Starting a 12 month career break to go motorhoming (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Day 36 Friday 26th of February
Up at 8.30 due to a planned breakfast at 9 in the camp restaurant, well I did it again indulged too much in the alcohol I have a bad head, we were having a great send off last night and the plan was for just me and Sue to get the last bus at 10.40 so we could get an earlyish night before a long drive tomorrow, we started saying our good byes at about 10.15 and by the time Sue had finished saying her goodbyes we had missed the last bus, so back to the bar it was until about 1.30 and the plan was to set off early in the morning and get a full days driving in before dusk, well that’s not going to happen now. I had a large breakfast to soak some up beer this is it lol.

We decided to wait until dinner time to set off which gave us a bit more time for last minute stuff like getting some more wine to take home lol.
We did eventually set off at 12.00 driving on the toll road for ease we drove 600 km stopping driving at 18.15 before it got dark, we stayed in a layby on the AP15 at Olite, the motorway signs were showing possibility of snow Friday and the weekend. We are sat in the camper its hammering it down with rain, its blowing a gale and its freezing, I can’t believe the change, in bed for 9.30 and the plan is up at 7 so we can set off at first light, I haven’t taken the dog out its too wet and cold if he needs to go in the night I’m sure he will let me know.
Day 37 Saturday 27th of February
Dog woke me up at 6.45 which is pretty good timing so I took him out to a light covering of snow/sleet, we stayed up and cooked breakfast waiting for the light to appear, we set off at 8am with a gale and sleet, it was blowing us all over and every mile towards the mountains it got worse we were down to 45 mph due to the high winds and I’ve never seen as many snow ploughs in one place, it appear at one bit that every third vehicle was a snow plough,

I really didn’t like the viaducts with all the wind I had the windscreen wipers on full as we traversed over the mountains we went through several tunnels and then one very long one and as we came out the other side, NO snow and the winds had slowed down only a little though. So the mountain that we passed under had stopped the terrible weather that we were experiencing on the other side. As we travelled further away from the mountains the weather did improve slightly but it never stopped raining all day and the winds came and went, we pulled on an Aire at 18.30 after traveling 800 km somewhere north of Le Mans.

I’ve just been in touch with our daughter at home to check the ferry crossings for tomorrow, wow don’t they go up on a weekend, 14.30 tomorrow £140 Calais to Dover, it stays the same all day up to 12.35 in the morning when it drops to £70, I don’t fancy hanging about in Calais for 10 hours especially after driving 1400 km in 2 day to get home quicker only to arrive in Dover at 3 in the morning and then either pull up on Dover sea front till morning and hit all the traffic, so I asked her to search on the internet for the Eurostar crossings, I did expect it to be dearer but it turned out cheaper at £135 for 3pm, Sue has never been on the tunnel so tunnel it is and we arrive in England half an hour before we set off and will be home by about 8 o’clock Sunday night.

We have travelled 1800km so far and not seen any traffic problems at all, we go on the first motorway in England and this is what happened

Home safe and well at 7.30pm Sunday night. after traveling approx. 2225 km

I will be putting all the toll and diesel prices on for information later.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think I need new goggles...
I just read the thread titles as 'starting a 12 month career breaking into motorhomes'

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Hi All
Sorry about the delay it has been quite hectic since we returned, doing my Daughters new house up having said that still no little one as I type this,

We Travelled 2806 miles from Yorkshire to Benidorm and back doing 70 miles an hour constantly the whole way. costing £426 in diesel, calculating to 29.9 MPG which I am very happy with.

Below are the numbers. calculated at exchange rate of 1.26 euros to the pound
totals euros

Tolls out 173.15 €
Diesel Out 242.22 €
Total cost to Benidorm 415.37 €
Tolls back 175.50 €
Diesel back 232.68 €
Total cost back home 408.18 €
total for full trip in euros 823.55 €

Totals Pound sterling
Tolls out £137.42
Diesel Out £192.24
Total £329.66
Tolls back £139.29
diesel back £184.67
Total £323.95
Total for full trip in pound sterling £653.61

Miles travelled 2806
average MPG 29.9

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Congratulations on the birth of Darcy! And I thoroughly enjoyed your blog! You had a great time and took some great photos! When is the next trip?!(y)

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Congratulations on the birth of Darcy! And I thoroughly enjoyed your blog! You had a great time and took some great photos! When is the next trip?!(y)
Well, we now have another grandchild due at the end of July so no Spain I`m afraid, we are looking at doing Yorkshire wolds, Yorkshire Dales North Yorkshire moors and maybe the lakes from May for about 7 weeks.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Hi All
Sorry about the delay it has been quite hectic since we returned, doing my Daughters new house up having said that still no little one as I type this,

We Travelled 2806 miles from Yorkshire to Benidorm and back doing 70 miles an hour constantly the whole way. costing £426 in diesel, calculating to 29.9 MPG which I am very happy with.

Below are the numbers. calculated at exchange rate of 1.26 euros to the pound
totals euros

Tolls out 173.15 €
Diesel Out 242.22 €
Total cost to Benidorm 415.37 €
Tolls back 175.50 €
Diesel back 232.68 €
Total cost back home 408.18 €
total for full trip in euros 823.55 €

Totals Pound sterling
Tolls out £137.42
Diesel Out £192.24
Total £329.66
Tolls back £139.29
diesel back £184.67
Total £323.95
Total for full trip in pound sterling £653.61

Miles travelled 2806
average MPG 29.9

Sorry I didn't add the crossings which were
Dover to Calais with P and O £65.00 and the tunnel coming back at £135.00
Total for the whole journey £853.61

Geegee

Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Fife
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay self build
Exp
Nice one but be warned, my 4 month career break is currently in month 14. I just cant stop exploring. Good luck in your travels.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Nice one but be warned, my 4 month career break is currently in month 14. I just cant stop exploring. Good luck in your travels.
HA HA we are already talking about extending it to 2 years, mainly due to 1 death and 3 new arrivals in the 12 months that we decided to go away lol

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Spending time in England while waiting for another new arrival.

