Starting a 12 month career break to go motorhoming (1 Viewer)

Gin Palace

Free Member
Apr 30, 2015
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
Newbie!
Nice one, longest we have done is 5 weeks a couple of years ago, where will you be in Spain for Christmas we are stopping at La Manga mar menor on the coast near Murcia.
We are staying at Bellavista for xmas near Estapona and Marbella.

Rick&Bianca

Free Member
Oct 4, 2015
Essex
Funster No
MH
Rented
Exp
Am super jealous reading all these stories of your adventures..... currently begging him for us to retire now and start ours.....

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Took motorhome to garage and had final checks all is well I had the wheels took off and balanced, they havnt been off for a while I didn’t want to find myself with a puncture and not being able to get the wheels off.

Its now Friday the 20th of November only one more day to wait, we have had 3 more leaving dos this week, one at the shuag, a takeaway at Dales and a night at the Bluebell for a change, Sue has been a pain in the side oops I mean Sue has a pain in the side for the last few days and we put it down to nerves and eccess food and drink.

Today is the day we leave for sunnier skys, its been a long time coming but were ready yippee. The plan is that we will set off at midnight tonight nice steady drive to Portsmouth to arrive there for about 9am loads of time, I can feel another leaving do coming on, our Lisa turns up for her weekly Chinese takeaway so a few pounds lighter in the pocket and a few pounds heavier on the waste and Sue just happens to mention that she went to doctors yesterday regarding the pain in the side and apparently unknown to us the doctor says it could be grumbling apendisities, Lisa says WHAT, do you know you can die from a busted appendics, worries start to set in Sues pain suddenly gets worse, phone calls to out of hours GP`s ha none avaiable so advice was go to A&E, the time is now 10 pm 2 hrs before we set off and Sue and Lisa are on their way to Pontefract A&E, I thinks they shouldn’t be too long so Ill pull the camper out of the drive ready, at 12 oclock I gets a phone they are not sure and need to speak with sugical team at another hospital, 12.30 I gets a call they have addmitted Sue she has to go to ward 32 at Pinderfield hosptal on the surgical ward. Stress is not the word, I arrives at the hospital at 1am only an hour behind, doctor sees Sue at 2am, only 2 hours behind, he want the registrar to examine her, Sue is now in a state of absolute panic her blood pressure is up she is shaking like a leaf. I wanders off to a quiet corner to ring Brittany ferries, to see what our options are, they are closed till morning so I looks up at the sky and says now I understand there has been a few! No more than a few alterations to the trip over the last few months because of one thing and another, so if anybody is trying to tell me something make it a bit more obvious I’m a bit slow on the fate thing. The registrar arrives at 3am now 3 hours behind and after a lot of questions and pulling and prodding he says, now I cannot be certain but I don’t think its appendicitis, I asks what percent are you sure it’s not, I can’t be 100% he says but I am 90%, I says that will do for me I would have been happy with 60% so we actually set off just after 4am what an end to a 440 day build up.

We arrived at the port on time all the stress now left behind. We parked up waiting to board the PORT AVEN I took a photo of the line of vehicle posted it on face book and received a call from Jonny Midd who had heard of the nights goings on, he said the photo on face book have you noticed what lane you are stood in

On board now we’ve set off, dogs kennels are quite large, in the lift with another 5 dogs that was interesting, Sue didn’t like leaving the dog in the kennels but when she say the size of our room she though he had the best deal.
Day 1
On board Port Aven very nice crossing taking 24hrs had a good sleep, Defa the dog was quite content with it all.
Day 2
Arrived at Santander to sunshine with some clouds, we put some fuel in and set off non toll route to Burgos 115 miles nice steady 2hrs passing some beautiful mountains all covered in snow, arrived at Burgos and the sat nav tried to send us down what looked like a cycle track to the camp site but im not that daft so I ignored it and entered up in the city centre at rush hour, so then I followed the sat nav down this cycle track only to be stopped by a local Spaniard telling me no passa, obviously many have done this before because he waved to turn around and said sigo todo recto a la primero rotunda gira isquierda, I have limited understanding in Spanish but I have done directions and I knew what he said so we turned around and followed his direction and then saw sighs for the campsite. Once we were parked up I looked at the acsi camping book that does actually say do not follow sat navs once off the main road so I will read instruction next time. Oh and we also called off at Lidl on route and got stocked up with food.

Day 3.

After a good night’s sleep with plenty of rain, I took Defa for a walk we walked about 3 miles and when I got back asked Sue to look behind my ears to see if I had 3 6`s because something strange is happening firstly with all the changes, then Sue at the Hospital etc, then parking in lane 13 waiting to board a French boat what could go wrong. I then takes Defa for a walk this morning and causes a road collision, on my way back I took a detour across this road where there was a zebra crossing I crossed one road and waited in the middle there was a wagon a car and a van behind that, the wagon stopped to let me cross the car stopped behind the wagon but the van behind the car didn’t and smashed into the back end of the car, I just walked across the road without looking back lol.

