Mine and Sues turn to be the guides. beautiful weather for us again.

and another roof top bar sampled. Stewart has told us about 2 roof top bars in Benidorm that we didnt know about, so looking forwards to visiting those.
Day 24
Me and Sue are going cycling today bikes loaded onto back of the car and parked up in Marbella, we cycled along the see front to Puerta Banus and into the town, I cannot believe this is the end of January the weather is brilliant.https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-qAS5io85...l4QTFIawQCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/20200130_152529.jpg

when we had done about 4 miles I realized I had left my gloves on the top of the car and belive it or not they were still there when we got back some 3 hours after.

Day 25 31st January 2020
BBQ day today at Kev and Annies they make very good hosts,

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Day 25 31st January 2020

BBQ day today at Kev and Annies they make very good hosts, We tried halloumi cheese which whilst t was cooking didn't smell very good at all, but the taste wasn't as bad as I thought so I had a few pieces. we were also introduced to celeriac the root ball of celery we also enjoyed that even though we don't like celery.

Sue and I then went down onto the beach next to the marina, to test the drones capabilities if signal is lost, as when we were at the Smurf village it sent alerts that the signal was week and nearly lost the signal, so I sent the drone away from me to where Sue was so she could catch the drone if it fell, I then turned off the controller and within 5 seconds the drone returned to the take off position which is nice to know if I loose signal it will automatically come back to where it took off.

Day 26 01st of Feb 2020

Bike ride today with Sue Kev and Annie starting at the camp and going to the top of the golf course which is a killer of a hill at the beginning of the ride, its not good for cycling round here, we retraced the ride I did with Stewart backwards to la Cala de Mijas and stopped for coffee at Blarneys cafe. Sue wanted to go look at a cafe called Oliver's that apparently is owned by someone off Towie ?

we came back along the prom and back streets all the way back to camp, stopping at a flea market at la Riviera.

we did about 13 miles altogether, in the sun which helps lol and because its Sunday we then found ourselves at the beach bars for happy hour with entertainment from a Spanish lady in La Lunga, then to the marina because their happy hour lasts longer.

Day 27 02nd of Feb 2020

Power walk for 1000 steps done, then out for dinner at sitio de calahonda at an Italian cafe. very nice rest of day just living as you do.

Day 28 03rd of Feb 2020

Going to Fuengarola today on the bus so we can have a few drinks and visit the market AGAIN. The whole of the costa del sol is covered by see mist today and its quite cold

We found a Chinese free buffet at the marina for 8.95 euro called Seeview Chinese restaurant, one of the best meals we have had so far for the price. chilled out the rest of the night drinking and playing games until the early hours.

Day 29 4th Feb 2020

Today is free food and drinks day put on by the campsite owners, so after our walk we got our spot placed our tables and chairs ready for the sun to come out the party started at 1 o'clock and a brilliant time was had by all lots of food and lots of drink freely available.

the beer must have taken its toll as we were in bed by about 9pm.
Day 30 05th Feb. 2020
Feeling a bit rough this morning, weathers not very good again it rained in the night and it still dull plenty of cloud about, even needed a jacket for our walk this morning. we have been away 30 days now and when we got to site we thought there doesn't seam to be at lot to do around here but here we are after 30 days , we still haven't had got around to using the indoor pool we haven't visited as many places as we thought we would and not once we been bored.
what I have found boring is doing the blog, because there's not a lot happening day to day, unlike when we were in the motorhome changing camp sites every 2 or 3 days, nothing new when you stay in the same place long term. so I am thinking of a way to change the format of the blog although the only reason for doing it was only for us to use as a memory aid for us to look back at.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Day 31 06th of Feb 2020

Apart from our walk we stayed on site all day Kev introduced us to a couple of games they had played before, MOLKY a game with 10 kittle type pieces of wood and a lump of wood that you use to hot the skittles, we spent a couple of hours there was 8 of us, I didn't win anything but its not all about me is it, its the taking part, not. you throw the lump of wood at the kittles and score 1 point for each of the skittles you knock down or the amount numbered on the kittle if yo only hit 1 skittle.

