Starting a 12 month career break to go motorhoming (1 Viewer)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We were enjoying reading your adventures so it to come to such a sad and sudden end must be devasting for you. Thoughts are with you at the passing of your Mum.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Thank you funsters for all your lovely comments, I wasn't sure if any one was really interested in our daily routine, I know I like reading others, we will defo be back down south, it was great and although we have only managed 5 weeks so far. The purpose of the trip was to work out a budget and to see if we would like living rather than being on holiday and the trip served its purpose. Many different ideas are going through our heads now though having spoken with many lovely people who all do it differently, I would not have considered staying in one place for a month or more, but now I would. at the minute we have a motorhome and our transport is feet or cycling and local buses but not with dog. I like the idea of a smaller camper and caravan, caravan on site for a month or longer and campervan to tour from each base, even with the possibility of staying out a couple of days now and then. We didn't see no where near enough of the local areas

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Condolences on the loss of your mum and hope you get back on your travels soon.

Kath

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
January 2016

Hello and good morning, after the saddest 3 weeks of my life so far we are back on the road, the intention was to ferry back to Santander and drive towards the sun, but after many attempts to book a ferry with no success I had to contact Brittany ferries by email and they replied that they had no ferries available for my requirements I.e. Because we have a dog and all kennels are booked up until at least the 20th of February. I had contemplated joining the Brittany ferries club voyager because we would save quite a bit even with only two crossing a year but I'm glad I didn't seeing as I cannot get a boat.

So off to Dover it is, on the P & O spirit of France to Calais and then the 1100 or so miles to Valencia, we are using the tolls on the way down to get to the warmer weather quicker but won’t use tolls on way back and then that way we will have tried 3 different routes to south Spain.
We set off at 17.30 on Monday the 18th of January traffic was heavy at first but eased off passed the M18. My route is A1, A14, M11, M25, M20, A20 and all was fine until the M20 junction 8 to 9 is closed so a detour along with about 300 wagons, it took ages at one bit we didn't move for 20 mins, arriving in Dover at 12.15am, 7 hour later. Parking up for the night outside the shops on the left hand side as you come down the hill into Dover looked as good a place as any, if you don't mind the constant rumble of about 100 Lorries every 15 mins lol.
Alarms set for 5.45 and joined the queue of Lorries waiting to enter the port. We checked in at 6.40 no one checked the dog or his chip. The sea was nice and calm and the sun was just showing through in the distance towards France.

We docked in Calais at 10 15 local time there was lots of police activity and TV camera around the jungle.

On we continued wanting to get to somewhere near Orleans tonight. Quite a bit of rain on the way down which just proves why we are going to Spain lol. We arrived at Clermont near Lyon pulling of the A75 To stop at a campsite 1998 acsi As we pulled of the A75 onto an unlit B road, I couldn't see a thing, I had put some new light deflectors on at dover and I didn't think much of them, they were different to ones I've used before, they were more solid with silver checks on them and as soon as I can change them they are coming off, they almost stop any light coming through so it was hard work pulling into the small village at 7 o'clock at night. We wild camped next to a petange/sports field and was in bed for about 9. We set the alarm for an early start so we could be in Spain for tonight so up at 6 it was still pitch black and we set off on the A75 only travelling for an hour and then stopped at an Aire for breakfast and to watch the sun rise.
Forgetting were not in Spain yet and its cloudy and miserable so no sunrise to see. The scenery along the A75 is stunning its now very hilly so its uphill's, downhill's and viaducts but what a view and I hadn't realized that the A75 takes you over the Millau viaduct, we have been over it before but we didn't stop and view it we just drove over it on our way to Montpellier, so I said this time I want to stop and take a good look at it. The weather was still dull and quite foggy on the tops, lots of snow all around us

and Sue said will it be worth stopping as the weather gave us limited vision and we would be able to se the bridge anyway,

I said we have come all this way we are stopping in the Millau Bridge Aire.

Last time we came down this road you could see the bridge from miles away and today nothing

so I'm thinking maybe Sue is right but we will see. We entered the toll and took the road down to the Aire, we could see nothing,
we parked up and looked up towards the bridge, nothing,

we walked up the steep climb to the level of the bridge, nothing, Sue says are we going now we can’t see anything, The bridge is in the back ground, honest

not wanting to be wrong again I said No lets just give it 10 more mins I've got friends in high places lol and 5 mins after that this is what we saw WOW.

From then the hills got bigger and the drops got steeper we crossed the border into Spain at 2.30 and the sun was shining.

We were going to go on to Valencia but i suggested cutting across to Palamos on the coast, we have been here before and liked it, the camp site we used last time a acsi side is closed so we may wild camp after two nights wild camping I could get used to it.

We arrived in Palamos at about 4 o'clock went towards the acsi campsite because u knew of some streets that we could wild camp on, but we spotted a camp site that was open and after no shower or shave for 2 nights I thought a site would be a good idea. We pitched up no one in reception so we went out for a walk to the beach

and then into town for a couple of the local beers just catching the sun as it went down first night in Spain.

we were still sat outside at 9 oclock

Last edited:
OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Day 2 Thursday Jan 21camper park Palamos

After a lovely nights sleep woke up to sun shine dog was ready for a walk so no coffee in bed lol. When I got back I could hear water running at the back of the camper, further investigations revealed a smash waste pipe, the only thing I can think of was a piece of tyre on the motorway I hit it with the front wheel and then I with the back but it must have hit the pipe and not the wheel half you later with a bit of pipe I found some gaffa tape and tie raps a temporary job that will last forever.

We had a walk down into town, its a very busy little town lots of various shops that sell everything you can think of. The prom is quite long and the town has two parts one end small shops and then the far end is more lidl, markardo, dia etc. Couple of obligatory stops at the sea from bars then back to the camper, although much warmer than England a light jacket was required when out of the sun, us being picky means we will be going further south tomorrow.

Day 3 Friday 22 Jan acsi 2708 Peniscola

Cleaned camper while waiting for reception to open then paid our dues and left for sunnier climate, we have picked peniscola a coastal resort that we have visited before, some 203 miles south using the tolls for ease and speed. Almost at our destination Sue says have we to go straight to Benidorm instead, so a lenthy discussion was had and we were going to carry on to Benidorm another 200 miles further south then Sue says are you sure you want to drive another 3 hours, well I'm no good at making decisions and now she's put dout in my mined I said no decision made we are going to Benidorm ring up and book us in. Ha ha decision made they are booked up till February, ok then lets try Marjal at Guadamar. Guess what also booked up so peniscola it is.

Arrived at site acsi 2708 paid 11 euros a night with electric which is 2 euros cheaper than the acsi book. So it may be worth checking before you show your acsi card how much there normal charges are.

1st impressions not so good very tight site with motorhome tried several pitches before I fitted on one and then only just, toilet facilities ok not brill but did the job ok. Small bar on site only sells bottled beer and felt like sat in owners front room, I think the family had come to visit the bar man. We didn't fill up with water at last site so as not carrying 50 kg of water for 200 miles and after trying several pitches and finally getting it on one, I connected electric, turned gas on and then remembered we have no water derr. There was no way I was taking moho back of the pitch to fill up so after six jerry cans carried from the tap, I wont forget again lol . Home cooked pizza for tea mmm. A game of monopoly took the rest of the night ha ha you can guess who won.

Day 4 Saturday 23rd of Jan peniscola

Woke up to 2 very loud explosion type bangs follow by lots of shorts bursts of smaller bangs at 8.30 I thought there was some sort of terrorist attack that's just what it sounded like and sorry I never did find out what it was lol.

We both took dog out before breakfast and basically didn't return, we walked along promenade into Benicarlo spent a while around the marina had a coffee, at one bar then coffee and bun at another for breakfast, then stayed there and had a drink and sandwich for dinner followed by a free tapas of calamari legs and all. No me gusta.

We walked back along the promenade right to the far end and to the castle and harbour stoping for dinner, well the first dinner was only a sandwich, then we walked up the castle before walking through the town to the macardo and back to the site. another day in paradise finished of with fried beef sandwiches and getting hammered at cards. We are moving tomorrow to benicasim stopping on the bonterra park, a site we have used before and I know this is supposed to be an exploration of new places but hayho your safe with what you know.

Day 5 Sunday 24th of Jan bonterra park Benicasim

Set off on the short journey about an hour non toll route, tills are much easier and worth the extra but on a short journey like this it hardly makes any difference, we arrived on site to a very full camping park only a few pitches left right at the top end of the site, the ones no one else wants lol. It worked well for us with having the dog as there is a gate at the top end onto the cycle track and onto a disused camping site for exercise for the dog. The pitches at the top are a little over crowded and close to each other but I suppose that's the nature of the beast to get everyone on. When people told me that January is very busy I never realised how busy they meant. All the site south of hear that we know about are booked solid. Once we pitched up we were told about the festival that was ending today and the entertainment that was happening during the day, unfortunately sue didn't get the finer details like times and locations, so we found ourselves wandering about once again not knowing where or when. We did stop at a few bars, along the way, we left the camp at about 2.30 and nothing happened until about 6 by this time we were nearly drunk, we got back to the camper at about 8.30 another quick one and a baileys at the camp bar before the fireworks started at 9 a very good display proceeded by the driving out of the demans of the town folks, with lots of drumming and flashing lights.

Day 6 25th of Jan benicassim bonterra park.

We walked into town yesterday to have a coffee and use WiFi our daughter is having her 12 week scan today and all is well so July will be spent at home along with march because that is when our other daughter is due. It is a little cooler today, Sue went to the reception to see if there are any other pitches available yet as the one we are on is not very big but there wasn't. We called at the pool area which was a very nice suntrap and obviously next to the bar so we had a drink and got talking to a couple from Wales, the next thing I know is it 11pm and im totally drunk and I mean proper spinning drunk leading to a very rough night and an even worse morning.

Day 7 Tuesday 26th of Jan Benidorm benisol

Ouch my head hurts I mean really hurts. Never again. I was sat on the toilet at 6 o'clock this morning with my head in the sink.

We are moving later today to benisol camping at Benidorm, we got a phone call from Kevin and Mags yesterday they had got us a pitch untill 1st of Feb and we would see what's is available after that.

Travelled the 140 or so miles with no problems using tolls again for ease, it seamed a long way but that may have been because I was not well lol. Pitched up and took dog out then Sue says lets go to the site bar to see if our friends are there, I really didn't fancy a pint, but go on then I said but just the one and we only had one, then we went back to the camper for tea and to settle down for the night. Benisol is a nice site good facilities heated toilet blocks nice bar and restaurant.

Day 8 Wednesday 27th of Jan

Sun was shinning good and proper this morning sat outside camper dating breakfast and it was lovely and warm best so far. We met with two of Kevin and mags friends and had a drink before going of for dinner at the peppermill a short walk from our site, daily specials 4€, we then walked into Benidorm front and had a MC flurry. 2 for 3€ with your old bus ticket lol every little helps. We then bused it back well it saves walking and gets us some more cheap Mc Flurry's lol . Settled down with a film for the night. We have been away a week and we haven't really done any walking or cycling apart from one day and I can tell the weight is increasing.

Day 10 Thursday 28th of Jan benisol

Up this morning after quite a cold night took dog for a fast 4 mile walk I have to do something because the amount we are eating doesn't balance with the excersize we are not doing. We called in at reception again which we have to do each morning to see if any more pitches have come available as the one we are on is only until the 1st of Feb. There was nothing and while we were talking to the receptionist the phone rang and I said its ok get the call and has luck has it it was some one cancelling who was coming on Saturday for a month, so the pitch is ours that's being in the right place at the right time. We packed up and moved with in the hour. EE were going on a bike ride with out the dig so we could trap on a bit but once we had set up on the new pitch the sun was shinning and out came the beers so no bike ride to day with Sue using the excuse well we have plenty I time to bike ride now we are he till end of February lol. We ate going to the mandarin wok restaurant tonight with a large group of Ken and Mags friends from another site. Cheap as chips.

Beautiful meal was had spring rolls to start, followed by half chips half noodles with chicken in spicy sauce, prawn crackers 2 glasses of eparrado wine and icecream to finish all for the price of 5.85€, bargain.

Then we visited the showboat that has recently been on TV on "Brits abroad and loving it" it was empty when we got in but soon got a few in as the singer "Jill Ryan" took to the stage and she was very good. Walked back to camp 1.5 mikes in the lovely cool Benidorm air.

Day 11 Friday 29th Jan benisol

Alfa de pi market today, got to do all the local Spanish market although I think they are all the same Sue doesn't.

We cycled there with dog in tow only about 4 mile round trip, small bit descent enough market, clothes were very cheap, we finished the market of with a quick walk around town. Dinner at camper. We were told that there is a nice lighthouse in the coast of albir so we walked there about 9 miles in total all on tarmac it was a lovely walk and scenery

and it worked up an appetite for us because we are going to the hotel Regenta tonight for a meal in Benidorm ill give and update later. In the mean time we walked down the main road that surrounds Benidorm.

The meal at the Regenta was a sight to see, when we entered the hotel foyer there was about 40 elderly people I shall say, that were waiting for the traps to open oop sorry I mean door, the dinning room is down two flights of stairs and when the doors opened It was like a debermans january sale it was a stampede I've scen slower greyhounds out of the traps at Kinsley. Apparently Friday night at most hotels is gala night which means as much free cava you can drink with the evening meal and boy can they drink AND eat. You pay 10€ on the door and help yourself to the hotels evening buffet apparently lots of hotels open there door to vultures, oh sorry i mean non residents for meals. I've got to say the food was fantastic and yes i also over did it the beef was to die for and at the end of the session people walked back up the stairs back to thier walking sticks and mobility scooters lol. We walked back to the campsite to try and balance food and excersize although we would have had to walk to Gibraltar to balance it properly.

Two pints and a couple of baileys to finish the night off in the site bar.

Another day in paradise.

Day 12 Saturday 30th jan

After another lovely nights sleep, its Saturday and its Cisne market, bargains galore, Sue picked herself a nice leather coat up. I got some dog shampoo because as we set off for the walk to the lighthouse yesterday.

our Defa found something not very nice and rolled in it and you have never smelt anything like it, we had to go to a supermarket get rubber gloves and wet wipes to try and clean him up it was disgusting and when we got back I gave him a quick shower at the motohome on the affected part so that he could come back in the motorhome hence the shampoo this morning so he got a good shower in the on site dog shower today.we had an hour at kevins and mags then sunbathed for an hour, oce the sun had moved off the side of the camper I washed and polished just one side everything in moderation.

We are going on the town tonight just me and Sue, Saturday night in Benidorm I can feel a dance coming in already well more like a foot tap for me lol. we are getting the 9 o'clock bus into the centre. We got off the bus which looked like a good spot and quite a few others got of also so we thought we are ay the right place. It just seemed that no one knew where to go but after a walk along a few streets we found a few lively bars, boom, boom, boom I thought what are we doing here, there's people falling about all over the place then we say a bar that was lively but still civilized, so in we went, a male singer quite good doing a wide variety of music we thought good choice.

There was a group of younger people ha ha of course there was, there always is a group younger than us these days. Two lads out of the group were totally out of it and they were on the dance floor they couldn't hold them selves up but all they tried to do was lift a couple of young lasses up in the air, a nonstop high five with the singer and stumbling and bumping into each other while there mates encouraged them on. Umm not for us, its not our type of a good night out any more so as we left we passed a few more boom boom bars and headed back the the more civilized rook and roll bar which was heaving when we got there and Dave Ryan was performing and a good night was had all-round unfortunately no kebab was had due to food shops being closed when we eventually left. I don't know what time we got in but all gates in site were looked and security let us in

Day 13 Sunday 31st of Jan

The sun is belting down this morning best we have had so far so quick walk with dog and sat out in sun. Sue suggests a game of tenis so we did, well when I say a game it was more like I hit the ball and then Sue picks it up from the edge of the court I think she had a hole in her racket lol,

Cisne was the next thing on the agenda live entertainment free flowing beer and chips this combination is not good tomorrow we start to cut down in the intake.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
I say tomorrow because we are waiting for another couple driving down from France and arriving this afternoon and we be eating out for a change, Rob and Caril arrived safe and we walked into Benidorm not sure where we were going to eat and guess what we did eat,....... Yes at the mandarin Chinese again lol. I had spicey beef this time once again very nice. Lets have a pint on the way home someone said in the Yorkshire pride 3 billy is in there, si we had one in there then me and Sue went next door to the tropical bar to watch Jersey boys said our good night to the others, we had a couple in there, Before we set of walking home we check next door at the YP 3 and the others were still there so we had another. this was the sun set as we walked to the Mandarin.

Day 14 Monday 1 of Feb

Didn't get up till 10 o'clock this morning I carnt keep doing this so I'm going to set my alarm in the morning for 8 and go for a good walk. Sue says beer free day today, we will se how ling that idea lasts. We are going to another campsite today ALMAFRA to do some line dancing ��. Well we were shown 5 dancers and I understood 2 of them so I suppose that's not bad for a fist time.

we got there a little early and Rich went to the bar, I thought heres the tester, hi Sue "what would you like to drink", COFFEE please, was the answer so I followed suit. The dancing if you could call it that lasted about an hour and then back to the bar and Rob said what would you like to drink Sue as Kevin was blowing over the top if his lager glass into Sues face, a tea please and I had a coffee, so far so good. It was decided then that we would go into Benidorm to a tapas bars and then on to Michaels bar in the old town for something to eat. I ran back to the site to take defa out while the others strolled back and then it will be the number 10 bus into Benidorm. At last a bit of excersize, only 1.1 mile run but every little helps as they say at Tesco's.

Well we got to this tapas bar and it was 5€ for a bottle of wine and 5 tapas so although it was a beer free day technically we haven't had beer lol.

We are going to do 2 half days instead of one full day lol. The tapas bar was gr EE at the atmosphere was fantastic people singing songs from each country finishing with viva La espana, later a Spanish gent came to our table and thanked us he said he loves viva espana and it moved him when we all sang it. The taps bar is called Zodiac from there we had a walk around the old town

and on the Michael's a English cafe/bar serving home made pies, fish and home made chips

, I would certainly recommend both but not one after the other I am totally stuffed.

A nice Stoll along the prom and a coffee at a sea front bar before getting the number 10 bus back home,

Day 15 Tuesday 2nd of Feb

Today is a special day alarm set for 8am up and walking boots on, we are going to walk to Albir and then up the mountain to be top of the governor and then all the way along the tops to the Cross in Benidorm and back to camp site. We set off had a coffee and cuassaunt, crasaiunt, French bun. Then up the hill we go, started off ok then got to a bit of a climb and then a hands and knees scramble. When at the top, Benidorm and Albir look very small and quite close lots of photos to follow. The views are muy guapo.

We met 3 Spanish climbers at the top they had come from the direction we were going we took each others photos and on our way as they left they said "buene suerte" not sure what that means but I wish I had looked it up, it means good luck and they weren't just being polite. We set off right along the edge of the mountain a sheer drop into the sea photos to follow, it it only got more and more scary Sue was quite scared the inclines were very steep and very close to the edge, we had done about 3 ups and 3 downs and I was now scared but we were at a point of no return I asked her if she wanted to turn back it was very scary, she said no, dam it I though, I did lol. We carried on and on and on, Benidorm is not getting any closer and more and more ups and downs very steep ones. Eventually we saw the Benidorm Cross what a relief although still along way to go. This walk, hike, climb is not for the faint hearted. Its only about 9 miles but its the hardest and scariest walk we have every done and we have done the Yorkshire 3 peaks and Ben Nevis. My endomundo says we have burned 700 calories it can get stuffed more like 1700. A sandwich in Subway at the bottom of the hill and then a pint half way home at the peppermill. Showered and back out there is no stopping us lol. We went for an indian but ended up in the mandarin chinese again followed by the rock and roll bar and tropical bar..