BURGOS is a busy city not really for tourists, we walked about 5 miles looking for the Cathedral, we did find it and it was quite impressive, its quite cold only 6 degrees, we got back to the camper about 5 and put heater on we are going to go straight to Valencia tomorrow about 350 miles.

Day 4

We set off for Valencia about 10 am travelling 350 miles arriving at about 5.30 Spanish roads are a pleasure to drive on, not one hold up for the full 350 miles try doing that on the M1. We did it again missed a turning in Valencia sending us around many roundabout and I’m sure we went round some twice. Free WIFI on camp site so I have updated the blog.

Day 5 Col Vert Valencia Acsi 2538 book says if you can put up with some surrounding noise it’s well worth it, the site IS lovely but the nearby road is not.

Very windy during the night woke up after a poor sleep to sunshine but still very windy so we walked instead of going to Valencia on the bikes the first 3 miles along the beach Defa was like a pup again he loved the sand and chasing the waves.

Valencia was further than we thought we walked a total of 12 miles Ok I will admit it I got it wrong and added an extra couple of miles cause I thought a road looked like a short cut and it didn’t, the wind did subside and we sat having a beer or two in the sunshine in the centre of Valencia, we had a steady walk back mainly because we were shattered. Sat outside camper for the rest of the sunshine. Valencia is a very

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Glory ! What a cliff hanger ! Glad all went well in the end and Sue is OK.

Safe journey and keep writing.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
I'm really not sure what I'm doing with. Photos or the updates for that matter will update tonight although it's nothing spectacular it's just life but Nicer

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
keep going !! im reading that,,,,valencia is what???? dont leave me hanging bro (lol) did he get the girl???

Probably fallen off his perch....That's what happens if you leave it to late to start living:)

looking forward to next episode....

Edit: his back!:D

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Valencia busy place and very modern. Jalfrezi for tea Ha Ha don't know why it didn't add on to my last post

Day 6 Friday Benisol Benidorm

Travelled down to Benidorm approx. 2+ hours all motorway very nice ride, we have not used any tolls yet and not intending to as we are not going anywhere as such.

Arrived in Benidorm then put the co-ordinates for one of the 3 acsi sites on our way to them we stopped at 2 sites to check prices 27 euro per night plus extra for electric we carried on to acsi site no1 which was BENISOL 2510 this looked very nice so we didn’t bother with the other two 16 euro per night including electric, outdoor and indoor pool, indoor pool which is heated, lovely restaurant and bar, very clean site, plenty of long termers here, mainly Netherlands and Britain. We sampled the local beers and food menu of the day 2 courses for 9 euro and at 2 euros a pints it like being at Weatherspoon’s, we are easily pleased we may stop here a while lol.

Day 7 Saturday

Up early and cycled to the sea front, about 2 miles with defa in his cart, I don’t think they have the carts in Spain as we cycled down the promenade all the Spanish we pointing and smiling I felt like royalty. 11oclock went to look at the supermarket ended up sat in sun with a pint then another with some tortilla, then crashed out on the sunbeds for an hour or two. I may just copy and paste today for Day 8 lol

Day 8 Sunday day of rest and Susans birthday

Benidorm hosts a large Sunday market we did about half of it and that was too much so many people and so little space (Ingomels comes to mind) we carried to the front where there was a marathon being run they had come back in to town and were finishing by doing laps of the first two streets from the promenade. Very very busy, we went back to camp site and found the pub again, after all we are creature of habit.

We met a couple in the pub from between Doncaster and Scunthorpe and they told us about some places to visit and some eateries they have a permanent chalet on the site.

Back to the van to sleep off the couple of pints then glad rags on and headed for the town, We met a couple at the bus stop who were going for a Chinese meal so we ended up gate crashing on them and spent most of the night with them, beautiful meal at the Mandarin restaurant 2 X 3 courses and a bottle of emperrada for a total of £7.64 we will be back as they say. Visited a few bars with entertainment, well some of them I would call it entertainment, taxi back to site and finished off with the last one in the bar they were just closing but they are so friendly here lol.

Day 9 Monday

The best night’s sleep so far I wonder why that was, woke up to sunshine again shorts and tea shirt on and out with Defa, we then cycled into Albir and Altea two smaller coastal villages much smaller than Benidorm very nice places Defa had a slight altercation with 2 Spanish dogs (viva la British). We spend a couple of hours at our new friends drinking with the talk of food again. Later in the evening we watch a film( the Spy) quite good with Jason Statham.