The weather is cloudy again today and a little cooler, we went onto Kev and Annie's motorhome for another game called NURDLING where you have to through coins into a hole in a box lid, I know these games my not sound too exciting but add Tappas and alcohol and a bit of sun, now its starting to sound ok lol.

A good time was had by all and then we finished the night off with a couple games of SEQUENCE a board, Card game, too complicated to explain but a very good game, especially if you win. A trip to Gibraltar tomorrow.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Day 32 7th of February 2020

We set off at 09.30 travelling along the N340, Ap7, paying 5 Euros in tolls arriving at a very busy La Linea the last town in Spain before the border, advice on internet is to park at La Linea and walk through the border, we circled a few times and could not find anywhere to park so we went to the official parking at the border, this was 15.50 euros for the day. we came straight out of the car park and crossed the border in the car, finally parking in a multi-storey carpark at £2 per hour. yes pounds not euros we are now on British soil. everything seems expensive and the exchange rate if you pay in euros is 1.50 euro to the pound so make sure you take British pounds with you. We had a brilliant day taking one of the minibus tours around Gibraltar at £30 each which initially thought it was quite expensive but it did include entrance fees to nature reserve, the caves and the great siege tunnels the drivers gave lots of information about Gibraltar and its history. If you scared of heights this tour is not for you. It was very cloudy so no views over to Africa.

In summary to a brilliant day, before we went we looked at organised bus tours from our camp that were 16 euro just for the bus and free time in Gibraltar or 46 euro each for a complete tour of the island and bus there and back, looking at what we spent if there is only 2 of you it is cheaper to pay 46 euros each for an organised tour as we spent about £20 in fuel, £10 car park, £60 minibus tour, 5 euros in tolls. Total about £93 and ran the risk of damage to the car with the chaos at the border with cars and scooters everywhere.
Day 33 8th of Feb 2020
Another cloudy day today 16 miles on bikes calling at a couple of bistros for coffee and Truasunami cake.

Oh yes I forgot about the beer and wine.
later on we went for a walk on the beach to get out steps in and ended up in the sports bar on the marina and back to the camp bar, another late night.

Day 34 09th of Feb 2020
long walk today to Cala de Mijas, a lovely costal town with a large square full of different eatery's, the sun is out and quite warm, there is a wooden walkway all the way along the coast to the town and it was very busy being a Sunday,

And when you are out walking you need to drink plenty.

We had to put a bit of a spurt on because its Sunday and we all what happens and Sunday the one the only ELVIS PRESLEY at the la Lunga beach bar.

I cannot think of a better way to end a beautiful day than out with friends sat next to Sue, sat on the beach watching the sun go down.

Obviously not including putting grandkids to bed lol.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Day 35 10th of Feb 2020

After quite a late night, we started packing things away, we are moving to Benidorm on Wednesday first thing in the mrning, we went to Bob and Lizza`s motorhome at 2.30pm for a get together and tappas made by liz, we thought we would have a couple of hours and then get the ground sheet taken up etc. that didn't happen as we didn't leave Bobs until sometime after 11pm and in no state to start taking things up.

Day 36 11th of Feb 2020

Once again after quite a late night lol, we caught the bus into Fuengarola 3.20 euro for 2 from outside the camp a bit of shopping at the market bought myself some cheap tee shirts and a pot pig to cook chorizo on.

Then to the SEEVIEW Chinese buffet restaurant on the left hand side of the marina, 8.95 euro for a free buffet, 6 of us eat quite a lot and had a few drinks costing 15 euro each altogether a very good meal and drinks, we would definitely recommend this place.

after a dash to the bus station for the bus back, as we still have to pack up, fuel up, and get ready for the off in the morning and arrangements have been made to meet in Mario's bar on the site for a bit of a leaving do. Well we did get packed up and even moved the caravan ready for a quick exit in the morning, fuelling up will have to wait till the morning as I have had a drink or two. we had a good get together at Mario's and then Sue and I went for a walk as it was a lovely evening and ended up getting a pizza.