the dog was tired as well bless him

Day 16 Wed 3rd of Feb

Aching a little this morning we were up early its a chores day today, washing, drying, cleaning out the camper and dong some shopping. We took the washing and put it in the machine, entered the correct money and hey presto that it, how easy is this "I've been busy all day doing the washing* lol. Coffee at kev & mags, u didn't say we couldn't mix chores with pleasure, bikes and dog trolley out and off the the local Medway wholesale supermarket, it is a wholesalers but they do sell to anyone now, €72 later that's equivalent to 14 Chinese meals at the mandarin. Everything we spend now, gets equated against the cost of a Chinese at the mandarin. Shopping packed away floor hovered and dusted round, that's the chores done fir now so we checked the washing and that had also finished, we hung that out to dry and while we wait for that to dry we called at kev and mags again and the others were there so we didn't move much further, washing wasn't quite dry by the end of play so we decorated the camper with it hanging from every hook, handle and shelve. Only had breakfast so far to day food wise anyway so off the a new indian place to try.
Kev & Mags knows the owner who only opened up the restaurant last week he used to work at another restaurant further down the road.
The food was very good but he needs a women's touch regarding making the place look more appealing. i.e. Table cloth's, lighting, music, warm the plate's, wrap cutlery in napkins, it was amateurish but then its been open a week and the main thing was that the food was good. On to thee beers friend bar for a baileys and coffee followed by a pint then home to watch a film. We got the bus back because both me and Sue are struggling to walk after yesterday our muscles are seizing up.

Day 17 Thursdays 4th of Feb

Up at 7.30 although we didn't get much sleep, the seizing up us now pure pain. Every muscle hurts, Sue hares me know lol, even the dog keeps sighing so I think he's feels the same. We are giving him a day off today and biking it to the old town then walking around the shops, there's lots of shops on lots of streets that all look the same. Sue got in to have her hair done so I wandered about the streets for ages and kept checking if she was done but no and no and no then finally she emerges frim the shop hair looking all nice . Its not very warm today and I am cold so I think a coffee in a nice bar somewhere is a good idea. As we walked down the street guess what we found, the same tapas bar we went in the other night ha ha no coffee just a bottle of rosé and 5 tapas. And then another 2 tapas before we bikes home because Mags phone to say they were going out for tea at 4.30 si we bikes the 2 miles or so showered dressed and out for 4. We got the bus to ALFAS DEL PI a small village about 3 miles away to a bar called Da jar vu, I'm sure I've been there before lol. We had a small meal of vegetable soup followed by braised steak dinner and coffee it was in the small side but was only 5.95€ so who can complain. Back on the number 10 bus, into the centre of Benidorm to Rio park connect bar.

There was a male duo on who did more talking than singing and were quite crude. We managed to make a dash for the last bus and home

Day 18 Friday 5th of Feb

Out on bikes today with dog in tow, we are going to see how far it I to Poloc another small town that has a big market on a Sunday morning, it is towards the mountains we cycled to Alfas del Pi and started to cycle up hill out of the village and it just continues up and up and up so we never made it, we did about 2 miles up hill and turned back and went to Albir it was easier. One o'clock is line dance practise at ken and mags and we did acrually learn something we can now do the 4 step and the Charlston, we started to learn the 1 step forward and 2 steps back ore practise required, we were there a could of hours and had a good laugh.

We were then showed a came called Rummikub you need a good memory for this game.

Its Friday so that means Regenta Friday 10€ all you can eat and free cava. The food is lovely.

There is 12 of us now so you can imagine how easy I is to please everyone with where are we going next "not" anyway we settled for the Tropical bar, the singers were Roy Orbison, The Overtones, and two more I carnt reneber there name but it was a brilliant night, a couple of us were doing line dancing at the back

and the singer asked who was in charge and Kev shouted Mags is our trainer and he called for Mags onto the stage to show him how to line dance, which she did without any objections and then he said get you team up here so we all ended up at the front of a packed pub doing the four step, we are famous all ready "Mags Benisol dance troop" lol. We will be doing a regular slot soon. We got in about 2 am after a really good night.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Love reading your blog and it sounds like you are having a great time. Enjoy. The photos of your walk are beautiful, that sky is so blue! Grey and rainy here !

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Day 19 Saturday 6th of Feb

Alam went off at 8 I took dog out and then went back to bed till 11.30 and still had a bad head. I won my first game of Rummikub today against Kev, Mags and Sue he he.
I spent about 2 hours trying to update my blog and all the photos of the mountain climb. We heard there was a carnival in town tonight, at 9 o'clock we set off walking in to town Sue had forgot the name of the street where the carnival was so we walked in to town and wandered about aimlessly again as we normally do and didn't see anything then on the way back we saw a poster and it was in the old town, we have not touched a drop of alcohol today untill we called into the beers friend for a coffee and had a baileys with it, still not bad no beer or wine.

