Starter battery problem

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by pogjones, Dec 13, 2010.

1. pogjones

pogjones Read Only Funster

Hi Folks
    I am having problem starting my burstner nexxo T660 on a transit chasis.
    Two weeks ago i had to get jump leeds on it and it started ok. Yesterday i tried again and the dash just kicks on and off no matter how long the leads are left on. One thing we have noticed is that the side lights flicker when trying to start it even though they are not switched on. I am in the RAC through my insurance (Coversure) does anyone know if they will visit a private storage facility if you have the at home cover on the policy.
    Any advice would be apreciated.
    Thanks Bill.:Doh:

2. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

RAC, I would have thought so, it's a breakdown isn't it?

Sounds like batteries either 'dead' or needs a proper charge frankley.

Modern vehicles do the wierdest things with duff batteries, odd lights flashing etc, one assumes it's this daft canbus type idea:Doh:

3. Gonewiththewind

Gonewiththewind Read Only Funster

Doesn't the Home start mean Anywhere.
    I would have thought so.
    Best of luck.

Don

4. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

sorry to hear you are having problems. You said the magic words, it is in storage, so most likely no solar to keep battery topped up. Many european vehicles have sidelights on whilst the engine is running, maybe yours is one of them which would account for the flickering lights when trying to start.
    If that is not the case and they do not stay on once started then you do need to check wiring
    If parked on grass or in a farm yard you may have had a 4 legged visitor, mice love chewing wires and can easily cause a short, resulting in damage. use without investigation could result in a loom fire at the very least. disconnect the battery to prevent a fire until checked out.
    The link below might help, however once mice have got in they tend to stay. We have used one for the last few years and not had any repeat visits. Battery lasts a few months so use rechargeables and keep a spare in the van. If you suspect you may have mice use traps or bait boxes to get rid of them.

<Battery Ultra Sonic Rat Mouse Rodent Repeller>

5. Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete Read Only Funster

Might be worth checking the earth lead where it's connected to the chassis. It could be loose or corroded. A poor earth can cause strange things to happen.

Pete:Cool:

6. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Bad earth ! check connections to chassis and connections to starter solenoid.

Peter

7. Terry

Terry Funster

I tend to think you just have a kn----ed battery If you needed a jump start 2 weeks ago did you get it properly charged ? If not get it charged - vans with alarms etc, can flatten a battery in a few weeks rather than months-- Hope the battery takes a charge and a new one is not needed :thumb:
    terry

8. pogjones

Thanks or the advice folks a bad earth could be the problem but i will have the earth checked as well.
    Thanks again.
    Bill.

9. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

I have a 2006 Transit as a work van.
    I stupidly left the striplights in the back switched on in the night and the following morning I had a similar scenario to you!
    The original Ford battery never recovered from that experience and required replacement soon after.
    Good luck if you do need to replace it though- it'll be much easier if you accept the inevitable and remove the drivers seat right from the start!

10. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I used to have a similar problem before solar, in that my engine battery would be too flat to start after a couple of weeks due to running alarm, remote locking etc. With solar panel no problem.

My van is in storage and a couple of times the AA have been out to start it. OK except on one occasion the AA van got stuck in the mud and I had to tow it out (not with the MH though, Grand Vitara)

11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

if your battery was flat two weeks ago and is flat again i say its knackered and quite possibly its been frozen during the cold 'snap'.

i discharged battery will freeze as easily as water freezes and could cause internal damage.

my money's on a near future post to say you bought a new battery. :thumb:

12. pogjones

I have the rac coming tomorrow but i am continplating buying a new battery today. At least i will have a good battery if things need testing.

13. goffer

goffer Read Only Funster

I had the same sort of problem, alternater not giving enough charge, had new alternator fitted today, still not enopugh charge, turned out to be bad eart connection to the battery, renewed the earth and all is ok, so good luck in finding your fault.:Smile: