Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Mud Island, nr Mudchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
long (with Brian) short (alone) medium (with Andy)
Not sure if this is the right area but:
Does anyone know of a place in Stamford that allows overnight l wouldn't be there till possibly 23:00 Friday night and will be leaving around 04:30 to get to Burgley house for 05:30 latest. l am marshalling a major OCR race there and briefing is 06:00 and l need to be parked up by then at the grounds.
Thanks Caro :)

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
The George Hotel Stamford is really good with excellent bars and food, one of my expense account favourites when we had a project nearby. Probably not too good for the MH though.

OP
OP
Bulawayo Lass

Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
:) no probably not l need a few hours park sleep up thats all. If l get to Burgley before 22:00 l can get into the race site it is after l have a problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If you're in your motorhome there are a couple of Britstops just outside Stamford, both 10-15 minutes from Burghley. If you're driving agree that the George is great.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I'd give the Raiway Station car park a go, which is just behind the George Hotel. It's not a mainline station, so should be quite at night. There is also the Hare & Hounds at Greatford, (a few miles out) which lets MH's park up, but you will be expected to use the facilities.

Good luck finding somewhere.

Jock. :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Problem is our arrival and departure l dont think the pubs would like it so late and early

Good point. Which direction are you coming from?

If it's Southbound down the A1 then there is a service area/truck stop type place at South Witham about 10 miles North of Stamford. It used to be a Little Chef but is called something else now. You'll be fine there although I think everything will be closed. Nobody will ever know you've been there! It's about 15 minutes from there to Burghley.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/C...590b264e!2m2!1d-0.610565!2d52.7656764!1m0!3e0

If you're coming North up the A1 then there are several similar places between Peterborough and Stamford.

If you're coming along the A43 then I would just find a lay-by.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
If it's Southbound down the A1 then there is a service area/truck stop type place at South Witham about 10 miles North of Stamford.
If you mean the Truck Stop at Colsterworth (Junc A1/A151 Bourne), then it gets very busy, can be noisy, and there is a charge. :( By all accounts, the grub in their "Trucker's Diner" is not to be recommended either. :eek:

@ Bulawayo Lass Stamford Railway Station Car Park is worth a go, during the hours that you want. (y)
BTW, are you still a regular poster on FACTS? We did communicate with you on the early morning thread for some time, but have given up trying to communicate at all on there now. :(

Cheers,

Jock.

OP
OP
Bulawayo Lass

Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not on often been a lot on and l was down after the rally l went to but l do get messages sorry about that :-( any help to message me now?

OP
OP
Bulawayo Lass

Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Sorry forgot to add coming from Manchester will look at the train station was also told today about a dead end road that looked quite good on google but was a bit out and back if that makes sense, perfect if no other options but the railway station sounds good.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Morkery Wood rural car park, just a short drive off the A1 at sign post to South Witham.
52.76277 -0.58809

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I'd give the Raiway Station car park a go, which is just behind the George Hotel. It's not a mainline station, so should be quite at night. There is also the Hare & Hounds at Greatford, (a few miles out) which lets MH's park up, but you will be expected to use the facilities.

Good luck finding somewhere.

Jock. :)

It's not really called the railway station car park it is "The Meadows" and is fine to overnight. Take the road by The George (Station Road)

Or come and park on my driveway - PE9 4UP if you need a hook up

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If you mean the Truck Stop at Colsterworth (Junc A1/A151 Bourne), then it gets very busy, can be noisy, and there is a charge. :( By all accounts, the grub in their "Trucker's Diner" is not to be recommended either

I don't mean that one. I meant the Little Chef type place at South Witham about 3 or 4 miles South of Colsterworth. I think it's known as the Fox Inn as well maybe?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I don't mean that one. I meant the Little Chef type place at South Witham about 3 or 4 miles South of Colsterworth. I think it's known as the Fox Inn as well maybe?
Yes, I know the one you mean now, and probably a bit quieter than the one at Colsterworth too. (y)

Cheers,

Jock.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
There are a couple of lay byes on the A 15 close to baston they are about 20 mins from burgh ley house, there is also a large car park at the meadows in Stamford ,there is a car park close to the railway station, Stamford it's self is a sod to park in ,there are no height restrictions at the meadows car park .
Just had a thought ,when you come into Stamford, you turn right for burgh ley house, you then head out into the countryside but there is a parking area for burgh ley ,don't think it's gated ,I'll check it out tonight ,I'll live in Stamford ,done lots of pony club stuff at the house.

OP
OP
Bulawayo Lass

Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Many thanks everyone all fantastic info for us. I have had my shift changed to end at 16:00 so all being well l get home before 18:00 dive into CB and hurtle over and get to the place before 22:00 when they shut.
Once l get back from the trip l will let you know what happened :) (11/3)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Not sure where Mud Island is exactly, but if it is the one in Fareham, then Hampshire to North Cambs on a Friday evening? :eek:
Hopefully the majority of the Friday mad rush (traffic) will have subsided, and you'll have a good run over to Burghley, but keep a plan B in mind, should time get tight. ;)

Cheers for now,

Jock.

OP
OP
Bulawayo Lass

Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
hehehe Mud Island is the whole of the UK it is how many of us from the Southern Hemisphere call UK ::bigsmile: Just l couldnt write the profile to reflect that and Manchester on ....

Daedalus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2013
North Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
If you just want somewhere to get your head down, there's a cracking lay-by just north of Stamford on the A1 near Oakham, well screened from the road and although it's used by truckers as an overnight, can't say as they've ever disturbed my beauty sleep - Co-ordinates are N52.715155 W0.592843.
Just checked it on Google Earth and it's only 8.5 miles from Burghley.

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
hehehe Mud Island is the whole of the UK it is how many of us from the Southern Hemisphere call UK ::bigsmile: Just l couldnt write the profile to reflect that and Manchester on ....
Ah, you'll have less of a problem travelling south on a Friday evening then.

The layby that Deadalus mentions above, is worth thinking of if you miss the 22.00 deadline.

Oh look, a fellow MH'er has beaten you to it. ;)
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.7...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sypCOSGrT19J9qnvIon2FiA!2e0

Safe journey tomorrow evening. (y)

Jock.

OP
OP
Bulawayo Lass

Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
P5091245.JPG

P5091245.JPG
P5091246.JPG
P5091248.JPG
P5091252.JPG
P5091263.JPG
P5091264.JPG
P5091268.JPG

OP
OP
Bulawayo Lass

Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As you see we got there on time Friday work changed my rota :) The stairs down from a huge tripple wall up and went to my platformfrom there they rolled off about 10ft to the floor obstacle 198 of 200, the last one was a huge mutli wall up and down The last one.... I went up to my slot at at 09:15 came down at 20:00 Loved it worked hard about 8000 people came down that ladder in the course of the race.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back