Day 19 Sunday 7th of Feb
I was sat reading my blog this morning as the weather had turned and it was raining outside and quite windy at 8am and I realised that it all seems to be walk drink eat, drink more eat more walk more well it isn't actually like that yes we do, do a lot of eating and drinking and walking, but the things that make doing this special is the time you spend together, almost everything we do here we do together, the little things like sitting outside in the sun in February eating breakfast together. At home I'm usually doing something while Sue finishes what she is doing but by the time she finishes I've started doing something else so she waits for me and she starts something else and before you know it the day has gone. I believe we are living the dream but what is that because everybody's dream is different. I now don't get up for work and because of that I choose what time I get up although I still set my alarm for 8 I choose to do that and then its my choice whether I stay up and go for a walk or get back in bed. The rush in our lives has gone although the day still passes very quickly and we do seem to be busy everyday some of that time is sat doing nothing. We are meeting people on an almost daily basis all with something in common and some of them have become very good friends, no one appears stressed everybody takes time to talk, the big advantage to motor homing is diversity we came to Benidorm for a week and then stayed a month because we were and still are enjoying it, when we stopped at quieter places we enjoyed them and then moved on somewhere else, when we say to people back home we are still in Benidorm they say "its rubbish carnt you find anywhere better" we have the sun, we have quiet chilling, we have lots of shops, lots of bars, lots of entertainment, so each day can be different if you want it to be. While I'm typing this into my phone I'm sat out side the camper at 10am in shorts and a tea shirt in brilliant sun shine its still a bit windy but who cares lol.
At 11.30 We got our stuff ready to go to the indoor pool and called ay Kevs to check what time for dinner tonight and ended up staying there untill 3.45 and we were booked in for dinner at 4.30 so everybody left and rushed about and met back up again 20 mins later, 4 course Sunday lunch at Deja vu 10.95€ lovely.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
You are living the dream! Keep enjoying it I like to read all the blogs of people's trips! Thanks for posting!:sun: Glad you've had sun! It's raining and windy here!!

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
You are living the dream! Keep enjoying it I like to read all the blogs of people's trips! Thanks for posting!:sun: Glad you've had sun! It's raining and windy here!!
Thanks for the interest, it started just so the kids could follow us and we are supposed to be touring but its too good to leave at min and we have the rest of our lives to tour lol this may sound sad but I also like reading the blog it reminds me what we did because I forget and its like doing it again

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Day 19 Monday 8th Feb

We have had another discussion and agreed that we we eating and drinking and putting weight on so action is needed, when we came away last time we walked more and cycled more, ate and drank less so the balance is not good. So today we got up and took dog out on a 4.2 mile round trip to McDonalds in Albir had a coffee and brisk walk back, we are going to log it on My Fitness Pal and then we will see if it balances, rather than stop eating as much I would rather excersize more.

Breakfast sat in beautiful sun shine

and then to Almafra for Line Dancing. We were shown a couple more dancers today for us to learn, I'm into this line dancing so I wrote the dancers down so that we could practice them for next week don't forget we are famous now and we have a reputation to keep.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
A drink before the dancing and a pint afterwards before walking home. We are eating in, today home made SpagBol, Mmm. Chilled out then and watch a film after a game of cards.

Day 19 Tuesday 9th of Feb

Bean awake most of night I started with a sort throat yesterday and boy is it bad this morning its like swallowing broken glass. So I am miserable and I'm doing nowt so theres nowt to write good night lol

Sue is happy because I'm not talking at all. Today is a easy alcohol free day.

Day 20 Wednesday 10 Feb

Alcohol free day yesterday and not much food either. I'm no better today which is really annoying because its Ricks birthday today and everyone is starting the day with full English followed by line dancing, Rummikub and the obligatory few drinks then in the the Mandarin Chinese tonight, Now that's sounds like my kind of day but we are not going because of my throat. So I'm staying in and going to sulk all day.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Oh dear sorry to hear you are ill !!What even a beer or two and a Chinese won't heal it?!! It is Chinese New Year so would be rude not to!!!:dance2::drinks:

Last edited:
OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Oh dear sorry to hear you are ill !!What even a beer or two and a Chinese won't heal it?!! It is Chinese New Year so would be rude not to!!!:dance2::drinks:
well I did actually manage a Chinese last night but no beer had too much medication, I feel a bit better this morning but not 100 % suns not showing its self like it should be but its still warm, I thinks its not coming out in sympathy with me being ill lol

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Glad you're enjoying yourselves, a great read! :)
Don't want to be a party pooper but a pint of beer is 180 calories and a mile walk isn't much more than 100 calories. So you can see, as is well known I fear, you won't lose any weight just by exercise alone. Really annoying isn't it? ;)

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
I did actually make it to the mandarin no alcohol though I've taken too many painkillers.
Ricks birthday pics.

Day 21 Thursday 11th February
still sore with throat, Sue gone to market while I stay in camper and sulked, weather still not very good, warm but overcast and windy. Roger and Carol invited us to threes for sirloin steak dinner, so we gladly accepted it was beautiful and so was the mediational whiskeys and brandy's.
Day 22 Friday 12th February
I am feeling a little better today the throat pain is starting to subside, you see the medication I drank last night has worked, lol. we set off to walk to the far beach in Benidorm because I was feeling a bit better but only got into the centre and I was shattered so we cut it short Sue had a few beers and I had coffee and set off back tot he camper and straight to bed for a couple of hours, im still not right yet, got up at 6pm and showered and out to the Marina Hotel for the evening meal Sue had a bottle o wine to herself I had water. when the other finished there meal they all set off to get the bus bak to camp Sue and I said we are going around town for a drink, each bar we came to was busy lots of people, lots of noise, I am not ready for this yet I said so we just walked and ended up getting the same bus as the others back to camp only we had walked half way home. we called in the camp bar and had my first pint for 3 days.
Day 23 Saturday 13th February
Pain almost gone now voice almost back to normal and I'm glad because its Paella day on the camp site. it all started at around 1pm a massive Paella pan and free Sangria all curtsey of the site management. it was a brilliant afternoon and went on quite late into the evening I drank and ate all day, its is confirmed I am Back.

