Jo n Steve

Free Member
Dec 2, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
We are driving the motorhome to Austria in February and staying on a campsite in Pettneu. We have never skied in St Anton, and understand that it has some fairly technical runs. As the children are still building up their confidence, we would like to do a few days in Lech/Zuers first. What I'd like to know is how easy/time consuming is it to get to these areas from St Anton?

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Lech from St Anton is a bus ride of around 30 minutes - very pretty drive. IIRC you do need to pay.
St Anton from Pettneu camp site is around 15 minutes and free.
The camp site is lovely and the wellness centre has a great pool (bit cold perhaps) and impressive sauna area (Austrian cloth less rule).
You can now ski right across to Lech as they have a new lift joining the two.
I'd guess the level of ski required is fair intermediate to do the link across.

Take care coming down to St Anton at the end of the day, especially skiing past the Kanguru Klub - there are too many, too pissed idiots and as is usual the snow is likely to be the worst there.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
p.s. I'll be there is a week :xThumb: - snow looks a bit thin but due this weekend and for the following week.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jo n Steve

Jo n Steve

Free Member
Dec 2, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
So it seems we will have a fairly lengthy bus journey initially. Hoping the kids improve quickly!
I've been keeping a keen eye on the snow report. We were so close to booking the time off to go over for Christmas and new year. Pretty pleased we are waiting. For you and everyone else going out in the next few day, I hope the conditions improve.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Snowy now in Pettneu!
image.jpg

OP
OP
Jo n Steve

Jo n Steve

Free Member
Dec 2, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Looks amazing! 3 weeks to go...so excited!
So pleased you've got some snow. Keep warm and have a blast.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
image.jpg
@bladerunner your pictures are disgusting!!!fancy showing me that beautiful vista when I am stuck here::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Sincere apologies

Try this one from Solden. Taken from new lift.
Sky's have cleared though very cold.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
sounds really good. We tried too book some sites end of Feb begining of March and they were full. Where are you @bladerunner would you recommend it? Still not made our minds up about where to go this year and we go in just 5 weeks

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
First 5 days were arlberg St Anton.
Amazing camp site with individual heated washrooms and a lovely pool and sauna complex. Free 15 min bus up to St Anton. St anton now linked with kurs by fancy lifts so big ski area.
Now in camping Solden - NOT Oztal. It is a bit municipal car park ish but small though nice sauna complex and great facilities. Easy walk to main lift. Solden itself has impressed today - lots of wide blues and reds and some good runs down through trees. It's full of SPECTRE bits from the 007 film.
We shall go next to campingplatz hell! (SIC) in fugen ski area. Not tried before but camp site scores very well.
We had planned mayerhofen as well but will probably return earlier than planned.
Last stay is Grubhof in St lofer. Another lovely site and pleasant 30 min walk to small but very friendly ski area.

All reasonably easy to get to as Austria seems to have flat bottomed valleys allowing sites to be close to main roads.

I'd recommend all, but skiing is getting very expensive.
€260+ a weeks ski pass and €300-400 per week sites if heating using leccy as well as gas.

There is no doubt that Austrian sites are well geared up for this kind of motorhome skiing.

Servus

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Skiing in eastern Europe is a fraction of the cost for ski pass and camping. If you use hook up and a radiator then your camp Site fee pays for your heating. Check out Poland Zakopane.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
everytime I find somewhere you come up with somewhere else!! camping Hell looks the place, how far to the ski areas and town etc...

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
image.jpg
There is a free bus as 08.20, 09.20 and 11.20 direct from camp site. Returns 15.17 and 16.17. Also minibus at 14.10. Not sure if we shall pay extra for that. Takes 10 mins to small '80's bubble. Fugen itself has enough for one day. High fugen looks good - going tomorrow but is another bus of 15 mins or so.

Camp site is quite spectacular with gym, nice pool, wellness centre and probably the highest quality facilities I have ever used.

Real pleasure being here so far.
View across in morning not too shabby either.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
SITREP

hoch fugen and Zillertal are a 30 min free wiggly bus ride up the mountain. Would not want to do it with a hangover.

That area large enough but v busy today as Sunday and few nice restaurants.

Return favours taking shuttle bus to panorama bahn then over top back down to fugen for 15.17 back to Hell

Will prob do one day just fugen and one more day Zillertal.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
we have booke Mayrhofen campsite...24 feb onwards

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Skiing in eastern Europe is a fraction of the cost for ski pass and camping. If you use hook up and a radiator then your camp Site fee pays for your heating. Check out Poland Zakopane.
Depends on the area you want to ski we just covered most of Tignes and Val d'Isere in a week I think the Polish area would last no more than a day!!

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Maybe
I didn't ski it just checked it out. There are four different areas to visit which would be four days at least I would imagine. You'd need transport too to get around so it's less straight forward .
Can't really compare it to the alps for scale and size of course. Zakopane was a lovely resort town though. Organic not function built.
It would be smaller and less busy and cheaper. I'm happy to do runs multiple times and love to ski where it's not crowded.
I had no idea this existed so wanted to spread the word.

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Lech and Zurs are two of the best places Ive skied - felt like a moon landscape and was not at all busy compared to st Anton. I think a lot of people don't bother to take the journey as st Anton is so large and well known.
We were impressed when we heard from a tour guide we met who had skied everywhere that it was his favourite place ever (Zurs)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Yes there are loads of cheap ski areas in the pyrenees and small french ones in the alps also bulgaria etc but I suspect you get what you pay for!!!

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Early morning, camp Grubhof, St Martin bei Lofer. This would be a good resort for beginners. Friendly and learner friendly runs but limited for more advanced skiers. Better value restaurants than most and Grubhof is a lovely site.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
Jo n Steve

Jo n Steve

Free Member
Dec 2, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
It looks fantastic, wish we had a little more time and done a little more research.
Thank you for keeping us updated on the sites you've visited...something to go on next time.

OP
OP
Jo n Steve

Jo n Steve

Free Member
Dec 2, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
@bladerunner How have you found the roads? We are going to rely solely on M&S tyres and chains. We have a tag autotrail chieftain and we struggled some whilst up in Scotland this time last year, albeit without chains.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Roads are just fine. No need for chains at all. The Austrians are awfully good at coping with snow. Main roads presently clear and dry.

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
We are driving the motorhome to Austria in February and staying on a campsite in Pettneu. We have never skied in St Anton, and understand that it has some fairly technical runs. As the children are still building up their confidence, we would like to do a few days in Lech/Zuers first. What I'd like to know is how easy/time consuming is it to get to these areas from St Anton?
Petneu great site would thoroughly recommend
Evening spectacular in St Anton worth going to once a week with night bus return to pettneu. Book a restaurant for that night if hoping to eat out as otherwise impossible
Runs down to st Christoph can be challenging ( even though it's a blue - but only in places). Lots of moguls
Try "other side of the road" in st Anton - Rendl, generally quieter and lots of fun runs but avoid the red run down to resort if not confident - quite narrow and tends to get icy in places.
That said it is a great resort , but we are off to Solden again this year as quoted by @bladerunner and have also stayed at " camping hell" last summer - it is incredible.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back