Day 10 Tuesday

We got up late I took dog out while sue cleaned up a bit, I did just over 3 miles down some tracks there is a lot of dogs I Spain and they all bark. 1st time today to don the swimming costumes and go in the heated indoor pool, the only problem is that you have to go passed the bar to get to the pool. Well Sue saw someone in the pool and said why don’t we have a drink and wait for them to come out of the pool, what Sue wants Sue gets so we stayed in the bar its only 11am. We did get in for a swim to find ourselves back in the bar on the way back, the only trouble with that is that u have to sleep off the beer in the sun, apparently its a Spanish law. Well that hours sleep developed into a few hours so we didn’t end up going out for a meal, but there’s always tomorrow.

Day 11 Wednesday

Up early it’s a bit over cased today and doesn’t feel as warm, 3 miles with dog, then out into Benidorm on bikes we went along playa Lavante to the ricion de Loix and then along the next beach ive forgot the name, 12 miles in total and obviously calling at the obligatory bars on the way, its life Jim but not as we know it. For some reason when we get back to the camp site the bikes won’t go straight on and always turn into the site bar. Lol it has not been as warm today only 18 degrees and cloudy. I didn’t tow the dog in his trolley al the way today I let him run at the side of me so he is ready for a good sleep, while we go for a Chinese meal at the Mandarin (cheap as chips).

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
WP_20151202_11_47_32_Pro.jpg WP_20151202_11_23_12_Pro.jpg WP_20151126_10_21_37_Pro.jpg Benidorm hotel, Benidorm church and dog first footprints in the sand lol

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Day 12 Thursday

Beautiful meal last night at the WOK mandarin restaurant, I would highly recommend it.

Nice steady day today we walked into Benidorm Sue had her nails done and I had an haircut, the sun is shining well today loads on the beach. Rest of the day chilling Sue said we were having a beer free day today ha ha that didn’t happen.
WP_20151203_12_57_08_Pro.jpg

Day 13 Friday leaving Benidorm

It’s a beautiful morning again only a short walk with Defa, we are packing up and moving a bit further down towards Alicante, we settled our bill 96 euros for 7 nights and drove north for 10 miles to visit the calpe, we only spent an hours or so there but it loos well worth a stay next time I say next time because her who shall be obeyed wants to go south, we called and did a big shop lol on way and arrived at a small town called La Campello at the costa Blanca site another Acsi 2517 it looks like a nice site but quite small and access to the pitches is tight, I had about 6 people giving instruction when pulling on the pitch. We went the site bar tonight, Sue turned the handle on the glass door and nothing I turned the handle and nothing there was about 30 people inside and I knock on a window disturbing about 10 people sat around a table and gestured in sign language, how do we get in, they all pointed to the door, I said its locked a guy stood up came to the door turned the handle and SLID it open, lol I know how to make an entrance.
WP_20151204_17_29_42_Pro.jpg
WP_20151204_17_29_52_Pro.jpg
WP_20151204_17_32_47_Pro.jpg

Its only a 10 min walk to the coast line and marina, there seems to be more Swedish on this site. We will explore more tomorrow.

Day 14 Saturday Costa Blanca in La Campello Asci 2517

Out on bikes did 14 miles we called at another Acsi site in La Campello it looks nicer set out than Costa Blanca, we have booked for 7 nights at La Jardina Acsi 2518 from tomorrow

The coastline at El Campello is beautiful it goes on for miles a nice promenade to cycle or walk down, it is very Spanish which is a massive contrast to Benidorm which is English, you go into a Spanish bar in Benidorm and ask for dos cervasa por favor and the reply is “ok mate ill bring um over”.

Day 15 Sunday El Campello El Jardin Acsi 2518

The Costa Blanca camp site is tight for space but I wold certainly come back as the staff are very friendly and the facilities are very good. Electric is 4 kw free then 30 cents per kw, we checked out paying 90 cents for electricity and started our journey of 4.6 miles to the next site El Jardin Acsi 2518, 16 euro per night including electric, they have much bigger pitches and the site is better set out, on the down side they don’t do pint glasses at the bar, The promenade is very busy today with all Spanish families from toddlers to great grandparents all out together something we English has lost, (family time). El campello is a very nice place, good cycle paths and walks, the tam way runs all along the coast and looks quite impressive as it winds its self around the hills and coast. Sue cooked a Sunday dinner and was washed down with some Empararrdo wine. A walk along the beach to finish off a perfect day.

Day 16 Monday

Looks cloudy today and Sue said yesterday that she wanted to go on the beech today so that’s what we are doing, packed all the towels and bits etc and set off I said if we are going on beech then we should also go in sea and we did, it was freezing I went up to my thighs as it hurt to go any further if you know what I mean. We laid on the beech then for about 30 mins and decided it was cold as it was quite cloudy. We cycled back to the camp where it was brilliant sunshine so we got the chairs out and chilled out for a while.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Day 17 Tuesday
We had a bit of a lay in today up at around 9 quickly got dressed and went out with defa we walked across the spare land near the camp site so defa could have a run then continued past the camper spot called El Campello beach they charge 13 euro per night the park was quite full and looked like a car park with not much room between each of the units. I am paying 16 euro per night and have my own fenced off plot with all the facilities you need, I'm not sure why people opt for the camper spots rather than sites for the sake of 3 euro and we have a pub and swimming pool, everyone to their own.