Well we find ourselves back in the road again after the birth of Darcy

our 5th grandchild all is well with both mum and baby who is now 5 weeks old so off we go again in the motorhome, we have about 8 weeks before being home for the birth of grandchild No. 6 towards the end of July. We have decided to stay in England for this period the weather should be getting better and it keeps us within an easy distance of the new arrivals. "Its a women thing". However York marina

is the first stop for the weekend we are going with some friends, two couples who have a caravan and a motorhome. Its a nice small site and only holds about 10 units where you park right at the side of the river quite its quite expensive at £25 per night. The toilet block was being rebuild and out of action fortunately they marina had another block albeit quite a walk the facilities we very nice. Friday was cold and cloudy with spells of sunshine si we kept ourselves warm by drinking very cold beers and finishing of with some lovely home made chicken tika sag wow it was spicy and very nice I had loads.

I suppose your already thinking there's a pattern here all they do is eat and drink I guess you would be right in thinking that. So Friday night was very late and stayed in each others units. Saturday should be good in the city of York as its also St Georges day, we went into York about 1.30 in the afternoon, there was plenty going off in the centre of York with dances of all description plenty I music from different types of bands and groups

Carling was £3.75 a pint, ouch. We had a great time and visited quite a few different bars the city was very busy with lots of people dressed for St Georges day, we had home made burgers back at the caravan site about 9 pm and watched the sun go down over the river a beautiful view.

we are hving an earlier night tonight as we have to set off home about 7am because Sue is going to Blackpool over night for her sisters hen do, I got her back home at 8.25 and she was being picked up at 8.45 I don't know how she did it but she did, a shower, hair and make-up all in 20 mins.

Our 2nd outing

was at The Sloop Inn at Temple Hirst near Selby small campsite that lends itself to a large field at the back of a nice pub we have used this site for a couple of years at the cost of £5 a night you can't go wrong and a very welcoming pub within rolling distance. We went with sues two brothers who have caravans, our daughter came up for the day and our two sons ended up stopping the night as well, quite a good weekend overall, there was some problems but I guess family and beer don't always mix well.

We are home for a while now sorting out our home that is going to be looked after by Sues brother while we do the rest of our time off work, so we have a lot of work sorting out and de-cluttering. I have never worked as hard in my life.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
We finally got away again on the 21st of May to the Yorkshire Wolds a campsite near scampston called Wolds way camping a beautiful site well spaced out pitches into separate paddocks with brilliant shower facilities £15 a night with electric the only problem is the weather, rain, rain and more rain, with short spells of lovely sun shine in between.

We walked along the Wolds way for about 4 miles before finding a pub in West heslerton a few drinks and headed back to base getting wet through in the process, we did about 7 miles altogether taking in some beautiful scenery of the vale of Pickering. We are on electrics so heater on full in the moho and dried out.

Day 2 Sunday 22nd of May

It rained all afternoon, evening and through the night but we got up at about 8am to brilliant sunshine. So we sat in it to have breakfast and them got ready to walk on the Wolds Way in the opposite direct to yesterday towards winteringham, which was about two and a half miles through the most beautiful paths and woodland.

We then saw a sign for Wolds Way lavender farm, 1 mile later I was eating home made rhubarb ice scream. Sue had a walk around the lavender farm I stayed in car park with dogs as one of them had rolled in something not very nice AGAIN. We stayed dry today but 20 mins after we got back to the moho the heavens opened at stayed open untill about 9 pm when a beautiful sun set showed its head.

Day 3 Monday 23/05/2016

Leaving Wolds way camping today I would recommend this site it is clean and tidy set out in sort of culd-a-sacs facilities are very good with endless supplies of hot water, there is a small shop on site in reception and has fantastic views of the vale of Pickering. It is situated on the Wolds way walk so is a good stop for supplies while doing the walk.

We arrived in Bridlington around 12.30 straight to the Regatta field at the south shore we are stopping on a Camping and caravanning club Temporary Holiday Site, £9 per night. We received a warm welcome from the steward of the Derbyshire DA who told us to pick where we wanted to pitch up. So pitch up we did in less than 5 mins. We just pulled up and turns the gas on, that's the joys of motor homing.
We walked the 1.3 miles along the dunes into the centre of Bridlington passing the park and ride you can use this to get into brid as well. Tried 3 different cash machines to no avail so went into bank only to find my card had expired, oops. We did get some money and did a bit of shopping then sat outside in the sun and had a latte.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
On the way back we walked down the beach our benji loved the beach he is 11 and never been to the seaside, sorry I haven't said we have two German Shepperd's with us now as daughter not at home to look after him.

And you guessed it we found pub with happy you 4 till 6 called the Warren so it would have been rude not to.

Day 4 Tuesday 24/05/2016
Sun shining this morning albeit still very windy out with the dogs back for a full English breakfast in the van with proper butchers bacon.

Then we set off to walk south towards barmston, along the sands and track that follows the cliff edge the erosions of the land is obvious, over 30 villages have now been lost to the sea along this coast lots of the pill boxes are now on the beach with land being over 100yds away, we did a round trip of 8 miles working off just over a 1000 calories so we can now have a good dinner and a couple of drinks in the happy hour lol. The rain held of just untill we got 200yds from the van so timing was just right and then it was wind and rain for the rest of the day.