We retired back to Rick and Anita's for a night cap of brandy and on to a lovely nights sleep.

Day 24 Sunday 14th February

Full English breakfast to start the day I have some catching up to do lol

we are out this afternoon down Benidorm a going away drink for Terry and Wendy who are leaving Benisol tomorrow for Javea.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Glad to hear you are on the mend! A medicinal brandy always works! That is the biggest paella dish I've ever seen ! What a great atmosphere , everybody joining in! Free sangria sounds good! You and Sue are having a great time!:)

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Day 25 Monday15th of February

We had a fantastic afternoon out yesterday meeting up with another 2 couples that were long time friends of Terry and Wendy's, visiting bars along the sea front. White Lion. Daytona, to name but a few. finishing it off with a delicious Chicken madras. How nice is the view from the bar.

I have found another nice walk for the dog it runs along the hill side from the roundabout nearest El Sisne and comes out at Arena Blanca camp site its about 4 miles most off the lead. Line dancing again today and we have not practiced once since last week. there's a lot of cyclist out on the roads at this time of year.

We only have 2 weeks left now before we return to the UK for the birth of our 5th grandchild.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
another brilliant day we have had today, A nice steady walk to Almafra, line dancing, another nice steady walk back having a good cal along the way, changed and into Albir to the Tepenyaky, Chinese come Japanese restaurant, all you can eat and drink for 13.95euro each.

on to McDonalds for a McFlurry, well it is next door and Tepenyaky don't do sweets. back to Kev & Mags for a couple of three drinks to round the night off.

Day 26 Tuesday 16th of February

We are going out on bikes today heading towards a beach the other side of Benidorm called La Cala, we started on the main road into old town and then kept to the outskirts of Benidorm, we thought we had gone far enough round and headed back towards the coast and we still at the second Benidorm beach La Poinent,

so we had to climb over the hill at the far end to reach La Cala beach.

There was a market on in La Cala so as you do we had to visit every stall, then full English breakfast or that's what we thought, we got scrambled egg and Bacon 10 Euros, get me back to Benidorm lol.

We then cycled along the promenade's back to Benidorm and carried on to Albir and Altea then back to the camp bar after 23 miles of cycling we had earned a couple of pints before the sun dropped and it becomes a bit chilly. we are eating in tonight for a changed and then chilling and watching a film , we cannot keet this holiday type life up everyday.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Day 27 Wednesday 17th February

Up and out with dog this morning, feeling the need to exercise, 4 miles brisk walk the both of us. 518 calories burnt off so I’m ok for a campsite breakfast, only a small one but they are very nice and no pots to wash, see it’s all about balancing it out lol. Coffee at Kev’s and then some home chores to tend to, sat out in sun for an hour before going swimming in the indoor pool and before you know it, its time to get ready for Karaoke at a nearby camp site called Almanello followed with yes you guessed it another meal out. So with a full English breakfast, cheese sandwiches at lunch, a few snacks in-between and a set meal at night I’m not sure it has balanced out correctly today. We finished off at the Showboat, as seen on TV listening to Jill Ryan who earlier had been hosting the karaoke at Armanello, she is a brilliant singer.

Day 28 Thursday 18th of February

Up and out 4 miles brisk walk, then called at the Peppermill for a small English breakfast, Sue wants to do the beach today, we haven’t actually been on the beach yet, and we have been here for 28 days, she has picked the cloudiest day so far, but we are doing the beach and we did for a couple of hours, I didn’t take my shoes and socks off and here's the reason why lol.

and only took my coat off for a short while when the sun did show its self, back to Kev and Mags for a drink and a cal for a couple of hours its quite cold today, Chicken hut tonight for our meal we have not been here yet so ill let you know the outcome. The out come was very good, the chickens are cooking on spits in front of you so you get the full aroma of the chicken, a large plate of salad and a plate of chips with half a cooked and flavoured chicken. All helped down with Cervesa and Sangria. Them it was back to the camp bar there was Karaoke, Bingo, sticky 13 and play your cards right, it was packed.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Day 29 Friday 19th of February

4 mile brisk walk all 3 of us in lovely sunshine this morning albeit a little windy, the weather in February tends to be a bit windy and colder when not in the sun, while Sue gets ready for the Market at Alfas Del Pi, we walked up at took the dog so I would have someone to talk to while Sue did he browsing, more baby stuff bought lol. We called and had a coffee and a flaky cream bun before setting of back and then played Rummikub at Rick and Nita’s. I was the only one that did win a game, it’s a must that we get this game when back in the UK. Joyce is returning to Spain today. friends from Almanello site so it’s a get together at the Mandarin to welcome her back to Spain apparently when anyone leave for home or returns it’s the mandarin, it’s as good an excuse as any I suppose, 16 of us this time we will soon be booking the whole restaurant. On to the Tropical bar for a few of us younger ones lol.