We continued down the narrow streets to the prom which is about 800 yards from the camp site, there is always someone on the prom either walking as a group, jogging, riding bikes, we had a walk on the prom late last night and there was still a good amount of people doing the same.

We decided to do a bit of exercise so we picked a structure and set off jogging to another chosen point, then walked so far, we did this for about a mile and then sat down outside McDonalds in the sun, £1.05 for 2 coffees and a mc muffin, I know we have just done exercise and then ate a muffin, we deserved it. Its now 10 am and the sun is lovely and warm shinning beautifully and reflecting off the calm waters of the Mediterranean what a start to our day. We set off back to the camp via a different route finding a small commercial area with lots of different shops only about two thirds of the shops are open I'm not sure whether this is because of the time of year or because there is a 3 day Spanish holiday Sunday Monday and today. Back at the camp site I checked my endomundo app and we had done 5 miles, by this time it was just before 12 and it was sunbathing time, we were go to cycle to Alicante today but the sun is calling so we can do that another day. I love just chilling on my reclining chair in my shorts (sorry for the image) watching the world go by, people with their own things to so, washing pots in the outdoor sinks, several camper vans getting there periodic spring clean, dogs being taken for a walk and the cleaners busy earning there crust. Defa is crashed out at

In the shade at the back of the camper he just tends to sleep between walks although he is getting a lot more exercise than when at home. Then Sue puts her phone on the boom box and shatters the peace and tranquillity lol.

After a couple of hours sunbathing it was decided to go to the shop for supplies, we normally cycle to the shop with defa`s trolley to carry the shopping back in and this time was no exception, so bikes unlocked and trolley built up and off we only after asking our neighbours if they needed anything, we went to the consum supermarket which was closed, not to worry we know another shopping centre further along the road so off we went and yes you guessed it Closed. I did mention earlier that Spain had 3 days holiday didn’t I well I forgot for the moment, so we were back quite quickly, while dinner was being cooked and too many cooks spoil the broth I updated my blog, I’ve been waiting to a opportune moment to get the laptop out and update but then I find that I cannot remember what we have done, so today I updated my phone and then transferred across to the lap top, and hope that works I have so many copies on different devices.

Dinner was beautiful and we divided to get our clad rags on and go onto the front for a drink, we walk another 1.5 miles which at home we wouldn't dream if doing just for a drink, but walking here is brill, its still about 14 degrees and a clear sky, we ended up in a bar next to Mc Donald's who were doing a special 2 pints and a plates of battered chicken a sauce dip and crisps, all for 5 euro about £3.50 after a couple of pints we succumbed to the call of macydees and a large strawberry desert finish off with a coffee then a steady walk back along the front to bed

Day 18 Wednesday

I set the alarm for 7.30 because I want to photograph the sun rise and somehow it went off at 7 only we didn't realise this until we were dressed and ready for out, we got to the sea front and the sun was still in bed but we didn't have to wait long, unfortunately there was a lot of haze and cloud about so it wasn't the sunrise I would have liked but here it is anyway and yes y guessed it sausage and egg mc muffin to finish so much for living the Spanish life style, oh well.

After another 3 miles done we got ready for the local Spanish market apparently bargains galore, we cycled there and took the trolley and I'm glad we did we spent over 30 euros just on fruit and veg I could have done with a tractor. We tried a different route to the market but still ended up riding along the promenade. The town has about 4 streets that run parallel with the prom and the all one way and all eventually lead to the prom. The market is in the harbour side if El Campello which is 2.6 miles from our camp site, the market had about 60 stalls selling all the usual coats, bags knickers, tools, shoes there was a van selling cooked chicken we got one for dinner then you went underground to the fruit and veg market which was mad crammed with busy shoppers al very vocal no English being spoken anywhere.

The sun was shining so we made a detour to the marina on our way back and yes, we stopped for a pint just outside to marina, we were talking to two couples from Wales a brother and sister, one of them had a place in El Campello and the others were thinking about it, the did own camper van from IH campers in Knottingley, which is 10 miles from where we live (small world hey) we live near Knottingley and bought our camper from Wales and they live in Wales and bought their camper from Knottingley. Then suddenly where has the sun gone where have these clouds come from and why is it so cold,

We cycled quicker going home as it was quite nippy but think on I am in a tea shirt and shorts in December.