Day 37 12th of Feb 2020

Up at 7.30 fuelled up caravan on back of car for 8.30 and away at 9am. driving in Spain is so easy the roads are good, not busy we only used 1 toll at 3.45 euro. I set the cruise control at 58 and didn't really do much else, we stopped 3 times on route, one of them for fuel, 350 miles and 7 and a half hours later we arrived in BENIDORM.
IM HOME JUST LOOK AT THESE PRICES.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Day 41 16th of Feb. 2020 3 days in 1

For the last three day we have just been walking around Benidorm remembering where things are, the first night we had a Indian meal 20 euros including a drink in the new town, its very busy at night. on Thursday we put up the awning so Sue can now get it all as she wants it with table and chairs out etc, its a women thing lol.

Some pics of the campsite, it is a very nice site

We called up to see Rik and Nita on Benisol so lovely to see them again. We have also been on a 16 mile bike ride though to Albir on to Altea, inland to Alfas del Pi, a couple of descent hills in the mix. It was nice to get out on the bike hopefully many more rides to come. we made a stop off at Camping Almafra to see if the beer was as good as last time and it was lol.

Tapas alley in Benidorm is somewhere we hadn't been to before it was very busy but we gave it a try lots to try and lots of tapas bars to try them in. 5 tapas for 10 euros.

Today Sunday we had a walk around the famous Benidorm market or rather Sue did I got fed-up quite quickly so went to Uncle Peds for a coffee and baileys only 1.20 euro, its misty today and quite a chill.

for dinner we went to The Corner Pub next to the Mandarin (WOK) Chinese restaurant for a Sunday dinner. sorry no photos but we had a pate with toast and salad for starters followed by a chicken roast dinner and to finish it off apple crumble and custard with a beer all for 8 quid and all was very nice.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Day 42 17th of Feb 2020

Weather not so good again today very misty no sun, that 2 days and I'm counting. we had breakfast at the camp restaurant 4 euro each and very nice it was,

then a shopping day today went to Carfore, Zara, Aldi etc. Bought myself a nice coat and Sue got a jumper a nice one of course and some more baby clothes, we got invited to Arena Blanca for karaoke by Rik and Nita, its 4 till 7 so we went up at 5.30 for an hour and you guessed it after the karaoke we ended up going for a 3 course meal at the Alhambra restaurant getting home about 11.30. I only got a photo of the desserts.

Day 43 18th of Feb 2020

3rd day of not so good weather, Rick and Nita are going to call at our caravan today and then we all going for a walk into town and back along the beach, Sue has put some tapas on and I tried my new pig to cook some Chorizo.

No comments on the chorizo please.

We followed the tapas with a good walk to the White Star pub, for some Northern soul music walked through Benidorm and back along the prom stopping at the Articas 2 for coffee, Baileys and a chocolate crepe. night in the van watched the start of 11.22.63 a series about JFK and time travel, I don't thinks its a true story.

Day 44 19th of Feb 2020

4th day of misty, cloudy, no sun weather, went out on bikes, cycled up to Alfas del Pi followed the road up and up to La Nucia on the edge of the mountains, its a small Spanish town but had plenty of people and traffic, we stopped for a coffee and got a coffee a glass of water, a small bun and a squirt of cream.

we also bought 2 separate buns and it all came to 4.60 euro, bargain. 21 miles done in total calling a McDonalds o the sea front before returning to the caravan.

dinner/tea in the caravan we are having cooked dinner with veg etc, staying in tonight playing games to try and make the budget go a bit further lol.

Day 45 20th of Feb 2020

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Day 45 20th of Feb 2020

El Cisne flea market is on today so off we walks, we didn't buy anything from the market but we did have the obligatory pint and on Thursday if you buy a drink you get a voucher for some Paella for a euro, we got 2 portions and one would have been enough for both of us. the market was very busy.

On the way back we called at Benisol for a cuppa with Rik and Nita, they didn't have any tea bags so we drank emporado wine instead lol, sat in lovely sunshine which turned into an all afternoon sesion.

Day 46 21 of Feb 2020

we haven't been doing a lot of walking recently so this morning we power walked into and around Benidorm calling for a coffee etc. we have decided to talk the awning down today, we haven't really sat out in it during day because its too warm and not on an evening because its too cold and with the van being 7.9 mts and the awning a full one it takes up all the pitch so limits the space to sit out in the sun so down it came.