Day 5 Wednesday 25/05/2016
After a really windy, cold and wet evening and night we woke up to even more rain and wind and it is freezing I took the dogs out for the quickest walk ever. Then Sue wanted to go into town for some shopping and do the slot machines while it colds and miserable, I said we could do that any day then because everyday is cold and miserable (I really am missing Spain) lol.

Anyway we got wet through walking in to town wet through while in town and even wetter on the way back. I can't believe how cold it is. The rest of the day was tucked up in the camper watching film's. We watched Captain Phillips wit Tom Hanks, now I'm not a weepy at all but boy o boy did tears stream down my face at the end and I had the biggest lump in my throat, the last time I did that was years ago watching Champ.

Day 6 Thursday 26/05/2016

Woke up this morning still raining still windy and I cannot see 100yards, it did ease of a little towards dinnertime and we need some gas, I fitted refillable bottles in August last year it cost me £28 to refill them today so that's not bad cost for 100 nights use. We paid 65 pence a litre not sure if that's cheap or not. We then carried on to Filey for an hour and had fish and chips. Continuing to Crows nest camp site to visit Sues uncle. Its still very miserable, the weather that is.

Day 7 Friday 27/05/2016

What a beautiful morning no rain, no wind, things are looking up. We got out walking boots on and set off into Bridlington

calling at the Spa Theatre to book my birthday present, Sue is taking me to a show but wont tell me which one.

We then carried in towards Sewerby hall along the coast the sun now shinning coast are off and around our waists, we dropped on a couple from Arizona USA, that had just CV completed the way of the roses walk from Morecambe to Bridlington 170 miles in 12 days so we had a good chat about the route because I cycled it a few years back in 2 days.

We carried in the cliffs top walk and ended up at Flamboro head light house. Some 7 miles along the coast it was a beautiful walk, we had lunch in the pub followed by a large fresh cream and jam scone, all we have to do now is walk back lol. 13.5 mile round trip poor Sue and Benji they are shattered. The scenery is beautiful the sea was very calm,

Sue went straight to bed shivering I think the shock of being in the sun has set in.

Day 8 Saturday 28/05/2016

Very overcast this morning but its ok because theres no wind and rain. Our two daughters are coming today to see us, joanne stopping for the weekend and Lisa just for the day. We all met up around 11 o'clock at Joanne's caravan, then walked into Bridlington. It is very busy today in the car parks and the town centre there are even people on the beach and I don't mean walking dogs actually sun bathing, now if there was any sun that would look ok but there isn't and it still chilly. Slot machine, walk along the prom completed. coffees, a pint and a chocolate éclair have been consumed so far we have baby Darcey to tend to along with the needs of rocky. A great day was had in Bridlington before walking back to the southcliffe for good old fashioned Fish and chips. Lisa left about 8 we tendered to the dogs and went back for a drink. Having a late night compared to of late.

Day 9 Sunday 29/05/2016

Once again when is it going to warm up. The forecast was supposed to be nice for today I'm typing this at 10 o'clock and its not started yet. We arranged to meet with our Jo along the beach to see how quick our dogs would realize that it was rocky her dog walking towards us, I was surprised that at about one hundred yards admittedly down wind Defa lifted his head and started running straight to them, with no doubt in my mind he knew exactly who it was.

We spent an hour or so on the beach with the dogs enjoying themselves in the sea before returning to there caravan to warm up. We were then babysitting for our Darcey while mum and dad went to watch Barnsley, they are playing milwall at Wembley, we had another walk around Bridlington with her then she was due for a feed and the wind was getting up so back to Jos caravan we waited for them coming back in and they were well happy with a result of 3-1 to Barnsley so we had to celebrate of course.

Day 10 Monday 30th May 2016

Very windy all night and this morning, I like Bridlington but I wont be sorry to leave it behind on Wednesday due to the weather. We are going to see Mad about the Musicals' 10th anniversary tomorrow night "yes I have found out" if we hadn't boked it we would have left today, coats on and down the beach for a walk towards Skipsea. We played games all afternoon two windy outside, I can't believe the weather is so windy, it has warmed up a little and if you can find shelter its quiet pleasant.

Day 11 Tuesday 31st of may 2016

My Birthday today and I have spent the first 8 hours of it laid waiting for the sky lights to be ripped off the top of the camper by the wind, its like being on a cruise the camper is rocking from side to side, front to back and almost up and down. Sue took me out for breakfast, Jesus it is so cold it was warmer in January, we are going back to bed to watch a film, the camper is rockin and not for the right reasons. What a lazy day today laid in bed most of it only getting up to see to dogs. We are now getting ready to go to the show at the spa theatre. May even cut my hair lol.