I was probably pulling about 50kgs in the trolley as we had called and got 6 bottles of water from lidl on are way home, there is just one hill and didn't I know it. It was a unanimous decision to stay in the camper this afternoon and play some game's, cards and board games lol ��.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Day 19 Thursday
Don't feel very well this morning, its a wonder because I can remember playing cards and winning, drinking Amstel, then Baileys with Amstel chasers, carver, Vodka and coke, wine I can tell you this, if the boat had sank last night we would have drowned for sure. Pour old defa had to take me for a walk and get me back home. Having said that we still managed a 3 mile walk taking in the back streets of El Campello, noticing how many people were ready for work, lots of people wearing rucksacks, riding bikes, dressed u. Uniforms and overalls, its a great feeling to be un shorts and no work to go to, and it has been raining during the night and just the odd spot now. No Mc Donald's today how will I cope?
We are going into Alicante on the tram today apparently its easy, I will let you know. We got to the nearest station (Caribines) 3 mins after the tram had gone and it is a chilly so rather than stand around we walked to the next station and it is easy similar to using the tube in London, you get in anywhere along the tram and go to a ticket machine enter number of tickets required put your money in and hey presto two tickets, it is a set price for the whole length of the line, 1 stop or 10 stops 1.45 euro each.

We arrive in Alicante 20 mins later up a very steep escalator you then have to scan you ticket to get out which we didn't know so keep you tickets lol.
As you emerge from underground the speed of people, cars, buses, wagons and the like oh dear where is my peace and tranquillity, we went straight for the port and it has some lovely expensive yachts of all sizes, I know I said no McDonalds this morning bit we saw a Mc cafe, a sort of upmarket McDonalds people tall lattes and chocolate cake both of which was worth the extra cost.
Alicante is very very busy doing the normal stood outside the shops while waiting for Sue cars, cars, cars galore horns tooting, people running across the road, motorbikes weaving between traffic its chaos get me out of here. Sue has done a bit of retail therapy,

we fancied something different to eat and after passing many different type of cuisine we opted for a chicken and kebab pizza washed down with water yes water, now that is something different. Tram back to El Campello and the obligatory bar this time a very contemporary bar on the front called cafe-mar, it’s a very nice place but I have just paid the bill and at 3.50 euro a pint we won't be back. The diet has taken a nose dive today, cooked breakfast, pizza for lunch and Rogan josh for dinner and its only 5 o'clock. Retired for the night with a good film

Day 20 Thursday
Same routine again today with a walk only we did 4 miles and a salchita and huevo mc muffin, it is very quiet along the prom this morning maybe because its not as warm there are large rain Clouds above but still dry at the moment, our walk in a morning now consists of walking and running Sue is loving it lol. We are moving on today going a few miles further south not sure exactly where yet. Mandatory stop at lidl on way for yet more supply's I keep telling her there's only two of us. 21 miles along coast road we arrived at Santa Pola we drove by the acsi site that is just off to the right No. 2542, it is terraced site surrounded by waste land, we then checked the route in to town and to the beach which was a very busy road with no cycle paths, we didn't get a feel for it so we continued to Guadamar del segura only about 8 miles further down coast to the Marjal site Acsi 2520.

This is a very nice site, plenty of space to manoeuvre the moho and good size pitches, it is very clean with plenty of faculties, There is a Mercado, Lidl, large china supermarket and Iceland all only about 10 mins bike ride, those earlier rain clouds didn’t develop into anything and the sun shone again although it was 20 degrees its feels colder today.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
We cycled to the shops and got some more supplies, mainly hardware and Christmas stuff this time, in the evening we had a walk around the campsite looking at all the Christmas lights and decorations that people have pit up around there pitches and there was some beauties, not only decorations but units they are amazing, there are caravans, campers, motor homes, 5th wheeler's and RVs they made my auto trail Cheyenne look very small.

Day 21 Guadamar

We got the television tuned in last night to the site and got English channels so we watch coronation street and then carried on watching until 12.30 am you would think we hadn't seen a tele before, its a whole new adventure this morning we don't know where the walks, prom, town or anything is yet. We set of out of the camp and turned right there is a series of paths that go over several foot bridges towards the beach, there is a protected area with protected plants that you are not allowed to walk on so they have build long raised walkways

for you to access the area and look at the plants and tree's.

The beach is not manned or of a touristy type there are no signs apart from saying it is not manned and there for no rescue available. It is sandy with some washed up sea weed and bamboo canes that defa loved to carry and fetch, we walked fir about a mile and a half and turned back but the beach just goes on and on in the distance, 3 miles done and no sign of a McDonalds. We then cycled into town with Defa in tow looks like a nice town plenty of shops and bars/cafes 10 miles done in total. Back to camp for a look around the facilities' out door pol looks very nice there is also a indoor heated pool, tennis courts, table tennis, volley and netball pitches a gym and sauna/spa all free for campers to use, we tested the service in the bar, well you just have to don't you lol.

After a couple we went back to the moho to sort the washing out and get ready we are eating out tonight, I watched a bit of toy story while sorting stuff out and glad rags on. We had the menu of the day chefs pasta, chicken chips followed by a Spanish cake and cream and one drink for 19.95 euro (£14.25) it wasn't brill but it was ok.