We sat out in the sun once it was packed away and chilled with a few cans, we have to pace ourselves today as we are going to Arena Blanca at 5pm ish for some karaoke and then for a meal and then a show.

we set off at 5 for Arena Blanca and as we past the camp bar we realized it was start of happy hour, I said can we squeeze a quick one in, Now the problem was that I thought happy hour was half price, well its not its 2 for one, so when I asked for a pint and a glass of wine as a quick drink I got this lol.

so after a few too many cans and 2 pints, 2 wines we got to Arena Blanca just before 6pm. we ate at about 8pm at eastern spice Indian restaurant we had onion barges then chicken tikka masala followed by ice cream and a glass of wine all for 6.75 euro bargain brits in Benidorm.

The Philippine's cabaret bar was our next port of call Elvis first then a comedian followed by the greatest showman, a very good night indeed getting back to van after 1am.

Day 47 22nd of Feb 2020

We felt a little strange this morning and was in need of some food, breakfast at Times square cafe 1.95 euro for Sues breakfast and 2.75 euro for mine.

Benidorm was heaving this morning loads of people walking along the promenade.

Sunbathed most of day today don't feel that well lol. I cooked liver and onions for dinner outside van in the sun it was delicious.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Day 48 23rd of Feb 2020

Up early this morning a full day ahead of us starting with a bike ride to far end of Atea and tried the main road back N322, it was good for cycling on, we did 17 miles at a good pace.

Home and showered, we are going to the Royal Secret bar today for tapas and wine and maybe beer. its a lovely place very friendly staff especially Kayliegh.

five tapas and a bottle of wine for 6.50 euro, beers 1.50 euro a pint.

we had a couple of hours and a few pints and then called in at the camp bar for live show, guy singing songs from the 60s mainly he was ok we enjoyed it. there was plenty of people in the bar and we were starting to get hungry so we decided to go to the Mandarin (WOK) Chinese restaurant for a 3 course meal and another bottle of wine we paid a little extra to get Emporado wine, total cost only 17 euros for the both of us. we were well on our way now and I think we were in bed for about 10 ish.

Day 49 24th of February 2020

We were going to the chocolate factory today at Villajoyosa but we didn't get up in time so we went along the cost in the car, stopping at Greenwich marina, between Altea and the Calpe, what a beautiful place it was, I got my drone out and did a bit of filming.

After we left the marina area to go on to the Calpe we came across a old Russian church made completely out of wooden logs actually I am not sure if logs are made out of anything else lol.

we carried on to The Calpe and had a walk along the prom to the harbour, the price of meals compared to Benidorm are quite expensive at around 17 euro each for meal of the day.

on to Aldi for some more supplies and then the rest of the night editing videos and updating the blog.

6 minute video of the marina, the sea and some rocks with Benidorm in the background and the Russian church.
sorry cannot upload video on to here.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Day 50 25th of Feb 2020

A visit to the world famous, VALOR chocolate factory in Villajoyosa this morning, Rik and Nita are coming with us as they have never been before. A short journey down the N332 only 1 wrong turn and we found the factory we were there for 9.25 and it didn't open until 10 am so we nipped for a coffee across the road, where there was about 20 Gardar civil officers all having breakfast and drinks?. Each one of them armed with a pistol. we took our ticket at 10 am as they limit the amount of people on the tour to 50. there was only about 25 on the 45 min tour that we took the tour was in English apparently the tour language changes each hour, English ones are 10am and 4 pm. there is no charge for the tour. It was very informative and its amazing how much work goes into making a bar of chocolate.

The factory was not actually in production for 3 weeks due to maintenance work and replacing some machines. but apparently when it is they make 2000 bars a minute. there is a tasting session at the end of all there different produce including there very thick drinking chocolate, which was just like melted chocolate.
The tour lasted about 45 mins and then we went to the beach at Villajoyosa a quaint little town were all the houses are painted a different colour and there are moving walkways to take you from the beach to some of the hotels.

We dropped Rik and Nita off back at their camp as we have been invited for a drink and tapas type nibbles with the other campers on our row. plenty to eat and plenty to drink so much so that apparently I couldn't walk home to our caravan unaided. well whether its true or not I don't know as I cannot remember anything after about 8 o'clock.

We had a really good time and when I woke the next morning I had this wrote on my leg.