Day 12 Wednesday 1st of June 2016

Well there was no hair cut, but the show was very good, there was 3 female singers and 2 men Garth Gates and Micheal Courtny with a live band doing songs from all the famous musicals, finishing off with 5 from Les miserables which is my favourite musical so that finished it off brilliantly for me. We fought the winds back to the van I cannot wait to leave this place but only because of the appalling weather. Wind all night the van rocking rain on the top of the van which normally is quite a nice sound but not after 4 days solid. We packed up at 7.30 this morning still raining and blustery and I'm glad we have a motorhome because its so easy to pack up, we parked outside to stewards caravan to pay but all curtains were drawn, but then I saw movement she must be awake and it had nothing to do with my 2.8 turbo diesel engine ticking over outside her bedroom window lol. We paid our due's 9 nights at £9.50 and were on our way for sunnier climates,

We stopped for fuel and had a bacon sandwich joining the M62 at Northcaves, there was a lot of traffic all the way to the M56 junction and then we were stud still for about 20 mins and then only moved about a mile in another 20 mins so we made a detour along the M6 to the next junction only adding 10 miles to the journey but we were moving. We tried to get on the caravan and camping club site at Delaware forest but it was full so tried a certificated site near Ryhl. What a little gem that turned out to be after a bit of what are we doing here.We followed the Satnav and drove down a little street full of bungalows the type of street when you think it can't be down here and behind one of the bungalows was the site and basically it is their back garden but they have set out 5 separate pitches all with EHU, there is a shower and toilet a washing machine fresh water and elsan points and at only £10 per night with electric brilliant.

We then set to with the camper which is in a right state and everything is wet and smelly lol. Four machine washers later and some hovering we are almost civilized again and we spent the rest of the evening sat watching the sun go down.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
On the way back we walked down the beach our benji loved the beach he is 11 and never been to the seaside, sorry I haven't said we have two German Shepperd's with us now as daughter not at home to look after him.

And you guessed it we found pub with happy you 4 till 6 called the Warren so it would have been rude not to.

Day 4 Tuesday 24/05/2016
Sun shining this morning albeit still very windy out with the dogs back for a full English breakfast in the van with proper butchers bacon.

Then we set off to walk south towards barmston, along the sands and track that follows the cliff edge the erosions of the land is obvious, over 30 villages have now been lost to the sea along this coast lots of the pill boxes are now on the beach with land being over 100yds away, we did a round trip of 8 miles working off just over a 1000 calories so we can now have a good dinner and a couple of drinks in the happy hour lol. The rain held of just untill we got 200yds from the van so timing was just right and then it was wind and rain for the rest of the day.

After a really windy, cold and wet evening and night we woke up to even more rain and wind and it is freezing I took the dogs out for the quickest walk ever. Then Sue wanted to go into town for some shopping and do the slot machines while it colds and miserable, I said we could do that any day then because everyday is cold and miserable (I really am missing Spain) lol.

Anyway we got wet through walking in to town wet through while in town and even wetter on the way back. I can't believe how cold it is. The rest of the day was tucked up in the camper watching film's. We watched Captain Phillips wit Tom Hanks, now I'm not a weepy at all but boy o boy did tears stream down my face at the end and I had the biggest lump in my throat, the last time I did that was years ago watching Champ.

Woke up this morning still raining still windy and I cannot see 100yards, it did ease of a little towards dinnertime and we need some gas, I fitted refillable bottles in August last year it cost me £28 to refill them today so that's not bad cost for 100 nights use. We paid 65 pence a litre not sure if that's cheap or not. We then carried on to Filey for an hour and had fish and chips. Continuing to Crows nest camp site to visit Sues uncle. Its still very miserable, the weather that is.

Day 7 Friday 27/05/2016

What a beautiful morning no rain, no wind, things are looking up. We got out walking boots on and set off into Bridlington

calling at the Spa Theatre to book my birthday present, Sue is taking me to a show but wont tell me which one.

We then carried in towards Sewerby hall along the coast the sun now shinning coast are off and around our waists, we dropped on a couple from Arizona USA, that had just CV completed the way of the roses walk from Morecambe to Bridlington 170 miles in 12 days so we had a good chat about the route because I cycled it a few years back in 2 days.

We carried in the cliffs top walk and ended up at Flamboro head light house. Some 7 miles along the coast it was a beautiful walk, we had lunch in the pub followed by a large fresh cream and jam scone, all we have to do now is walk back lol. 13.5 mile round trip poor Sue and Benji they are shattered. The scenery is beautiful the sea was very calm,

Sue went straight to bed shivering I think the shock of being in the sun has set in.

Very overcast this morning but its ok because theres no wind and rain. Our two daughters are coming today to see us, joanne stopping for the weekend and Lisa just for the day. We all met up around 11 o'clock at Joanne's caravan, then walked into Bridlington. It is very busy today in the car parks and the town centre there are even people on the beach and I don't mean walking dogs actually sun bathing, now if there was any sun that would look ok but there isn't and it still chilly. Slot machine, walk along the prom completed. coffees, a pint and a chocolate éclair have been consumed so far we have baby Darcey to tend to along with the needs of rocky. A great day was had in Bridlington before walking back to the southcliffe for good old fashioned Fish and chips. Lisa left about 8 we tendered to the dogs and went back for a drink. Having a late night compared to of late.

Day 9 Sunday 29/05/2016

Once again when is it going to warm up. The forecast was supposed to be nice for today I'm typing this at 10 o'clock and its not started yet. We arranged to meet with our Jo along the beach to see how quick our dogs would realize that it was rocky her dog walking towards us, I was surprised that at about one hundred yards admittedly down wind Defa lifted his head and started running straight to them, with no doubt in my mind he knew exactly who it was.

We spent an hour or so on the beach with the dogs enjoying themselves in the sea before returning to there caravan to warm up. We were then babysitting for our Darcey while mum and dad went to watch Barnsley, they are playing milwall at Wembley, we had another walk around Bridlington with her then she was due for a feed and the wind was getting up so back to Jos caravan we waited for them coming back in and they were well happy with a result of 3-1 to Barnsley so we had to celebrate of course.