Then its X factor we haven't seen I for 3 weeks and wasn't that duet with Louisa and Rita brilliant. Good night.

Day 21 Sunday

3.22 miles and this is why it is so good to get up in a morning and straight down onto the beach and the idea of this living the dream isn't to do extraordinary things or to laugh all the time, or to be doing different things everyday it is to see what its like to live your life, not getting up for work and being able to make your own decisions and to be able to do what you want to do in a warmer place thous spending more tine outdoors.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Walk down the canal towards Guardamar, and the Wok Buffet does a great all you can eat Chinese - about €9 last year, and in staggering distance of Marjal!

camperstop messines

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Sao Bartolomeu de Messines
Funster No
MH
Sold it, not happy
Exp
Since 2008
I miss my motorhome. We left day after Christmas 2008 and headed south, follow the sun was our motto. Had wonderfull months in Spain, loved Portugal, got very wet in France and had the best summer weather in Scandinavia, 24h a day sunshine. Nordkapp turned out the be a waste of time and money, but Lofoten were lovely. Biggest, unexpected discovery of our trip: Tsjech Republic. Decided in the south of Italy to never go back home and start a new life in the Algarve, Portugal. We now enjoy 300 days of sunshine, life is good. But I do miss our free, adventurous motorhome life, with lots of very nice and friendly people. So enjoy every minute of your trip and write down every detail, you will enjoy reading it years later !

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Walk down the canal towards Guardamar, and the Wok Buffet does a great all you can eat Chinese - about €9 last year, and in staggering distance of Marjal!
We have been tonight it was very nice 29 euro for 2 and a bottle of emparado

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
And this is what I mean, there was Line dancing at the bar a show or that's what we thought so we picked a table in the middle so as not to be sat out of it and we were surrounded by tables of people who obviously long term and know each other and the music started and everybody apart form us 2 got up and started line dancing, leaving just me and sue sat ha ha I felt like a spare dancer at a line dancing comp but here we are 6 pints later sun beaming down on us and we are loving it.
The rest of the evening was a bit of a blurr spent in front of the Tele, go Louisa Johnson.

Day 22 Monday 14-December

2.74 miles along beach, its a little cooler today compared to yesterday but I guess it is only 9am.

Cycling to an urnabizion called la marina and I'm sure we visited this place a few years ago with parador properties on a buying trip, there are lots of expats here and most of the shops appear to be run by Brits, all the people we saw while sat having a coffee with mince pie and cream were British. The village is about 3 miles inland from the camp site access via a long straight road. The weather has warmed up now coats are off, tea shirt and shorts are the dress of the day on the 13 of December brilliant shops in the centre of the village include tradition chip shop, an Indian, a Chinese, pizza and kebabs two pubs the hogs head and the George how British does it sound now.

We tried the fish and chips and very nice too. We were talking to an old gent who had been there for 15 years he was now 80 and he stayed in the same camp as us, had a walk to the village lived it and bought a property there and has been there ever since.

We cycled around the village which has places for sale from 30,000 euros (£22,000) quite a lot of long term rentals from 250 euros a month. Umm that's another option.

When we got back to the camper I went to fasten Defa up and hey presto no lead, I had it slung around my neck and shoulders and used it last when we had fish and chips, so after a 10 mile bike ride, I jumps back on my bike and back tracks where we had been and low and behold there it was in the road outside the Santander bank where we stopped to get some money out, so another 8 miles done to save the lead. Sun still shinning when I got back so an hour sunbathing at front of camper with a can or 3.

Day 23 Tuesday 15-December

Up this morning slightly earlier to take dog down to beach as I am going on an organized cycle ride, every Tuesday and Saturday there is a cycle ride from the site at 10 am. I attended and had a great time we did 29 miles in total into the foot of the mountains, stopped twice once for coffee and once for beer. We travelled through some beautiful villages and some rough ones as well this ride was all on the flat so was quite easy.

Sue was on her way to the bar when we got back so I joined her. After a couple we went and got washed and changed to go out for a meal, as we are on our way we saw lots of people in the bar and wandered over to have a look and and it turned out to be happy you 5 while 6 so we said we would have a couple at the bar then go for something to eat, at about 11.30 we left the bar and not in a good state.

Day 24 Wednesday 16-December

My head is in a worse state this morning can’t get Sue out of bed so it’ss just me and defa this morning and we are not going far and certainly no running, we are not drinking like that again. A full English breakfast is the cure and we were recommended a place in la marina a 3 mile bike ride it was the hardest 3 miles ever but it was worth it. The cafe was called

The Dog House very nice indeed and I couldn't eat it all. Called at Iceland and lidl on way back to camp where there is an international maker taking place 12 till 4. sue made a couple of purchases at the Market then we laid on beds at the side of the pool listening to a singer called Kerry G she was very good we had seen her a couple of times, Sue commented that it was weird laid on sunbed at the side of the pool listening to Christmas songs being sung.