Day 30 Saturday 20th February

4 miles just me and Defa today again in lovely sunshine, cooked breakfast at the motorhome, today its El Cisne market, how many markets can a man do in a week, they are all different but yet all the same if that makes any sense at all, anyway I only did a bit of the market and went and sat I the café people watching with a coffee and some chips. I have done quite a lot of walking today because we then walked into Benidorm to the china shops Sue wants some stuff for Granddaughter number 5`s shower party, so after an hour sat in the red hot afternoon sun outside the china shop we continued to the marymas for something else, I don’t ask what these days lol and tonight is party night it is our last Saturday night in Spain so Benidorm here we come, starting in the newly opened Silver Dollar bar, very nicely done out and beer only 1.50 a pint, then to the Neptunes bar/Morgans tavern as seen on TV, Gary Barlow and ABBA, not at the same time though lol, at the Western bar was Pablo Bloom a very good all round musician, singer, entertainer and the rest of the night sort of becomes a blurr if you know what I mean, I can remember getting a taxi home in the wee hours.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Day 30 Saturday 20th February

4 miles just me and Defa today again in lovely sunshine, cooked breakfast at the motorhome, today its El Cisne market, how many markets can a man do in a week, they are all different but yet all the same if that makes any sense at all, anyway I only did a bit of the market and went and sat I the café people watching with a coffee and some chips. I have done quite a lot of walking today because we then walked into Benidorm to the china shops Sue wants some stuff for Granddaughter number 5`s shower party, so after an hour sat in the red hot afternoon sun outside the china shop we continued to the marymas for something else, I don’t ask what these days lol and tonight is party night it is our last Saturday night in Spain so Benidorm here we come, starting in the newly opened Silver Dollar bar, very nicely done out and beer only 1.50 a pint, then to the Neptunes bar/Morgans tavern as seen on TV, Gary Barlow and ABBA, not at the same time though lol, at the Western bar was Pablo Bloom a very good all round musician, singer, entertainer and the rest of the night sort of becomes a blurr if you know what I mean, I can remember getting a taxi home in the wee hours.

Day 31 Sunday 21st February

Out with dog 4 miles again, Sue is not so well today we think she may have what I had with my throat although mine was a lot worse lol.
I went to Polop on my bike, approx. 19 miles round trip,

I really enjoyed it, there is a cycle path all the way from the centre of Benidorm along the CV70 and it goes to Guadalest. We jst chilled the rest of the day and had sunday lunch in the van.

Day 32 Monday 22nd February

brisk walk again, then on to Almafra for the weekly session of line dancing, I didn't line dance I just drank beer and wrote the instructions down for the dances so we can practice later, although I know we will never practice at least we will have the option to. A short walk to the pepper mill for arly evening dinner to find it doesn't open on Mondays, so we continued to walk down the street looking for somewhere to eat and im thinking I can see us endig up in the Mandarin again, but we didn't we ended up in the Yorkshire Pride 3 pub, a good old tradition Spanish pub lol not. I had chicken and musheroom pie chips peas and gravy followed by cherry lattice pie and ice-cream and it was very nice and here's the moon just appearing from around the Mountain.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Day 33 Tuesday 23rd of February

Up at 7.30 and out with Defa, breakfast in the camp restaurant, and then off the Guadalest a short 12 mile journey inland to the mountains, courtesy of Kev and Mags, Mick, Carol, Rick and Nita is going in Micks car, me Sue and Carol are going with Kev and Roger is following on his scooter. after about 16 miles and heading towards the sun and coast we realized we had taken a wrong turn, just short of Altea Roger pulled up at the side of us laughing and said if you want to get to Guadalest follow me. So we did and shortly afterwards we were reversing away from the toll booths on the AP7, lol so 3rd attempt went well and we arrived in Guadalest a beautiful small tourist village in the mountains, lots of bars, souvenir shops and museums. we walked up to the top and the views were amazing.

we then went to the Dam the water level was probably about 30 feet lower than what is should be, giving the lay put of the dam a different shape.
We then went on to the motorbike museum which was very good it is in the middle of nowhere.
We had a fantastic day out and then me and Sue finished the night off with a lovely romantic meal at the Eastern Spice Indian restaurant in Benidorm.

Day 34 Wednesday 24th of February
dog walked and then another full English breakfast, don't panic I've burnt 600 calories off with dog so I'm balanced lol. ive forgot what else we did Wednesday lol ill fill it in later

Day 35 Thursday 25th of February

OMG its the last day today, we set off back in the morning so some packing up to do today its so sad but we are going home for a nice reason remember. bikes away, groundsheet cleaned all packed up, we had a walk into Albir to make an appointment for Defa at the vets, its 4pm this afternoon. the usual coffee stop Sue had a crepe with strawberries and apples and cream, I had a slice off dry toast, the bill was 8 euro, we could have had 2 full English for less money at the camp. some last minute shopping by Sue and then to Kev and Mags for a drink, back to the vets (El Valle In Albir) at 4 and they were brilliant compared to the vets in La Manga last time. the young lady vet spoke brilliant English she examined and checked him over generally, she took a stool sample for eggs or worms (all clear) she gave him a flea and tick treatment and the tapeworm tablets then stamped the passport all for 32 euros the one in La Manga charged me 46 euros and only gave a very quick once over.
we are all going to the Mandarin tonight for our farewell send off apparently its mandatory lol.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back