Very windy all night and this morning, I like Bridlington but I wont be sorry to leave it behind on Wednesday due to the weather. We are going to see Mad about the Musicals' 10th anniversary tomorrow night "yes I have found out" if we hadn't boked it we would have left today, coats on and down the beach for a walk towards Skipsea. We played games all afternoon two windy outside, I can't believe the weather is so windy, it has warmed up a little and if you can find shelter its quiet pleasant.

My Birthday today and I have spent the first 8 hours of it laid waiting for the sky lights to be ripped off the top of the camper by the wind, its like being on a cruise the camper is rocking from side to side, front to back and almost up and down. Sue took me out for breakfast, Jesus it is so cold it was warmer in January, we are going back to bed to watch a film, the camper is rockin and not for the right reasons. What a lazy day today laid in bed most of it only getting up to see to dogs. We are now getting ready to go to the show at the spa theatre. May even cut my hair lol.

Well there was no hair cut, but the show was very good, there was 3 female singers and 2 men Garth Gates and Micheal Courtny with a live band doing songs from all the famous musicals, finishing off with 5 from Les miserables which is my favourite musical so that finished it off brilliantly for me. We fought the winds back to the van I cannot wait to leave this place but only because of the appalling weather. Wind all night the van rocking rain on the top of the van which normally is quite a nice sound but not after 4 days solid. We packed up at 7.30 this morning still raining and blustery and I'm glad we have a motorhome because its so easy to pack up, we parked outside to stewards caravan to pay but all curtains were drawn, but then I saw movement she must be awake and it had nothing to do with my 2.8 turbo diesel engine ticking over outside her bedroom window lol. We paid our due's 9 nights at £9.50 and were on our way for sunnier climates,

We stopped for fuel and had a bacon sandwich joining the M62 at Northcaves, there was a lot of traffic all the way to the M56 junction and then we were stud still for about 20 mins and then only moved about a mile in another 20 mins so we made a detour along the M6 to the next junction only adding 10 miles to the journey but we were moving. We tried to get on the caravan and camping club site at Delaware forest but it was full so tried a certificated site near Ryhl. What a little gem that turned out to be after a bit of what are we doing here.We followed the Satnav and drove down a little street full of bungalows the type of street when you think it can't be down here and behind one of the bungalows was the site and basically it is their back garden but they have set out 5 separate pitches all with EHU, there is a shower and toilet a washing machine fresh water and elsan points and at only £10 per night with electric brilliant.

We then set to with the camper which is in a right state and everything is wet and smelly lol. Four machine washers later and some hovering we are almost civilized again and we spent the rest of the evening sat watching the sun go down.

I've used this site many times. Is John the owner still going. He was quite elderly last time we visited.we became good friends. Love your adventures by the way.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Wer used

Day 4 Tuesday 24/05/2016

Day 7 Friday 27/05/2016

Day 9 Sunday 29/05/2016

We used that one years ago and got friendly with john and his wife who was a salvation army captain or something belonging to it. He was quite elderly then . He was getting infirm even then, is he still running it.?
We have nice memories of that place.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Wer used

We used that one years ago and got friendly with john and his wife who was a salvation army captain or something belonging to it. He was quite elderly then . He was getting infirm even then, is he still running it.?
We have nice memories of that place.
Hi Welsh girl yes its still john and Rita and she still does the salvation army stuff we only saw John on one day and he just sat at the back of the bungalow, glad your enjoying the adventures if we can call them that , I just do it for the kids so they can see what we are upto but its great to look back at it. I didn't think they would be interesting to anyone else lol .

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Day 13 Thursday 02/06/2016

And awoke to beautiful sunshine

what a difference the weather makes Sue hung the rest if the washing out on our newly purchased camping washing line.

Then off on a walk to the sea front. Its 1 mile from the camp and not a lot there, a little bit like Cleethorpes 30 years ago lol. We turns left and walked for 3 miles not really passing anything upto Abergele. There was some little sea front attraction a few cafes a bar slots and amusments with crazy golf and bouncy castles. We decided to walk back along the road slightly in land and I'm glad we did because almost the whole stretch of the road was caravan parks with bars and fairground rides cafes and plenty of people none of it we could see from the sea front

. 8 mile round trip done beautiful weather and only one pint of alcohol consumed home now for burgers. The sun is still shinning so its cooking outside burgers chicken and sausage, onions and mushrooms served with all our favourite sauces.

Sat and chilled the rest of the evening.

Day 14 Friday 3rd of June 2016

The Dogs woke me up at 7 o'clock this morning and once again the sun is shining . Hopefully after taking dogs for a walk we are going to go out on bikes, we haven't been on a bike ride together since returning from Spain. We did 7.5 miles along the sea front cycle path where it ended at prestatin so we turn right in to the town centre,

sun still shinning lol. The town centre was buzzing there was a car boot type market at we entered the town made it feel a little like Spain.

We both bought new trainers from Sports direct checked some phone contracts for Sue and left the very busy town for the costal path back to Ryhl. Latte and pepperoni pizza from Greggs to help with energy to get back to the camper lol. Ryhl has had some money spent on it since the last time we were here. Back to camp by 2.30 and sunbathing 1st time in 13 days its lovely. Burgers and sausage's left from yesterday and salad of course to balance it out.

I paid my site fees today we are stopping while Monday.