Later in the evening we finally got out for our meal at the Wok just off the roundabout as you enter Guadamar, from the outside it looks a bit run down and is part of a larger unused building, we had two thoughts whether to go in or not and we did and it is beautiful inside and the food all freshly cooked was lovely all 5 courses, and another bottle of emparrado.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Day 25 Thursday 17-December
Up earlier this morning out on beach we walked 8 miles along beach then back up through a small Spanish village called La Marina not the urbanization of the same name we visited the other day. This was totally Spanish that we called for coffee in another campsite this looked very nice and it was 5star ( la Marina international).

When we got back to the camper out came the gas cooker and full English was cooked and enjoyed well we had worked up an appetite.

And then to burn that off we went in to Guadamar on the bikes giving Defa a day off and left him asleep in the camper.the front was busy with people sat around socialising so we joined them hence the pic in facebook lol 9 miles done on bikes then I prepared dinner outside in the sun and cooked it outside, we do seem to be eating and drinking alot but I guess we are doing some excersize in-between.

We finished the evening off with a film (focus) with Will smith it was good.

Day 26 Friday 18-December

Normal out with dog but not as far today as today we leave for out Christmas stay at La Manga (Mar menor) settled our ill 106 euro for 7 nights for a serviced pitch.

We set off about 11.30 its only about 50 miles to the next site so we said we would go all the way down on the coast road instead of jumping on the motorway. We stopped at Torrevieja for more supplies from lidl and was going to stay there for a couple of hours but by the time we had our supplies and driven into town it was so busy and you have probably worked out I don't like busy places so we just continued straight to La Manga. The salt lakes around Torrevieja looked amazing with there pink haze. The instructions said when you arrive at the caravan park pull into the car park on the left and do not to reception so what did I do lol it has been a couple of weeks since reading the instructions, reception sent us to the caravan and camping club rally area on foot and we met Loraine who explained everything to us and we started looking for our pitch we could have any in K block. K Block has about 150 pitches, some taken, some vacant, some with sun in the morning and others with sun in the evening, some with high hedges and some with trees.What a dilemma for me I have to make a decision with so many options, walking around the site with my map like a newby, everybody sat out in the sun watching me some of them saw me 3 times lol. Any way we made our decision and went back to reception and booked in then quickly pitched up. We also booked a TV and internet package for a euro per day but can't have it installed till Monday. The Mar menor looks lovely from the site we can see it, frim our pitch, albeit in the distance.

After we got settled and had dinner we had a look around the site, first impressions it could do with an update, the site is very large and long it is split into 3 strips decided by 2 roads on the left of the road is the touring pitches if my calculation are correct about 700 of them, the middle strip between the two road is all the amenities reception, tennis and basket ball courts, petange (boule's) pitches, children's play area, swimming pool area. On the right hand site is permanent pitches ranging from caravan, motor homes, static caravans, and hand made type buildings made out of anything they could find. About 400 on this side. The beach is at the bottom of the site along with the mirador restaurant. The Mar menor lagoon is beautiful. we attended at the Mirador resteraunt and bar for a couple the meals look very nice and at 7 euro for fish, chips and peas or 11 euro for the menu del dia irs looks value for money.

Day 27 Saturday 19 December

Only me this morning I walked to the front of the site and measured the length if the site and it is just over half a mile long I carried along the thin strip of sand leading to playa Honda a small holiday village with not many room taken at this time of year.

At 11 oclock it was the well coffee morning for the ralliers held in the pool bar (no beer) type bar only tea and coffee and biscuits of course. They explained the weeks activities, boules, bike ride, Lin dancing, swimming in the sea in boxing day, and the indoor pool and gym is 2 euros. It only lasted about 20 mins and then we got ready and out onto the la manga strip.

There isn't many people about all the hotels are closed up fir the winter then after 10 miles we came across a bar called Paquebote in the shape of a boat it was quite busy so we stopped for a pint and the tapas was delicious, it was tortilla with layers of ham and cheese umm.

Then with the ordering I the second drinks they brought jacket potatoes stuffed with cheese and ham very nice. We set off again towards the end of the La Manga strip sort of thinking should we cycle right to the end or not, we carried on with the idea of just keep going and see what happens, we did a detour around the port and couldn't find our way out when we eventually did we had done another couple of miles. We arrived at the marker that said 6 km from the end and by this time we feeling it a bit, but we are so close we have already done 17 km if we turn around now ee would have to attempt it again, so we cracked on to the end. Pictures to prove it, 27.2 km done. We saw quite a lot of motor homes wild camping on pieces of land and closed up businesses car parks most of them were German and in groups. We set of back after taken the picture of the end of the strip, another 27 km to do and we were already flagging so was in front in the way home and at one point (and wait for this) I had to ask Sue to slow down because I couldn't keep up, can you believe that me asking Sue to slow done ont bike lol. Lets put all this in to context I was towing a 38kg German Shepard all the way as it is a build up area and all road. I have done 130 miles in one day before but I have never felt like this, I had nothing left in my legs at all. We did make it back to the beech bar after a total of 54km (32 miles) and downed a pint very quickly.