It could have been a lot worse I guess.

Day 51 26th of Feb 2020

A beer free day today lol. we had a walk just before dinner along the promenade and then decided at 4 pm to walk up to the famous Benidorm cross.

start of the walk at Lavante beach

Hotel called the benikaktus

6.2 miles from caravan and back. We stayed in tonight and finished watching 11.22.63 slow in places but enjoyed it.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Day 52 27th of Feb 2020

Brisk walk started the day today just short of 4 miles up the back streets and back along the sea front, then a bike ride towards La Nucia but a different way through the orange goves, who would think that you are les than a mile from the hustle and bustle of Benidorm when riding along the orange groves, the smell of the oranges was beautiful.

The ride didn't go to plan because I forgot to pick up the water bottles of the side and we didn't have a cent between us, so could even stop and buy a bottle of water. its quite warm especially going up hill so we turned round and came back the same way, still about 15 miles done though.

Sue went for her hair and nails done at 2 pm so I stripped my bikes brakes down to check pads and they are well warn so need changing, I spun the front wheel to line up the pads and trapped my finger in the front disc, there was blood everywhere I thought I had lost the end of my finger but when I cleaned it up it wasn't as bad as I thought. sorry for the photo but its the only one I have taken today lol.

Me being me it didn't stop me then walking down to meet Sue and to the camp bar to see Scott Michael a singer but with a very dry wit taking the mick out of people between and during songs.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
If it wasnt sore before it is now, ive just caught it on my trousers and took that nail end off

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Day 53 28th of Feb 2020

Steady day today sunbathing outside caravan no beer until later, sun very hot, We went to Arena Blanca campsite for 5pm to the karaoke, met up with Rik and Nita, Colmar's was the place for our meal tonight, I had a 15oz gammon egg chips etc for 9.50 euro it was beautiful, we then went over the road at 9pm to El Raco camp site another Karaoke it was very busy and Sue got up and sang My Boy by Elvis Presley, she was very nervous you could see the microphone shaking, but she did it, bless her there will be no stopping her now. another very good but also very late night.

Day 54 29th of Feb 2020

Sues brother and sister in law are coming today stopping in the Levante lux apartments for a week. We set off showing them around Benidorm at 1pm and got home at 1.30am the next morning very drunk.

Day 55 01st March 2020

DRUNK

Day 56 2nd March 2020

DRUNK AGAIN

Day 57 3rd March 2020

Thankfully we are going out in the car today so I cannot drink lol, We went into the mountains and visited El Castell de Quadalest a very bonito mountain village about 12 miles inland from Benidorm.

After Quadalest we called at the Motorbike museum and were going to have a coffee but decided to continue to Algar waterfalls, 4 euro entry to walk along the falls they are very picturesk. No one swimming today the weather has not been very good the last few days with clouds and wind, yesterday we got the backend of storm Katrina.

Going to the House of gold Chinese restaurant tonight and then on to the clubs etc so will be another busy late night. Its now 5pm and I haven't had a drink yet lol.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Day 58 4th of March 2020
Up early we are taking Will and Shell for a walk to the cross today after a good old full English for 2.75 euro each.

we all made it up to the cross having a few stops to look at the views (rest stops).

We then tried the Secret Fountain rooftop bar and watched a brief acrobat show with 4 blokes throwing them selves around, when they finished they came round with a hat for tips.

Royal secret bar was next our favourite, Beer is 1.50 euro a pint and 5 tapas and a bottle of wine for 6.50 euros we sat in the sun and it was red hot for a couple of hours then had a siesta before getting ready for the night time that started with a menu del dia at Eastern spice I had Onion Bargees chicken madras half a pint and a coffee, it was absolutely gorgeous. 6.95 euros.

We finished the night of in the tropical bar watching Niel Diamond and the rat pack tribute acts.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Day 61 7th of March 2020

I have missed a couple of days because all that's happened is we have met up with will and shell quite early walked, ate and drunk, we have been to many different establishments and eaten some gorgeous meals and got back in the caravan very late, its been a very busy, very tiring week but also a very enjoyable one, but I have to say without prejudice lol. I'm glad they have gone home.

Sue and I went shopping today, cleaned my bike and laid in the sun.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back