Day 15 Saturday 4th of June

There is a large market thos morning so we are going along the coast on a bike ride and calling back at the market we cycled about 7miles along the coast to a small village called llanglas where they was quite a few motor homes parked up on a car park next to the beach I spoke with one of them who said they stop there regularly and there are public toilet upto 8 o'clock on a night. The market was just like Ingomels market, Sue bought a load of meat that weighed a ton I said we are on bikes and we only have a very small freezer "women" so after cycling back with £20 worth of BBQ meat and we haven't even got a BBQ we compressed it into sizable portions put them in foil and stuffed what we could in the freezer leaving 5 pieces of chicken, 8 burgers, 6 pieces of Chinese chicken and 12 sausages that would not fit in freezer, looks like we will be on Atkins diet for the next 3 days. Its cloudy today but still warm. After dinner of just meat lol

we walked into Ryhl town centre with dogs and called at the the hungry horse pub it was manic it took nearly 20 mins to get served, thus sun dint glad fetch people out. We called at Asda in way back because we have run out of beer at moho, somebody once said we had a alcohol problem, well, we don't struggle to get it when we need it and we don't spill any so I don't think we have a problem with it lol back to camper for a drink and our tea and I don't have to tell you what we are having lol. He's a pic

and its all for me because Sue is doing hers in the oven because its healthier and less calories so she can then have more strongbow lol.

Day 16 Sunday 5th of June 2016

Breakfast was sausages, burgers, chicken and mushrooms in am already fed up of eating and theres a load left in fridge to eat within a couple of days.

Absolutely beautiful day today not a cloud in site, sunbathing for a couple of hours then its too warm to lay in it, I never thought I would be saying that lol. Decided to trap off on bike on my own, set off along coast through Ryhl, Adergele, pensarn, colwyn bay,

Rhos on sea and finally Llandudno and there was a lot more hills than I thought there was going to be, I am absolutely shattered the sun is quite hot though as you can see not a cloud in site.

On way back I was that tired I got off and walked and that was on the flat, what's happened to me. It took me ages to get back I had nothing left in my legs. I did get slightly lost coming out of Llandudno I followed signs for Colwn bay leading to the A55 i didnt realize that the A55 is like a motorway and your not allowed on it with a bike. 33 miles in total but didn't enjoy ride back. More Chinese chicken for tea and watched Soccer Aid it was a enjoyable match.

Day 17 Monday 6th of June

Another beautiful morning we are moving today but only about 15 miles to Llandudno area, we set off about 12 calling at Colwyn bay and Ross on sea, before parking up on the promenade at Llandudno.

Llandudno was busy than I thought it was going to be due to kids back at school today. We are sat at the moment at the end if the pier with the dogs by our side eating ice scream in the beautiful sunshine, who could ask for more. We went to camp for the night at tyn-Bryn farm another CS the road to it was reminiscent of south France when we went wrong up a mountain only one digit out on the sat nav makes a huge difference to where you end up, these roads "tracks" were single width no passing places apart from the odd field entrance, we wound around them turning left then right and again people in there little cottage gardens looking at us with a look that said where do you think your going lol. We did get to the site which was on a slope with nothing around it. The views of the coast were very nice but you couldn't really visit anywhere from it without a car, so we turned around and left the site and when to a car park on the beach at Llandulas and stayed there the night and watched the sun go down on the beach

my seat for the evening

and we saved £14 on site fees as well. It was amazing I sat for 2 hours just watching the tide change direction and watching the sky change almost minute by minute so peaceful and calming this IS living the dream.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
These last pages have been our adventure for a couple of years before we decide to take the camper to France.
We enjoyed all the area's you've been enjoying. Had to park the camper a lot in that car park I pensarn but I see barriers are now there.
We've found France to be a more camper friendlier place and a lot of Aires are free with views, landscaping and sometimes free electric! We spend more time there now. Spain for the winter.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Have also just been granted a 2 year career break - starting in September, partly inspired by reading your thread and particularly your pictures.
Really exited about some nice long motor homing trips with no fixed end date.
Glad to here the thread has been of use and glad to here people are reading it lol.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
These last pages have been our adventure for a couple of years before we decide to take the camper to France.
We enjoyed all the area's you've been enjoying. Had to park the camper a lot in that car park I pensarn but I see barriers are now there.
We've found France to be a more camper friendlier place and a lot of Aires are free with views, landscaping and sometimes free electric! We spend more time there now. Spain for the winter.
England is years behind France and Spain and I don't understand why. The two days we wild camped on the beach car park at Llandulas we spent £80 locally n a pub a cafe and local shops that's got to be good for the area.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Day 18 Tuesday 7th of June

Woke to slight drizzle this morning the tide was out again took dogs for a walk and then set off for Bangor. Now I'm not sure if I took the wrong road in or the wrong road out but we didn't see anything there was no water in the Maine straight or what every they call it so we went straight on to our next campsite at Beddgelert a Caravan and camping clubs camping in the forest site £17.50 a night ouch, its a good job we wildcamped last night lol.

Lovely site though pitched amongst the trees, which makes sense seeing as its a forest site lol. We struggled to find information about local walks which I thought was very poor, however we walked down the road for about mike and came across the actual village of beddgelert, very much like Burnsal in the Yorkshire dales very picturesque quite a few pubs and icecream sales. Sarencens arms did nice larger "did someone mentions walks lol"

we got back to the camper and the flies we everywhere and midges by the millions, we looked around the camp site and no one sat out in the warm evening sunshine and the midges explained why. We played rummy cub and cards the rest of the evening and once again Sue hammered me, I'm going to have to change my tack ticks. For anyone visiting this camping in the forest site where they advertise peace and tranquillity, they have a small sewerage plant in site that has a motor that runs 24/7 and echoes through the camp at night which I like it to being parked next to an wagon with its fridge unit on all night. Sue went to reception to complain and tell them that we were going to move today due to the noise and once again the good old camping and caravan club make it as hard as possible to get a refund. I will let you know how I get on.

Day 19 Wednesday 8th of June

We packed up amongst the midges and set off towards Bala. The scenery is amazing it has bits of the dales, the lakes and Scotland all rolled into one passing through Portmadog we stopped at the side of a reservoir for lunch.

Arriving in Bala we looked for a camp site and the only one less than £24 per night was another certificated site at £17 at the other end of Bala lake in Llanuwchllyn, with shower toilet electric etc and beautiful views of the valley and lake.

and the best view lol.

A arctic wagon had jackknifed on the junction of the camp site so we watched what was happening there for about an hour, then walked into the village which is picture postcard very quiet, we found a pub called the Eagle and tried the alcoholic beverages. The meals also liked very nice but we had already eaten. There is a steam railway from this village around the lake. We will have a ride on it tomorrow.

Day 20 Thursday 9th of June

Up this morning and out with dogs in lovely sunshine with mist over the mountain's. We took the steam train ride in to Bala £10.50 return £1 per dog

spent a few hours in Bala had the obligatory tall latte with a hot scone with butter clotted cream and strawberry jam mmm living the dream lol. Followed later by a pint and the train ride back. We sat at the back going and the front coming back, front is better because you can here the puff puff of the steam engine better. We were going on a bike ride when we got back, but its two warm lets have a drink instead. Chicken madras for tea and the odd midge thrown in. We have not been able to leave the kennel door open due to the amount of midges on a night, I have been bit about 30 times so far, so I'm looking forward to moving back to the cost tomorrow.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Day 21 Friday 10th of June

Misty morning with clouds over the tops. We gave to camper a good cleanout today and the moved 20 miles to the coast to a town called Barmouth a small fishing village on the side of a large estuary. We parked on the front in a pay and display at a fiver for 8 hours.

We had a walk on the beach our Benji was straight in the sea chasing the waves again he loves it. A walk north to the end of the built up area there is a large camping site about hundred yards from the beech behind the railway line that's looks ok. We walked through town and had fish and chips'. Put dogs back in the camper and had a ride on the bikes we went north but the road started heading inland so we turned around went back through town and over the wooden railway bridge

and cycle bridge to Fairborne about 10 miles in total. We had ice cream then left and wild camper in a off the road lay-by about 3 and a half miles out of town,

we are going back into town tomorrow it is the start of the Barmouth to fort William yacht race from the harbour at 11am

Day 22 Saturday 11th of June

Up early and back into Barmouth the off road picnic area/layby was actually 5 miles from the town centre very peaceful, when we got back to the car park there was five campers that had obviously been there all night even though there are signs every where saying no motorhomes or caravans from 11pm to 8am ?. We saw a car and caravan get a ticket because they hadn't got a ticket for the caravan, what the warden didn't know is that they had been there all night.

Barmouth is a very nice town, nice beach and sea, the town has shops selling everything you could avey need. I read on the internet that it was not motorhome friendly at all and people should keep away there was loads here and they didn't get parking tickets even though technically the were taking two bays. The sun was shinning again in the afternoon when the 3peaks yatch race had left.

They sail from here to Carnarvon and then cycle and run the Snowdon mountain, then sail from Carnarvon to whiteheaven and cycle to the bottom and then run up Scarfell peak and cycle back to Whitehaven continuing their sailing all the way to fort William then run to the top of Ben Nevis. Now that's a race. We spen the afternoon in Barmouth with a decision of whether we should stay or go to Aberystwyth. We decided to go and I'm not sure that was the right decision, the drive of 40 miles took us almost two hours, small winding road hills, hills and more hills, we then couldnt decide where to stop, I didn't like the type of coast its all cliffs no beaches as such. So we varied in the New Quay and stopped for the night on a site with slopes.

We did well to get up the wet grass and left it where it got to, pitched up only to find we have no water on board and I'm not risking moving it so I was like a tugger and carrying water. By the way although I moaned about the journey down here the scenery was beautiful. We can't decide now whether to go back north and start making our way home or continue south in a circle and then home. We are useless, we will never hang ourselves.

heres a few more photos of the yatchs taken on a good camera lol.

Day 23 Sunday 12th of June

It rained most of the night we woke at 7.30 and had a walk down in to the village. All the houses are painted different colours. The small village in steep down to the sea and very picture post card, it reminds me of Devon and Cornwall where a road off the main road will take you to a village or camp site and you have to go back to the main road the get to the next village. Nothing was open on the sea front well I was only 8am.

We packed up and still hadn't decided where we were going and to be fair part of the adventure was the uncertainty and the ability to decide left it right at the next junction it was grate to start with, now its a nightmare.

We set off on out way back to the north and Rhyl 120 miles the journey as far as scenery is fantastic but it took us nearly 5 hours and about 2 million gear changers.

WP_20160611_015.jpg

An hour from Ryhl we rang the campsite we are going to and its full, so we wild camper on the beach again all other campsite in area want between £25 and £40 per night no thanks. We parked up on the car park on the beach took the dogs a walk then got the bikes off and did a few miles finishing at the Fair View public house. in Llandulas

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Hi there peoples I'm not sure what's happened but I have just been reminiscing looking at our blog, (OH how I cant wait to go back touring) and I have notice its missing they last few days of our tour so I will add them shortly.

By the way I have booked the whole of September off work, we are thinking of going to Switzerland Italy and south of France. any info or advice would be gratefully appreciated.

