Standing on roof

Discussion in 'Swift Motorhomes' started by maison, Sep 29, 2014.

1. maison

maison Funster

On returning home from holiday I found the roof of my m/h covered in a gritty substance. It appears to have become "baked on" and is proving difficult to remove.

I am having to polish, by hand, (long handled brush will not allow sufficient pressure from ladder), using "Silky".

As I am unable to reach all parts, particularly the centre of over cab, I wonder if it is possible to stand on roof?

The m/h is a Swift Sundance. The roof feels firm but I am not convinced of its strength.

Any knowledge of this or any ideas to help ?

2. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Contact the manufacturer, give them vehicle details and your weight ! When I go up on mine it's on all fours to spread the weight.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Hymie

Hymie Funster

you may want to use a spreader board, like roofers use, to spread the weight, bit like a scaffold board.

Hymie

• Like Like x 2
  4. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

Whatever you do, just be careful!!!!:Eeek:

I had my roof cleaned by a contractor. He never got on the roof, he didn't need too. He simply put a padded ladder against the side and, using a long handled brush and cleaning agent, cleaned the roof from there :)

I used Autoglym Motorhome and Caravan cleaner to do mine the first year. Brilliant stuff :)

image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. FJmike

FJmike Funster

Maison you should be able to walk on your roof, just don't make a habit of it. A customer of mine thought that because the handbook said that he could walk on the roof that it was alright to go up there nearly every day strapping and unstrapping wakeboards (he is a fulltimer). this resulted in all his rooflights leaking.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Phill D

Phill D

i use a kiddies "body board " the foam filled type it spreads the weight and saves the knees. not thta i make a habit of crawling around on the roof on my knees :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  7. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Read Only Funster

got a swift kontiki and walk on the roof mine is solid

• Like Like x 2
  8. SMB

SMB Funster

Maison, I also have a Sundance 630L and have been on the roof a few times like a pig in tights. The OHC is a problem and, as a result, is dull in parts so I will be watching this thread for helpful comments. I use a telescopic ladder with foam on the top to get onto the roof, mainly to clean the solar panels. I weigh 16 1/2 stone and (so far) I haven't ended up inside the van yet :Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  9. grasscutter

grasscutter Funster Life Member

I also have a 630L and always walk on the roof when I clean it.
    Just stay clear of the over cab area.(y)

• Like Like x 1
  10. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

This worked for me too. Much easier than I first thought.

• Like Like x 2
  11. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Regarding cleaning of the over cab Luton (any van), I had the same problem when we had our Autoquest 100 (based on a 2004 Boxer).

Following a posting on here from Chris FreelanderUK I bought a Big Red Foot ladder (4.75m version not the smaller ones. When set up as a platform there was sufficient clearance for it to be set up over the bonnet, enabling me to reach the parts of the Luton which I could not reach from the sides.

• Like Like x 2
  12. maison

maison Funster

Thanks for all the responses.

The ladder to the side of the m/h is fine for the roof. The substance on the over cab is too strongly bonded to the surface to remove with just a brush. It appears to be a cement dust type of material and requires downward pressure on the cleaning rag, more than can be applied using the long handled brush I have.

All the comments were helpful thank you. I will tread carefully with a board to spread the weight and will probably invest in the "Big Ref Foot Ladder" for future occasions.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 1