That evening after a lay down that's me not Sue we went to the bar there was a bloke singing he was very good and when he started singing Christmas songs we looked at each other and were quite emotional, first time away at Christmas from kids in 34 years. I'll have to stop typing about this now because I can feel myself filling up.

Day 28 Sunday 20-December

Out with Defa on my own again she's getting lazy lol. Then off to market after Sue had finished the ironing the market is a Sunday market at Cabo de palos some 3 km away, sounds like a nice steady walk for a Sunday morning, normal stalls at the market and the normal luck lucky man. On to the marina and harbour bars

Its amazing how many bars there is on the way back to the camp and its daily warm, so we had a bit of a stagger by the time we got back. We found a bar about half a mile from the camp called Las ramblas English run and very friendly, could be the local lol. We stopped in tonight we didn't want any more to drink and had an early night.

Day 29 Monday 21-December

Up early had some stuff to sort out and then in the bus to Cartagena 25 min bus ride for 240 euro each. a city

with castle wall and a marina,its also an industrial port that just seem to have loads of unused space

Not many people about down near the marina and only a couple of cafe's. Its 14.40 we are sat on the marina front at a cafe bar just watching the world go by, the fast Spanish chatter, the odd other language thrown in, the sea gulls atacking the bread thrown into the air by people further down at burger king, the sun is lovely,no stress no worries life doesn't get much better.

A catamaran has just pulled into the marina full of happy holiday makers that seem to have had a good time. Speed must have been involved as a few ladies were straightening their hair.

There are some fabulous buildings the town hall is built out of marble.

we saw someone off the campsite and they said that 20 mins ago you couldn't move on the street and now hardly anyone as siesta has started. We were tight on time so we said we would have a quick look around and then maybe come back later and then Sue saw a bar selling pints of beer for 1 euro and it was a mad dash back to the bus station we were nearly 10 mins late for our bus and had a 90 wait for the next one but luckily the Spanish don't do anything on time and the bus hadn't left. There is a 5 story shopping centre oh dear no time to visit it what a shame He He.

Anyway we did get back to camper in time to go for a meal, chicken curry and Sue finished of with a tarta whiskey (whiskey tart lol ) it was very nice indeed.

Day 30 Tuesday 22-December

Up as normal but did nothing all day just chilled round camper cooked breakfast outside in shorts on 22nd how good is that. Went to rambles at night got drunk.

Day 31 Wednesday 23-December

Up early and out with Defa then on bikes to Mar de Crystal a lovely resort type town just further down coast from la manga. Mar de crystal is where I pit a reserve in a penthouse property a few years ago but decided against it before paying the deposit so I'm going to look at wether I made the right decision or not It was £125,000. We had a coffee at the same cafe the sales men took us to on the beach and that us still beautiful

We then continued into los Nietos with is a little run down and in need of some TLC. Again its like a ghost town. Well I found the apartments and the price

so it looks like I would have lost 50,000 at todays prices. We then carried on and cycled to another town called los belones, a small town and quite lively with its many open bars cafes and shops along the main street. Where we visited the vets to have Defas tapeworm treatment a quick examination and 46 euros lighter passport stamped and ready for an unplanned early departure from sunny Spain. Due to some bad news from home regarding my mum she is not very well. We had a meal in the beach bar in the evening all for 11 euro each very nice place and very nice food too.
Some pics of a few units on site

Unfortunately it is our last day today, news from home on Monday, my mum isn't very well so we have got a ferry crossing on boxing day to get back to see her unfortunately the cancer has now spread to her throat and they have given her less than 3 months to live. So we will be home on Sunday night. travelling tomorrow to Burgos.

Day 32 Thursday 24 December
We received the worst news anyone want to hear my mum past away this morning, so much for 3 months.

So I'm now faced with a 490 mile drive to Burgos, we set off early and drive all day taking it steady arriving at campsite at around 7pm it was the hardest and longest drive ever, but its now done and a easy drive on Saturday to Santander. We had a walk along the river into Burgos to clear our heads but it was heaving so we had walked back to the camper. Id like to take this opportunity to thank people for ready my adventure and hope that some of the information is of use to some of you, we will certainly be back as we have loved every minute of it,

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
So sorry to hear your news. Hopefully your travels are not, finished, only postponed. Wishing you well.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Sorry to read the last part of your story.

I enjoyed the rest:xThumb:

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Sorry to hear your news but loving your daily diary. You will be back down south before you know it,

The Tincas

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back