We have had weekends away since we came back, but we are baby sitting more than anything at the moment. we stopped at Cawood near York for 5 days over the new year and really enjoyed it but 2 or 3 nights will be enough next year, drinking every day for 5 days on the trot is not good.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Day 24 Monday 13th of June

Quite a windy night followed be drizzle this morning it is forecast the same for the next four days. We are going to a laundrette today I've never been in one in my life so there's a first. We found one in Pensar a couple of mikes away £4 for a large wash and 50p to dry them bargain it took all our mucky clothes and the bedding in one wash. I want to mucky some clothes so I can go again lol.

Weather is still very poor so we head off into Chester we are going to stop there tonight. We arrived at the little roodee car park at around 3.30 didn't want to get here till after 5 so dint plan that well, will have to pay £4 to get us to after 5pm, then it is only £1.50 untill 7am in the morning and you are allowed to sleep in camper. I wasn't sure what to do as it is one of them take ticket and then pay when you leave, so I didn't know whether I should pay and pull out of car park then re-enter after 5. I rang the council and she said just keep that ticket and the machine will charge the appropriate charges for time in the car park so it should be £4 up to 5 and then £1.50 to 7am and then £4 up to 11am when we plan to leave giving us another quick walk round in the morning. I'll let you know if it works as simple as that. We had a nice walk round with digs and walked along the canal which fetched back some lovely memories of our time on the canals.

We then followed the cycle track around Chester approx. 5 miles before downing a lovely Rogan josh followed by the amber nectar.

Day 25 Tuesday 14th of June

Up at 7 out around Chester race course with dogs and then we went for breakfast in Chester. We stayed untill 1 o'clock and were charged £10.50 in total for car park which I think is a good deal, well done Chester council. We arrived at Delamere camping and caravan club site at 1.30
to a friendly reception, we have wild camped the last two night mainly through bad planning without water lol, so boy are we glad to be on a site with facility, we pitched up and gave the camper a good clean and then this happened. its a video so not sure if it will work.

And continued for the evening and most of the night very stuffy muggy night.

Day 26 Wednesday 15th of June

Beautiful morning up at 8 and into the forest with dogs some lovely walks, we found the visitors centre and then followed the Red route took us around the forest for about 4 miles then sues says I'm sure we passed a pub on our way to the camp yesterday

so I said ok take me to it, 2 miles later we arrived at the pub. We walked further to the pub than we did on the walk lol.

The sun is shinning, nice music and shade for the dogs. Feeling a bit peckish even though we have had bacon mushrooms and egg this morning. So I got gammon and chips and Sue got Sirloin steak and chips and its only 12.30 in the afternoon I'm really spoiling her now lol.

When we got back to camper we had done just short of 8 miles and it had cost us over £35 now that's an expensive walk. Chairs out and sat in the sun, we remarked that we have been away for 26 days and probably only sat in sun about 4 times. Rummycub the rest of the evening.

Day 27 Thursday 16th of June

Quick walk in forest with dogs because we are going round the forest on the bikes we didn't manage it yesterday because the pub got in the way. We followed the white route 7 easy miles, until we got lost we did eventually get back with the help of the map on endomundo but we did 11 miles.

It started to rain so we took refuge in the visitors centre with a latte and fruit cake. And it rained just like last Tuesday. After about 30 mins it had slowed to a acceptable level and we cycled back. We were going to the pub to watch England and Wales play but due to weather called it a day watched a film and played games rest of the day.

Day 28 Friday 17th of June

Our last day at Delamere forest so giving the camper a good tidy up this morning weathers ok so far. I have lots and lots of bites on my legs, I've never been bitten like I have this time and boy do they itch. Sue got a pen this morning and was going to play dot to dot with them lol. We set off about 12 taking the A49, M56,M60,M62,M1,A1,A64 and that's because we are going to shock oops I mean surprise Sues brother he has booked on a site near York this weekend,
The Derwent arms £6 a night it a large field at the back of the pub 1.5 miles from York on the Way of the Roses Cycle way. We stocked up at Morrisons and pitched up just after 3 and waited for then to arrive.

We went into the pub and got a pint so that when they came to book in. We would be sat there, we finished the pint and thought they must be running late, so Sue phoned them and pretended to be somewhere else and asked them if the weather was ok in York, they said "oh we have changed our minds we decided not to go" we said we know we are sat here waiting to surprise you. We only stopped the one night and then returned home the next morning.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hi there peoples I'm not sure what's happened but I have just been reminiscing looking at our blog, (OH how I cant wait to go back touring) and I have notice its missing they last few days of our tour so I will add them shortly.

By the way I have booked the whole of September off work, we are thinking of going to Switzerland Italy and south of France. any info or advice would be gratefully appreciated.

We have had weekends away since we came back, but we are baby sitting more than anything at the moment. we stopped at Cawood near York for 5 days over the new year and really enjoyed it but 2 or 3 nights will be enough next year, drinking every day for 5 days on the trot is not good.
I've enjoyed reading about your trip in Wales and know lake Bala well having camped there and sailing with Robs family boat years ago. We have walked the railway line at night to the Eagle and enjoyed a drink or two ! Years ago that area was alcohol free on a Sunday!!!

NeilEmma

Free Member
Oct 31, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Arapaho
Exp
September 2016
We set off in September for a 12 month career break around Europe. Neil sold his shops and I handed in my notice at work. We have two young children so it was now or never before we got stuck in the school system. We are now talking about keeping on going for another year or moving somewhere, possibly near Alicante, for the girls to grow up bilingual and enjoy just playing outdoors in the sun! Enjoy your adventure!

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
That sounds great, how's it going so far, I carnt wait for our next long outing. We loved it around Alicante. Are you doing a blog, they are great to look back on lol

Reactions: f6c

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back